Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1994

House Of Pain - ‘Same As It Ever Was’

The first LP was a bit gimmicky, but this time round everything fell into place, and it resonates more

Manic Street Preachers - ‘The Holy Bible’

I was not immediately won over, but a pair of teenage MSP fanzine writers I met in a queue outside the (TW) Forum helped draw me in

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works II

Is it a bit bloated? Has it aged better than SAW 1? I have am mp3 version of Stone In Focus that's been slowed down until it's a hour and half long, played on loop through headphones it's my sleep music or anytime I want any noise blocking out. Must of listened to it over a 1000 times in the last few years. I'd have it piped into my coffin on eternal loop if I could.

Last edited:
Shampoo - ‘We Are Shampoo’

Should have been bigger (and not just in Japan) - poptastic

I've not listened to the album for ages, but I remember there was one track, Girl Power, every bit as catchy as Trouble, and allegedly was the first use of the phrase in pop, two years before the Spice Girls arrived.

Papa Brittle - ‘Obey Consume Marry & Reproduce’

Another great night at the (TW) Forum introduced me to the band - I didn't realise their 1992 mini-album was expanded and rereleased in 1994 so I'm definitely having that

I've not listened to the album for ages, but I remember there was one track, Girl Power, every bit as catchy as Trouble, and allegedly was the first use of the phrase in pop, two years before the Spice Girls arrived.
Not quite - that was on their follow-up album (which was first released in Japan in 1995, so still preceding the breakthrough of Spice AKA The Spice Girls)

So far, I've learned that a) there was a lot of great music coming out in 1994 and b) my music player is really bad at labelling release years accurately. But Calculated was definitely 1994 and it's great, fucking vicious:

Bikini Kill also put out The CD Version of the First Two Records that year but some purists might argue that it's technically "very clearly a compilation of previously released material, as stated in the title" so you can't vote for it. It is great though.

Not big, not clever, but I can't resist the charms of Madball's Set It Off:

Maybe it is big actually.

Much as I like it, it's not even the best 1994 hip hop album from New York whose title starts with "Ill...":

I should really get around to giving Illmatic another go, I remember listening to it years and years back and thinking "has a few OK tunes but it's basically just fucking jazz". Which may not be a completely fair or accurate summary.

Back
Top Bottom