Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukip - why are they gaining support?

Don't think so, maybe historically I know the Referendum party said that certainly, but why come up with a manifesto on other areas if that were the case. EU membership isn't even their main draw any more, it's immigration which will still be needed but contested even if we were able to fully control our borders.

I think Farage wins whatever happens, no matter how unlikely it is that he'll get into government or even Parliament. Either he does so and can enact whatever nonsense his corporate apologist cabinet wants, or he continues his 'job' in the EU parlaiment where he and his Ukips MEP's continue their shambolic voting record and expenses claim. The guy is everything he claims to oppose.

Watch out that some of the loyal Tory press aren't playing an 'expectations management' game - talking up UKIP ahead of the Euros so that when they then fall short of these inflated expectations they can say how much of a chump Nigel is, and how good old Dave didn't do so badly after all (and where was the Labour breakthrough? Shame on Red Ed).

With the exception of the Mirror, Guardian and Independent.

I certainly saw a pro piece in The Indie, falling for the "working class" nonsense IIRC.

And The Graun did a 4 page spread about what a force the ukips are on the East Coast. Few escape the madness, I can't comment on The Mirror.

Watch out that some of the loyal Tory press aren't playing an 'expectations management' game - talking up UKIP ahead of the Euros so that when they then fall short of these inflated expectations they can say how much of a chump Nigel is, and how good old Dave didn't do so badly after all (and where was the Labour breakthrough? Shame on Red Ed).

It's possible, but they are likely to do well so I dunno how effective it would be. It's the Generals where that scenario would play out better.

We've had months and months of being told UKIP would win the euro elections. It'll either become a self-fulfilling prophecy (where people believe they can win it so throw a vote their way) or be painted as a bitter failure if they don't.

I'm never sure if it's a conspiracy one way or the other (moving agenda to right or damaging Tory election chances) or if it's just the media thinking Farage makes good telly.

Whatever it is, the constant media attention gives them credibility, which they've done little to deserve.

We've had months and months of being told UKIP would win the euro elections. It'll either become a self-fulfilling prophecy (where people believe they can win it so throw a vote their way) or be painted as a bitter failure if they don't.

I'm never sure if it's a conspiracy one way or the other (moving agenda to right or damaging Tory election chances) or if it's just the media thinking Farage makes good telly.

Whatever it is, the constant media attention gives them credibility, which they've done little to deserve.
Perhaps it will backfire. The constant message about how useless the Eu is might compel an apathetic electorate to remain so and just not vote.

Trouble is these days, a lot of the nasty shit you hear does have an air of inevitability about it.... Regardless of which mouthpiece it issues forth from.

Nasty shit is all we seem to hear. If the only person that's available or willing to defend the EU, warts and all, is Clegg then what hope is there?

And what reforms does Farage think he's going to enact in the EU? Doubtless he has friends in other countries who are like him in their respective constituencies because it's a gravy train; a gentleman's club for the financiers who can enact a little drama now and then to parade their prejudices. Farage's only real skill is that he doesn't take it too far, unlike some of the other UKips (Godfrey Bloom). But even then it doesn't take much for their true colours to show: Paul Nuttall's disdain for mental health or his laughable action of waving around his credit card on Question Time saying "you lot maxed out this, the national visa card"

No one laughed.

Have we, where? Most polling has shown Labour in first place with UKIP and the Tories fighting for second, there have been a couple of pieces in the last month about UKIP being just ahead of Labour in the ComRes poll, but that's hardly "months and months".

Last edited:
It's what I've been hearing, though I've not seen polling data - probably just from reading the 'liberal' press which seems to me to have been saying this for ages. UKIP supporters will be motivated to make a stand, especially if they think they'll do well and stick one to the EU and 'mainstream' parties (they're also older and statistically more likely to vote). Other voters will have less inclination to take part in the process, a labour victory will hardly damage the coalition (poor local election results might do though). It'll probably be painted as 'humiliating' for Milliband if Labour don't make a clear 'breakthrough' by the right-wing papers, they won't want any wind in his sails. UKIP will be the story. Tories will lose support to UKIP but dismiss it as a protest vote, and counterattack labour's performance (held back by voter apathy) instead.

Nasty shit is all we seem to hear. If the only person that's available or willing to defend the EU, warts and all, is Clegg then what hope is there?

And what reforms does Farage think he's going to enact in the EU? Doubtless he has friends in other countries who are like him in their respective constituencies because it's a gravy train; a gentleman's club for the financiers who can enact a little drama now and then to parade their prejudices. Farage's only real skill is that he doesn't take it too far, unlike some of the other UKips (Godfrey Bloom). But even then it doesn't take much for their true colours to show: Paul Nuttall's disdain for mental health or his laughable action of waving around his credit card on Question Time saying "you lot maxed out this, the national visa card"

No one laughed.
What hope is there of a defence of the EU? What about those of who don't want to defend the eu?

It's not a gentlemans club, it's a rapacious neo-liberal organisation with long-term plans to do serious irreversible damage to the conditions of the working class in work and out and in the eu and out. It's not a golf club or private members club. It's much much worse.

He was neither gushing or scathing. But a 4 page spread foccusing on a general postive is certainly wind in the sails. It's all part of the circle of media hype.
How do you want papers to report on the rise in popular support for UKIP? Do you want hope not hate style nonsense? Or do you want the sober sort of social analysis that the goodwin and ford piece that you're referring to was based on? Do you want a false map or an accurate one? Do you want propaganda or critical interrogation?

I certainly saw a pro piece in The Indie, falling for the "working class" nonsense IIRC.

And The Graun did a 4 page spread about what a force the ukips are on the East Coast. Few escape the madness, I can't comment on The Mirror.
What "working class" nonsense? UKIP are making inroads into the w/c vote and into wider-national consciousness. This is undeniable today.

Check out the demographics on the east coast, and you'll see why the Graun might fall for that.

What "working class" nonsense? UKIP are making inroads into the w/c vote and into wider-national consciousness. This is undeniable today.

They're pushing quite hard in Norfolk and Lincolnshire, apparently, helped by the fact of an older core population who've generally elected right-wing MPs, and who are discontented with the Cameroons.

Sorry, I don't mean that increasing establishment sponsored among the working class is nonsense. I mean the idea that their politics are good for the working class are nonsense.

Check out the demographics on the east coast, and you'll see why the Graun might fall for that.

My point was that there was clearly a decision on the lines of "We need more stuff about UKIP, lets find some specifics and do a detailed large feature on how well they're doing". The overall effect will have added to the circus. It was in The Graun, a paper cited as not really part of that circus. It is.

My point was that there was clearly a decision on the lines of "We need more stuff about UKIP, lets find some specifics and do a detailed large feature on how well they're doing". The overall effect will have added to the circus. It was in The Graun, a paper cited as not really part of that circus. It is.
As explained previously, the authors of that piece are coming from the soft-left and they had a book on UKIP published last week. The piece was sober balanced reflection rather than any big-top piece.

And you know what, it's perfectly ok to "find some specifics and do a detailed large feature on how well they're doing" - in fact, that's a good basis for serious journalism and debate.

New TNS-BMRN Euro elections poll:

Bkx4ajbCAAAtBk2.png

Back
Top Bottom