Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question for people who like coffee

I switched to a metal aeropress filter as I quite like a bit of grit in my coffee.
I miss the easy puck disposal though....

I was weekend-only when I was working.
These days I can't start the day without it.
21g of beans - roughly the equivalent of 3 espresso shots ...
That's my absolute limit though. I would feel dreadful all day if I had any coffee later in the day...

I tried an aeropress at work and found the coffee tasted sort of thin - guesss I'm used to the slight sludge from a cafetiere!

Different ones (but whisper it they all taste the same).

Get an aero press instead of a cafetiere. Proper hip.

I second this (not the hip bit! 😃). I was reluctantly converted a year or so ago (and so now of course am a zealot 😁), it makes fantastic coffee, and need less coffee per cup than a cafetière as well.

They’re not expensive, and although one does have to get little filter papers for them, those aren’t expensive either.

Also another vote for a different one each month :)

E2a: I now see I was a bit late with this. But it’s happened anyway so all good :D

Last edited:
I second this (not the hip bit! 😃). I was reluctantly converted a year or so ago (and so now of course am a zealot 😁), it makes fantastic coffee, and need less coffee per cup than a cafetière as well.

They’re not expensive, and although one does have to get little filter papers for them, those aren’t expensive either.

Also another vote for a different one each month :)
Yes coffee making is so much more precise...

I'm super-boring with my coffee though.
Two particular beans from my local roaster ordered every 28 days - has to be exactly the same every day.
In the past I had to throw beans away I did not like.

I tried an aeropress at work and found the coffee tasted sort of thin - guesss I'm used to the slight sludge from a cafetiere!
You are not doing it right then.

I have found that using an aeropress gives me the most full bodied coffee I could ever dream of, however it also very.much depends on the coffee, so perhaps that is the problem

I also favour a metal filter.

I am a coffee wanker and spend about £50 a month on beans.

My only gripe about using my aero press is that it only makes one cup at a time. ....but there are now XL ones!

I used to have an aeropress (friend borrowed and lost) and also have an espresso machine. I did like the flavour from the aeropress, but it seemed to make much stronger coffee in terms of caffeine content. I like the body / crema more from the espresso machine. But this thread has made me start craving an aeropress again, there's something quite different about coffee made with one.

I used to have an aeropress (friend borrowed and lost) and also have an espresso machine. I did like the flavour from the aeropress, but it seemed to make much stronger coffee in terms of caffeine content. I like the body / crema more from the espresso machine. But this thread has made me start craving an aeropress again, there's something quite different about coffee made with one.

See I'd love an espresso machine, but can't justify the counter space and cost.

If I ever need to cater for more than just me I will have to work on my cafetière technique ... and I might have to compromise on the quality of the grind as the manual grinder would then be the bottleneck and a lot of effort .. for now it's rarely a bind to grind 21g of beans.,...

Last edited:
When I first had my aeropress I used to use crazy amounts of coffee and a short, timed infusion - very wasteful - but probably quite a "sweet" infusion in spite of me using a nasty whizzy grinder...
These days I use 21g, add water and stir and infuse as long as it takes to spread my toast and I half press, remove the plunger add more water and stir and complete the press to make up a full mug - I get pretty well all the flavour out - based on second infusions - usually if I do that it's to help warm up cold coffee left in the mug as breakfast tends to last about an hour ...

My favourite cheap coffee is Aldi's Colombian blend. I can't remember how much it is but it's a lot cheaper than a can of lilly or Lavazza from Waitrose.

I also use an Aero Press and it is great. My favourite coffee maker is my stove top espresso maker but it's such a pain in the arse to clean that I always use the AeroPress now.

I am, however, a one coffee a day person. Any more and I feel like shit.

See I'd love an espresso machine, but can't justify the counter space and cost.
My partner bought me a cheap one from some dodgy guy with a lockup filled with obviously stolen goods some years ago... and then once I had one it became an essential kitchen item so have probably bought two replacements since then. But I've never been able to justify the cost of a decent grinder, so am not really quite getting the best from it.

Buying whole beans and daily grinding is the next level.
I wouldn't want to keep beans longer than 28 days - let alone ready-ground.
I paid £25 for my hand grinder - it's doubled in price over 10 years - along with the aeropress ...

EDIT:- even worse - bloody hell ...

But I reckon even a cheap whizzy grinder would very quickly beat precision ground ...

Last edited:
I started with one but after trying other methods coffee always caramelized...plus a kettle is much quicker than a hotplate and aluminium won't work on induction
you can also get the (more expensive) stainless steel version.
it takes as long as doing covid LFT for the coffee to be done for me, so was perfect during that time as a morning routine when working at hospitals.

Last edited:
I'm living vicariously through this thread BTW, I had to stop drinking coffee due to it being a huge trigger for raging acid reflux... But I am enjoying the discussion :)
I feel your pain. I have changed my diet and cut down on coffee since developing heartburn. I live in fear that I am going to need to cut out coffee altogether. It’s literally my last vice.

You might want to explore Turkish coffee - and you don't need any fancy gear to make it really well. Just ensure you get a very fine grind to start off with.

Some coffee made from "quality"/high end beans can taste a bit thin/lack body - in that case, mixing them 75/25 or 50/50 with similarly roasted Mysore beans can work really well.

Mysore is a pleasant/inoffensive and very mild tasting coffee but it has a great body/mouthfeel and mixes really well with the more exotic stuff. I'm currently starting the day with a cup of 50/50 Wahana Longberry and Mysore - A great treat to start the day!

When that's finished, I'm going to Cuban Serrano/Mysore, which is also a brilliant combination.

Another plus is that Mysore tends to pretty cheap, so it helps spin-out the more expensive beans very nicely.

Back
Top Bottom