Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, Feb 2022 - tangentially related crap

Europe Must Urgently Prepare to Deter Russia Without Large-Scale US Support
RUSI. 7 December 2023
NATO’s European members must ramp up investment in ammunition production and focus military training and force structures against key mission sets to credibly deter Russia from exploiting a clash between the US and China in the late 2020s as an opportunity to break Article 5 in Europe.
Throughout 2023, the UK and most NATO allies have been understandably preoccupied with the need to support Ukraine, tackling a range of economic and social challenges, and most recently the sudden explosion of violence in the Middle East. However, the number of acute short-term challenges has distracted political and public attention away from the rising danger of an even more serious conflict in the coming years.
Put simply, Russia has now transitioned its economy onto a war footing; US production is not sufficient to replenish its own stockpiles and fulfil Ukraine’s needs; and European countries are trying to manage an increasingly dangerous situation from an unsustainable peacetime defence and industrial posture. This would not be such a serious risk were it not for the fact that the US military is increasingly facing a threat that it cannot overmatch from Chinese forces in the Indo-Pacific.

A report by the German Council on Foreign Relations states similar: Preventing the Next War; Mark Galeotti gives a critique in his podcast In Moscow's Shadows: Putin's Coming Back!

Regardless of the potential for US overstretch, I think a significant question is whether future US governments can be relied upon to honour NATO commitments in Europe.
Tbh I think your German article is having a laugh suggesting that the Russian army can be so swiftly reconstituted and trained when we know that many of the people who would do the leading and training of the force have been killed or simply aren't there - see eg NCOs: America Has Them, China Wants Them, Russia is Struggling Without Them. We know the strategic leadership of the present and future Russian army has received disproportionate losses - all those generals and colonels. For me, the greatest threat is rather Chinese ambitions which have the potential to make today's contretemps in the Ukraine look like a sideshow.

So you consider them a threat to Russia.

No I don't. I think China wants to be allowed to grow peacefully, and is willing to share prosperity. The danger I see is that as usual the USA will apply the zero-sum theory of possessive individualism to foreign relations, conclude that there can only be one top dog, and take measures to prevent China's growth by force, thus bringing human history to its conclusion.

No I don't. I think China wants to be allowed to grow peacefully, and is willing to share prosperity. The danger I see is that as usual the USA will apply the zero-sum theory of possessive individualism to foreign relations, conclude that there can only be one top dog, and take measures to prevent China's growth by force, thus bringing human history to its conclusion.
Just a minute ago you said China was a threat to its immediate neighbours. Now you deny it.

By peacefully I presume you mean expanding its territory one piece at a time

Just a minute ago you said China was a threat to its immediate neighbours. Now you deny it.

Even in cases of border disputes and territorial claims, China always prefers to resolve its disputes peacefully. In marked contrast to the USA, which resorts to military force at the drop of a hat.

Even in cases of border disputes and territorial claims, China always prefers to resolve its disputes peacefully. In marked contrast to the USA, which resorts to military force at the drop of a hat.
no it doesnt Its built bases on the wrong side of the river with India, ignored the UN on the Philippines, gone mental at Hong Kong for holding umbrellas, invaded Vietnam at one point and Tibet and is currently in the process of upgrading its armed services, upgrading using tech ripped off from other countries

no it doesnt Its built bases on the wrong side of the river with India, ignored the UN on the Philippines, gone mental at Hong Kong for holding umbrellas, invaded Vietnam at one point and Tibet and is currently in the process of upgrading its armed services, upgrading using tech ripped off from other countries

China has 5 military bases in foreign countries. The UK has 32. The USA has 85.

There's no comparison between the old imperialism and the new:

China has 5 military bases in foreign countries. The UK has 32. The USA has 85.

There's no comparison between the old imperialism and the new:

fine so don't make one. China, like Russia with its Wagner group has adopted the Blackwater model of new imperialism. Loads of Chinese 'security' in Africa these days that doesn't show up on wikipedia. I blame Col Oli North, at least old school had some transparency and accountability

Lol

"We refuse to be summoned anywhere by Russia. Czechia will not serve the lie-poisoned propaganda of the aggressor. When Russia wants to discuss the withdrawal of its occupying troops at the Security Council, we will be happy to come." - Jan Lipavský, Czech Minister of Foreign Affairs

The Czech Minister's reaction to the Deputy Ambassador of Moscow to the UN Dmitry Polyansky, who demanded the presence of the Czech Republic at the meeting of the UN Security Council today at 10:00 p.m., which Moscow called because of the alleged Ukrainian shelling of Belgorod.

RUS1.png

RUS2.png

Last edited:
Summoning Czech because of the alleged use of a Viking missile launcher in the attack. A launcher which has a range of 20km. Belgorod is 35km from the Ukrainian border.

Back
Top Bottom