Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What coffee are you drinking just now?

nicaragua long berry bean from Hasbean.
probably my fav one from them. had to adjust the grinder as it doesn't powder up to my normal roasts.
really like it. not too strong. flavour isn't too dense. nice.

Virtual Blue said:
nicaragua long berry bean from Hasbean.
probably my fav one from them. had to adjust the grinder as it doesn't powder up to my normal roasts.
really like it. not too strong. flavour isn't too dense. nice.

Sounds good, cheers.

*makes mental note*

Do Italians really love Lavazza ?
Had enough of their blandness, not up to cycling to my coffee roaster - may try their mail order.
Was near Whittards, and thought what the heck ...
Half a pound of Guatemala Antigua please - she rang up £7.50 - I thought "sod that" and did a runner...
The best coffee in Bristol would only cost half that...

So few supermarket coffees available as beans - I've settled for a Rainforest Alliance blend ...

For supermarket beans, have you tried Marks and Spencer's Colombian?
It's okay and on offer atm.

I so rarely find beans in my nearest M&S.
Plus I only go in there every couple of years when I need socks. ;)
Thankfully I have some nice beans now - finally bit the bullet and started ordering it by post.

I so rarely find beans in my nearest M&S.
Plus I only go in there every couple of years when I need socks. ;)
Thankfully I have some nice beans now - finally bit the bullet and started ordering it by post.

that's a shame they not stock them as they're okay for High Street...
how much do you spend on coffee a month?

that's a shame they not stock them as they're okay for High Street...
how much do you spend on coffee a month?
I just bought 500g of single estate beans for about £15 - so that's £1.50 a week, £6 a month for 8 x 3/4 mugs- I only drink it on Saturday and Sunday.
Cost isn't much of an issue for me.

Virtual Blue said:
What do you think of Has Bean? Have you checked out his video reviews?
There's something very terry nutkins about him.

Love their coffee but, yeah, the reviews are a bit bonkers. 'Notes of Key Lime Pie and a caramel mouthfeel' and all that. :D

Love their coffee but, yeah, the reviews are a bit bonkers. 'Notes of Key Lime Pie and a caramel mouthfeel' and all that. :D

yeah i saw that too.
strawberry Angel's Delight springs to mind.
and there was another on Hob Nob biscuits.
Is that legit? Using a brand to sell your own brand?

Could you say 'this tastes like a Kit Kat with an acidity of lime flavoured Haribo and the sweetness of a 1p Coco Cola bottle sweet dipped in a Knorr Chicken stock cube?'

I don't know how he extracts his coffee but I sure never taste those things.

yeah i saw that too.
strawberry Angel's Delight springs to mind.
and there was another on Hob Nob biscuits.
Is that legit? Using a brand to sell your own brand?

Could you say 'this tastes like a Kit Kat with an acidity of lime flavoured Haribo and the sweetness of a 1p Coco Cola bottle sweet dipped in a Knorr Chicken stock cube?'

I don't know how he extracts his coffee but I sure never taste those things.
I've had certain chocolate/vanilla notes in coffee before. Oh and liquorice oddly enough. I've never gotten ''citrus peel, banana and toffee pecan apple'' out of coffee before :D

Had some of that Thai Peaberry ground 50/50 with Mysore beans last night - Lovely and exceptionally smooth. :)

Wrt Hasbean, I'd always recommend looking at their packs. I've most recently got an espresso pack - 5x250g for £24, delivered. Works out about £5-10 cheaper than buying separates iirc, and tends to have an interesting variety. Usually lasts me 3-4 weeks. Which is acceptable. (Tbf the FILTER packs last me 3-4 weeks; espresso will prolly last me longer :hmm: )

Lidl's Bellarom Gold, which is the type of German coffee I grew up with. It's good and cheap. I only like filter coffee and I'm not a fan of all the fancy stuff. It's a beverage, not a life style.

Lidl's Bellarom Gold, which is the type of German coffee I grew up with. It's good and cheap. I only like filter coffee and I'm not a fan of all the fancy stuff. It's a beverage, not a life style.

fair enough.
for me, it's what makes a good espresso and the freshest beans does, unfortunately it comes at a price.

