Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year - best Live album Ever

belboid

Exasperated, not angry.
Here we go then, you lucky folks. I promised you special polls and here is the very first one!

I think the title pretty much sums it up, but in case you need further explanation...... a Live album is not simply one that was recorded 'live' in the studio but is one performed in front of an audience, usually comprising of a selection of the bands' tracks, tho not necessarily. Occasional studio overdubs may be included, but not albums which just have one live section (not that I can think of any that do that, off hand, but I bet someone will). It does not need to be taken from a single show, or even a single tour (tho I bet it will be) it just needs to be an album released that is, umm, Live. Compilations of artists performing at, say, a festival do not count, although an album with lots of guest stars centred around the main band would be. Thus - Woodstock, no, but The Band's Last Waltz, yes.

Other than that, same as usual. Votes to me by (checks calendar) the 27th, listed from 1 - 20 although, please, WITHOUT THE NUMBERS INCLUDED (its a right pain in the arse taking them out) and preferably in the order - Artist - Title.

This might not work, there may well be just too many possibilities to choose from, but lets see.

NzgyLmpwZWc.jpeg
Does it have to be 'bands'?

My experience of live albums has always been soured by feeling how shite the sound reproduction was tbh especially numerous bootlegs . However I’ll have to have a trawl as there’s one or two that spring to mind and as normal on these threads you discover stuff you’ve never heard or simply forgotten .

Psychic TV released countless live albums, mostly of only occasional interest - other than NY Scum which is brilliant.

Recorded in New York's Danceteria in November 1983, it's two sides of intense relentless dread, screeching noise and barely recognisable versions of tracks from their recently released magnum opus Dreams Less Sweet. Featuring the best lineup of the band - Genesis & Paula P, Sleazy and Geoff Rushton (who'd later become Jhonn Balance and form Coil with Sleazy), Alex Fergusson (of Alternative TV), and John Gosling (who later went on to big beat fame on Wall of Sound as The Mekon).

Back
Top Bottom