Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

It's when his incitements turned into something that couldn't be ignored that did it, though.

That's why i think what happened with protest/insurrection possibly caught him out. He was likely thinking "I know I'm bullshitting, I know they're bullshitters, and they know they're being bullshitted, let's keep this ball rolling", and then something actually happens, in a manner that fucked up his view of reality as being ultimately negotiable.

Someone like him would never have the balls to try something like that on purpose.
Well, yeah, though there's a sense it was also a continuation of their removal of individual lies he came out with after the election. I don't think they'd have banned him if he'd won in November.

Yes on him getting caught out. My guess is imagined something very loud and intimidating outside congress, something the people inside could hear and would worry about as they scuttled home. Even as it happened, he hadn't really processed the shit he was in, so it took a night's sleep before he shat himself on camera. Careful what you wish for Donnie! The death of the cop will be a real worry for him (though not as much as for the cop's family).

I wonder whether what will happen with those members of law enforcement who helped facilitate things.
That is the biggie. Biden has highlighted the difference in the cops approach between BLM and Trumpists.

Our cops are racists, US cops are racists, fuck it, all cops are bastards, how the fuck Biden deals with that, after this week, fuck knows. Our coppers wouldn't have folded like that though - look back to the cuntryside alliance demo.

They've just done America for $3trillion under trump, Obama did very similar. It's a war, surely?

Ps. Britain is the same.

Thought talk of impeachment was mainly theatre but apparently if impeached he would lose the pension and a generous annual travel allowance and other perks and be barred from seeking federal office again, so would be worth seeing it happen.

other 'perks' including secret service protection.....so he's either bankrupt or dead so it won't happen.

Seriously they are going to have to start ringing round for somewhere for him to live (that he's prepared to go to) Berrmuda?

More and more of this sort of thing being published.
Basically in amongst the selfie takers who just milled about aimlessly in silly outfits there were people who had a plan, mad as it might have been. If Pelosi and probably Pence (and no doubt AOC and co) had been sat there when these men got in things would have gone differently for sure.

This is quite fascinating. A long thread from twitter which identifies one of the serious people who entered the building with heavy duty zip ties etc.

There were selfie takers with no plan and then another smaller group with a plan that failed.

This man was ex military, an officer.

More on this man here. Radicalised online shocker. Says he found the massive zip ties on the floor and was going to hand them to a police officer but forgot.

The 'i approve of what happened on wednesday' numbers have gone down a lot, according to this. Smashing a policemans head in with a fire extinguisher only approved of by 1 in 5 Republicans . :hmm: View attachment 247860
Again I think this is the need to be on the winning side. I doubt this is massively moved by a logical reevaluation, including 'well I don't support killing cops', and much more that the rioters have been publicly abandoned, so what seemed like a good bandwagon to get on a few days ago now seems like a toxic outlier and something to distance from. Good and bad - the views are not strongly held but they'll absolutely still support this stuff again under the right conditions.

It's a close run thing, but I think I've got marginally more contempt for twitter in booting him off than I would have done if they'd kept him. They didn't give a flying fuck about the threat he caused till after the election and till they discovered he might be a commercial liability.
There is truth in this but the explanation, justified to some extent, is that in office he was basically exempt from the normal rules because of the massive public/civic interest in what the President is up to. That's not something that continues when out of power or about to be, so compromising their own standards isn't worth it any more.

There is truth in this but the explanation, justified to some extent, is that in office he was basically exempt from the normal rules because of the massive public/civic interest in what the President is up to.
While I have some time for that argument, I feel like it doesn't stretch very far. The public did fine when their leader didn't have a Twitter account, it's not like the US has a dearth of other methods that the President can use to communicate with the public.

Think it's pretty telling that the bot account that literally just mirrored Trump's account, tweeting exactly the same tweets he did, got banned multiple times.

Yes, there is a different standard because it's the President, but that works both ways.

Worth a read this, on the significant increase in recent years of political violence in rich countries and tentative suggestions as to why this might be happening. Also points out that the temptation to see stuff like wednesday as a freak outlier event is based on ideas that don't hold water anymore and should be ditched.

Yeah, same here. A close friend of many years, someone I love and know to be a kind, thoughtful and intelligent person. It feels like she's been taken hostage.

If only the real world were like those sci-fi movies where someone smashes the transmitter and in an instant the zombies turn back into normal people again. I suspect in the real world it’s a long journey back, a good chunk of life taken.

Back
Top Bottom