Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

not at all - just because Trump has wealthy supporters, doesn't mean he doesn't have poor supporters.

exactly. do you see what you said? it's a cross-class effort, not a proletarian effort. i hope this will put paid to the very stupid "economic insecurity" argument that leftistists try to put forward.

thomas frank asked exactly the right question, "what's the matter with kansas?" but he didn't quite get to the answer, which is that the people he's talking about know exactly why they think what they think. and it hasn't to do with class.

it talks about that in the article.

When I talk to my American colleagues they often say things like they would love to change to a different industry but the healthcare package is too good.
Hiring and firing is a much more casual affair out there, so this seems like one of the strongest glues keeping people in positions that they don't feel are right for them, especially if they have a kid with a health condition or something like that. We've had a couple of people return to the company after leaving for this reason.

And then there's a blatant careerists who are/were yes men/women and turned the other cheek to Trump's behaviour.
Yes.
Reminds me of a decent Runciman podcast from earlier in the year when a US academic described the 3 tribes that constituted the (post Christie transition) Trump administration.
1. Were the corporate 'pillagers' drawn to the corporate opportunity to undermine regulation and win contracts.
2. The woefully inadequate careerists exploiting Trump's complete disconnect with governance.
3. The rabidly ideological right libertarians excited by the opportunity to destroy the state and, in doing so, also corruptly act in corporate interest.

exactly. do you see what you said? it's a cross-class effort, not a proletarian effort. i hope this will put paid to the very stupid "economic insecurity" argument that leftistists try to put forward.
Why does it put paid to this argument? There has never been anyone who would claim trumpism is a purely proletarian movement - just that proletarians are a significant part of his support, which they are.

It's my understanding that shotgun slugs are less likely to overpenetrate than rifle rounds. Comes with spreading all that kinetic energy over a larger area, no?
Depends on the rounds and the wall, but you probably don't want to be on the other side when a 12 gauge slug gets shot at it.

Last edited:
When I talk to my American colleagues they often say things like they would love to change to a different industry but the healthcare package is too good.
Hiring and firing is a much more casual affair out there, so this seems like one of the strongest glues keeping people in positions that they don't feel are right for them, especially if they have a kid with a health condition or something like that. We've had a couple of people return to the company after leaving for this reason.

Yes, that's arranged that way on purpose. Its akin to the college debt slavery being imposed on younger people. You keep people so off-balance that they have to keep serving the status quo to survive. I know a number of middle-aged people who continue to work just so they can get access to healthcare. I'd probably be doing something else if I had universal healthcare too. I could go to school full-time instead of eeking a few credits here and there.

Yep. That's the bit that gets me. I'd be fucking worried if I were caught doing this kind of thing in the UK. In the US, with its bonkers prison sentences, they could get decades inside. And they genuinely don't seem to realise, posting after the event about their best day ever. :D :facepalm:

Don't worry, they'll still blame liberals and/or antifa, rather than their own actions.

It's going to be... interesting... to see how this plays out in terms of investigation and prosecution.

Why does it put paid to this argument? There has never been anyone who would claim trumpism is a purely proletarian movement - just that proletarians are a significant part of his support, which they are.
A minority part, and a shrinking part, if you're talking about those who have ever voted for him. Trump gained support among the rich and lost it among the poor last year, no doubt in large part because his policies while president did lots to help the rich and nothing to help the poor.

There is a need to keep some perspective on this. Far more working class Americans vote Democrat than Republican. That was true before Trump and it was true during Trump. And on top of that, a big number don't vote at all.

A minority part, and a shrinking part, if you're talking about those who have ever voted for him. Trump gained support among the rich and lost it among the poor last year, no doubt in large part because his policies while president did lots to help the rich and nothing to help the poor.

There is a need to keep some perspective on this. Far more working class Americans vote Democrat than Republican. That was true before Trump and it was true during Trump. And on top of that, a big number don't vote at all.
Substantial doesn't = majority. Can you stop doing this please? I have perspective ta.

Substantial doesn't = majority. Can you stop doing this please? I have perspective ta.
You said 'significant'. Perhaps you could quantify that. Of course people from all voting brackets will vote all kinds of ways in some numbers, but the levels of support that Trump got to swing the rust belt in 2016 with his false promises to coal miners, etc, came from a small swing minority, which he then largely lost in 2020. Then there are the reasons people vote Republican that are peculiarly American and have little to do with income - eg religion, race, abortion rights. And there is the sharp divide between cities and rural areas, so you also need to define 'proletarian' here tbh, because traditionally this is a term used for urban industrial workers. Among that group, support for Trump is not big at all.

You said 'significant'. Perhaps you could quantify that. Of course people from all voting brackets will vote all kinds of ways in some numbers, but the levels of support that Trump got to swing the rust belt in 2016 with his false promises to coal miners, etc, came from a small swing minority, which he then largely lost in 2020. Then there are the reasons people vote Republican that are peculiarly American and have little to do with income - eg religion, race, abortion rights. And there is the sharp divide between cities and rural areas, so you also need to define 'proletarian' here tbh, because traditionally this is a term used for urban industrial workers. Among that group, support for Trump is not big at all.
Surely a demographic who's votes were enough to swing a number of key states to Trump in 2016, winning him the presidency, is by definition significant. You've just quantified it.

who is Kimberley Trump? She isn't a family member, just someone with the same name, I think.
Oh yeah. Guilfoyle is the Kimberley I was thinking of, the one with the terrifying face, one of the sons girlfriends. Whoever that account is is even madder than her then, impersonating a non existent niece of trump’s or whatever.

None of these putch partcipants so far have been full on proud boys/oathkeeper/3%er/whatever types. Seems to have been all Q nutters. Were the proper thugs too clever to get themselves dragged in to a doomed mission or are they just bullies who like breaking skulls on the street where they have the numbers but didn't fancy the chance of a real fight?

Back
Top Bottom