I don't think any one coffee is ''fancier'' than any other. Just different. Price, I've found, isn't a good indicator of quality for coffee.

also the way the chosen method of extraction.
i like all coffee - except ones from Moka pots - too hot and I never seem to get the consistency right.

You'd recommend Hasbean over Square Mile?
Not usually.

Ime the more (painfully) expensive square beans have historically been consistently awesome.

But I've had a couple over the last 6 months that've just died on me. Like, stunning at the outset. Then it's been almost like the greens have been left by a heater or the roast is 2 weeks old - suddenly the same beans turning up weak, pale, and tasting old.

Tbh, I've had a bit of a historical frustration with Hasbean. Steve used to advertise beans as suitable for filter OR espresso. Then he had some kind of godawful epiphany, and seemed to begin roasting everything to exactly the same stage - way too dark for my liking for filter. Just bland and burnt.

*However,* tbf I hadn't tried his beans in an espresso for ages. And the espresso started pack has - so far - yielded two really good espresso blends (Blake and.... Kicker?) and one that's worked surprisingly well in filter (at work) too.

So I might have a bit of a hb renaissance.

I don't know, tbh. Ime, both HB and Square seem to go in waves - wobbling between great and dire, even within one bean / blend. That's happened to me MORE with HB but its a real kick in the teeth when it happens twice to >£22 orders from Square.

Is Square Mile good? They seem very pricey.

You guys tried the Algerian Coffee Shop in Soho (for another alternative)...?

Square work out better once you factor in the fact that their bags are 40% bigger than HB. They also tend to aim for really decent, selected beans. Whilst Steve has a fuckton of everything.

I'd historically have said that square seemed to tailor their roasts to the beans quite a bit better. And dared to roast quite a bit lighter than HB, because HB always seemed to want to recommend everything for espresso, too. Which fucks any chance of a right light roast.

But yeah. I'm a bit disappointed with square ATM, like I say.

I've only heard of the Algerian place once, I think. But in a really positive light.

Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira da Grama Bourbon Pulped Natural
This is probably the best one that HasBean have come up with for me, yet. Bloody lovely stuff. Sweeter than I'd normally go for and, by God, I think I tasted my first note of caramel. Or something. :D

Square work out better once you factor in the fact that their bags are 40% bigger than HB. They also tend to aim for really decent, selected beans. Whilst Steve has a fuckton of everything.

I'd historically have said that square seemed to tailor their roasts to the beans quite a bit better. And dared to roast quite a bit lighter than HB, because HB always seemed to want to recommend everything for espresso, too. Which fucks any chance of a right light roast.

But yeah. I'm a bit disappointed with square ATM, like I say.

I've only heard of the Algerian place once, I think. But in a really positive light.

I can't fault Has Bean, they'be been excellent.
It's just I'm looking at reducing costs - I'm going through a 250g bag every 4 to 5 days.
It's becoming expensive and I'm looking at alternatives.
I'm buying 2 x 250g bags a time to save on delivery but it's still pricey.

Think I'll check out SM - to experiment like.

(yes Algerian place is excellent. I also admire their great selection of white teas but it's more of a treat, or whenever I'm in the Soho area).

Just received my Aeropress, and looking for some beans to give a strong coffee. I like the chocolate/caramel type of taste. It helps that the supermarket beans have a strength guide, but the Algerian shop and Hasbeans don't give a strength guide, except to say that a coffee is 'strong'.
I prefer a strength 4-5 by supermarket guide standards. Any suggestions?

Just received my Aeropress, and looking for some beans to give a strong coffee. I like the chocolate/caramel type of taste. It helps that the supermarket beans have a strength guide, but the Algerian shop and Hasbeans don't give a strength guide, except to say that a coffee is 'strong'.
Union roasted Revelation. You can buy it for around £4.50. It's delicious.

The M&S Colombian is rated 4 (out of 6) I think.
It tastes stronger than it is.
I went through a phase of experimenting with High Street coffee before Online roasters and believe they're not that accurate.
For example, Percol's Black and Beyond says it's maximum strength but I found that to be medium.

Back
Top Bottom