Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

Well, I know people were objecting to people comparing the Capitol riot to BLM, but they've both had companies meaninglessly jumping on the bandwagon.

As an aside, if anyone wants to understand where the sickness in the American body politic comes from then they could do worse than taking a look at any branch of an Olive Garden's menu.

I doubt he's been allowed near the "button" for some time now and likely is not possessed of the mental agility to make use of it anyway.

It was very early on in Trump's run, I think in the first 3 months, where the military basically said (using carefully couched terms) that if they got an order via that suitcase, whether they followed it would be based on their own strategic assessment.

It was very early on in Trump's run, I think in the first 3 months, where the military basically said (using carefully couched terms) that if they got an order via that suitcase, whether they followed it would be based on their own strategic assessment.
That's been done before (Nixon) but irrespective, identifying as the National Command Authority for weapons release requires a degree of mental gymnastics that one could reasonably suspect might not be within the gift of a particular individual.

I mean, sort of, in theory, of the nasty right wing racist homophobic sexist bastards all end up confined to one site on the internet, that might be good? We (and the FBI!) could all keep track of them there, and we wouldn't have our social media polluted?

or, actually, it might be better of they couldn't spread their evil shit anywhere.

i'm not sure it is a theatre. for us on the outside it was mostly harmless after all, a bunch of rather confused people walking around, taking selfies, smearing some shit on the walls, but for pelosi, pence and the rest it must have been terrifying, they were attacked in their place of power, told to lie down, pur on gasmasks and bundled away to safe rooms... they must have been fearing for their lives.
and rudy, brooks, even the fucking president himself are live on camera egging the crowd on.

these are the most powerful politicians in the world, and trump and his hangarounds broke every rule in the book and 'unleashed the kraken' upon them. a policeman got killed, a noose was erected, nazis running around their workplace with zip-wire cuffs looking for them.

i think brooks, cruz, rudy and even trump have every reason to be really afraid and not just for their political careers.

we'll see.
I think you are right that there was a palpable sense of shock and outrage from members of congress, some of which was from republicans, even former trump loyalists. Perhaps a sense that trump could stir things up, get his supporters in the face of every imagined 'liberal', but not one that could survive them being on the end of it. Same time, I do think there's too much of a downside for Biden in going after trump after the 20th in terms of any kind of legal action. Before then, the Dems may just about find a way to impeach, with a fair wind, though there's no chance of getting senate support. That's the sense in which I'd see it as theatre.

It's a close run thing, but I think I've got marginally more contempt for twitter in booting him off than I would have done if they'd kept him. They didn't give a flying fuck about the threat he caused till after the election and till they discovered he might be a commercial liability.

It's a close run thing, but I think I've got marginally more contempt for twitter in booting him off than I would have done if they'd kept him. They didn't give a flying fuck about the threat he caused till after the election.

It's when his incitements turned into something that couldn't be ignored that did it, though.

That's why i think what happened with protest/insurrection possibly caught him out. He was likely thinking "I know I'm bullshitting, I know they're bullshitters, and they know they're being bullshitted, let's keep this ball rolling", and then something actually happens, in a manner that fucked up his view of reality as being ultimately negotiable.

Someone like him would never have the balls to try something like that on purpose.

It's when his incitements turned into something that couldn't be ignored that did it, though.

That's why i think what happened with protest/insurrection possibly caught him out. He was likely thinking "I know I'm bullshitting, I know they're bullshitters, and they know they're being bullshitted, let's keep this ball rolling", and then something actually happens, in a manner that fucked up his view of reality as being ultimately negotiable.

Someone like him would never have the balls to try something like that on purpose.
I'm not so sure. He's a fantascist. I'm not sure he didn't think that by stirring people up he might have sparked a coup, stayed in power and started a succession for his family.

I may be wrong, and fuck me I'm glad he was wrong, but he did genuinely think, for a while that he would get away with it.

I'm not so sure. He's a fantascist. I'm not sure he didn't think that by stirring people up he might have sparked a coup, stayed in power and started a succession for his family.

I may be wrong, and fuck me I'm glad he was wrong, but he did genuinely think, for a while that he would get away with it.

I dunno, I'm inclined to think he was hoping for an impressive crowd and to keep the show rolling. But maybe he is that far gone.

Wondering what sort of penalty there might be for "inciting insurrection"?
Insurrection that caused deaths.
Does anyone think it might carry a jail term?

I can't believe (actually, that's rubbish, nothing surprises me about trump/america) that he hansn't been arrested already. How would the UK cops/media have reacted to (Our Lord) Jeremy Corbyn calling for an assault on Parliament?

I wonder whether what will happen with those members of law enforcement who helped facilitate things.

Back
Top Bottom