Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

West Lancashire by-election

PR1Berske

Alligator in chains by the park gates.
iSFlGn.md.jpg

There is to be a by-election in West Lancashire following the resignation of Rosie Cooper to Chair the Merseyside NHS Foundation.

There unlikely to be an upset, I take it?
It was once marginal. Not so much now, the majority hasn't been tested for years

The seat doesn't have the same boundaries as the council of the same name, what's missing is very healthy Tory countryside. Ormskirk and Skelmersdale would have to have changed a lot to swing Tory this time.

I'm sure once the Lib Dems encourage disaffected Tory voters to swing behind them, they'll be nailed on to pick up the seat.

Ballot paper confirmed, polling day is 9 February

Only 6 candidates, one of the shortest ballots I can remember for years. A sign of the times, particularly economic, as it does cost £500 per candidate.

Jo BARTON (Liberal Democrats)
Peter CRANIE (Green Party)
Ashley DALTON (Labour Party)
Howling Laud HOPE (Official Monster Raving Loony Party)
Jonathan KAY (Reform UK)
Mike PRENDERGAST (The Conservative Party Candidate)

Today was the polling day for this by-election, perhaps the most anonymous that I can remember. Results due around 1-2am.

Hold then but not seen final figures ETA Sky says "Ms Dalton secured a majority of 8,321 over Conservative candidate Mike Prendergast." Increase in share apparently

Last edited:
To move the share of the vote by a nice round 10% either side is good for Labour. With only the usual parties on the ballot paper it gives us a realistic prediction that the 'floating' voter is ditching the Conservatives. No coincidence that the other parties barely moved, we're into that 1997 territory.

Back
Top Bottom