Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 2022 - The Results

Like @Spandex I'd of gone with Midnight Scorchers over Midnight Rockers from Horace Andy. It's been my most played this year. I love them both but the mashup on the second album by Sherwood is phenomenal.
Yeah, I only listened to Midnight Rocker out of curiosity when you posted it on the album recommendations thread and I loved it and kept going back to it.

But when I played Midnight Scorcher, to see how it compared, it hit my Sherwood-On-U bullseye. On first listen I knew it'll be one of those albums that I'll be going back to years from now, up there with the Dub Syndicate albums that've had regular plays at mine for decades. There's not a thing out of place on the whole album, not a single sound or note or vocal that isn't exactly where it should be. It was an easy choice for my number one.

Yeah, I only listened to Midnight Rocker out of curiosity when you posted it on the album recommendations thread and I loved it and kept going back to it.

But when I played Midnight Scorcher, to see how it compared, it hit my Sherwood-On-U bullseye. On first listen I knew it'll be one of those albums that I'll be going back to years from now, up there with the Dub Syndicate albums that've had regular plays at mine for decades. There's not a thing out of place on the whole album, not a single sound or note or vocal that isn't exactly where it should be. It was an easy choice for my number one.
Have you listened to Heavy Rain, the dub he did of LSP's Rainford? That's always on the turntable as well.

Have you listened to Heavy Rain, the dub he did of LSP's Rainford? That's always on the turntable as well.
That's been on my must check out list for about three years. Thanks for the reminder - I must check it out. I'd put it on now, but my flat is currently full of kids who really won't appreciate it :D

11. The Chats - Get Fucked

And that's quite enough from me.
Could've got the Chats somewhere in the top 100 if you'd submitted that one!
Thank you for this thread. I've listened to some of the top ones and I really love Beach House
If this is your first time hearing them, they've got a fantastic back catalogue to check out, there's a lot of great stuff to explore there.

Mine:

µ-Ziq - Magic Pony Ride
The Beths - Expert in a Dying Field
Beabadoobee - Beatopia
Rachika Nayar - Heaven Come Crashing
Hatchie - Giving the World Way
Melt Yourself Down - Pray For Me I Don't Fit In
Blanck Mass - Gazza
Black Dresses - Forget Your Own Face
Cold Gawd - Get Me The Fuck Out Of Here
Nils Frahm - Music for Animals
Astronoid - Radiant Bloom

My list in order of 1 at the top 15 at the bottom.

Unfold - Imanu

The line is a curve - Kae Tempest

Second Nature - Ninjarichi

Screamer - babii

PREY//IV - Alice Glass

In the wild - The Interrupters

Hugo - Loyle Carner

Year of I - Tom Finster

New ruin - The Flatliners

Tekkno - Electric callboy

Of kingdom and crown - Machine head

The end so far - Slipknot

Creatures - Drumcorps

Happy Hour - Hollie Cook

Days of the lost - The halo effect

Yeah I'm in the Scorcher over Rocker camp as well. Overall it was a bit of a split vote for Horace Andy unfortunately.

Thinking about it, while I'm in a year end retrospective mood, been a good year for seeing bands who did my albums of the year - saw Beach House, Special Interest, and Soul Glo from the crossover between my taste and the U75 collective approved list, and then Porridge Radio, Dalek and Ho99o9 as well. Can anyone top that?

Hmm, saw Beach House, black midi, Delines, Katy J, Black Country, New Road & Porridge Radio. I think Sharon van Etten was last year.

I should be able to add YardAct & Ezra Furman as well, still shocked neither made it onto the chart.

It got seven votes, with the highest placing at 2. Two placings at 2 actually. It was really solid win.
Only just really noticed this.

It is the first time ever the overall Number 1 did not top anyone’s individual list. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs nearly did so a decade or so ago, but a last day splurge for someone (almost definitely Nick Cave) stopped it.

Last edited:
Would have seen Soccer Mommy but covid fucked me over :( Green Day in the summer to scratch a teenage itch :) Mary Wallopers and Sam Shackleton just a couple of weeks ago :thumbs:

Hmm, saw Beach House, black midi, Delines, Katy J, Black Country, New Road & Porridge Radio. I think Sharon van Etten was last year.

I should be able to add YardAct & Ezra Furman as well, still shocked neither made it onto the chart.
Black Country, New Road's comma is really messing with my ability to count names there, but I think you neglected to include the humble oxford comma.

Black Country, New Road's comma is really messing with my ability to count names there, but I think you neglected to include the humble oxford comma.
Oxford commas have even less of a place in this list than a bloody compilation album :mad:

Listened to Horace Andy (Rocker) while cleaning the kitchen this morning. Great record. Intend to check out Scorcher now I've heard the source material

Just listening to The Delines album. Nice soundtrack to Willy Valutin's lyrics. Anyone else a fan of his novels?

Pleased to see black midi in the top ten but surprised to see Gilla Band and Jockstrap way down.

Just listening to The Delines album. Nice soundtrack to Willy Valutin's lyrics. Anyone else a fan of his novels?

Pleased to see black midi in the top ten but surprised to see Gilla Band and Jockstrap way down.
Yep, got into his music via his novels .

Thanks for doing the work, Knotted.

These were mine:

1 Half Man Half Biscuit - The Voltarol Years
2 Brighde Chaimbeul, Ross Ainslie and Stephen Byrne - LAS
3 black midi - Hellfire
Jessica Moss - Galaxy Heart
White Hills - The Revenge of Heads on Fire
Alison Cotton - The Portrait you Painted of Me
Chihuahua - Crythor Du
Loop - Sonancy
Gvantsa Narim - Gvantsa
God's Country - Chat Pile
Park Jiha - The Gleam
Nadja - Nalepa

I think that works out as 3 in the top 20, just 7 in the top 100.

Back
Top Bottom