Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK election poll: Islington North

I voted Corbyn GAIN just cos I'd like to see that happen but I have no idea how likely it actually is...

Voting Corbyn gain because I think mischievous Tories will vote alongside Corbynites and the local Labour GOTV operation will be lacklustre. But I wouldn’t be amazed by a Labour hold.

Voting Corbyn gain because I think mischievous Tories will vote alongside Corbynites and the local Labour GOTV operation will be lacklustre. But I wouldn’t be amazed by a Labour hold.

The Tory vote share in 2019 was barely 10%, so I don't think "mischievous Tories" are a demographic which will make much difference to the result

The Tory vote share in 2019 was barely 10%, so I don't think "mischievous Tories" are a demographic which will make much difference to the result
And following national trends, a chunk of those will vote Labour this time.

Corbyn needs to take around 55% or more of the labour vote to win. On the Corbyn thread are lists of comparable historical situations. I'll be amazed if Corbyn takes less than 40% of the labour vote. He could take two thirds. That's my predicted range.

Labour win. Labour have turned the Labour Party into a winning team , they are 20 points ahead, backed by big business, mainstream media, political pundits and celebrities and have a party machine. Unthinkable that they can't beat an old bloke with an allotment accused of being a Cold War spy and IRA sympathiser who has never visited the Falklands.

I suspect tactical voting will swing it for Corbyn. Added to his undoubted personal following in the constituency.

He is supposed to be a decent Constituency MP. Labour shouldn't have kicked him out imo, and I hope he does win the seat - doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme .

Agree.

If he wins, Islington North will continue to have an outstanding constituency MP. And he will carry on being invisible in the House of Commons, just as he has for most of the past 40 years.

Agree.

If he wins, Islington North will continue to have an outstanding constituency MP. And he will carry on being invisible in the House of Commons, just as he has for most of the past 40 years.
I've never really followed Corbyns activity in the House of Commons so any data you have say on number of written questions, early day motions, speeches, voting and attendance over the past 40 years that led you to your conclusion that he has been invisible would be most welcome.

Although I sat on the fence in the poll, I suspect it will be a Corbyn GAIN as he's been a good MP for his constituents and that will probably pull in more votes than the Labour Party will get.
JC is obv too left-wing for Starmer, as well as any of the other shenanigans.

Must have a check to see who else is standing ...

I've never really followed Corbyns activity in the House of Commons so any data you have say on number of written questions, early day motions, speeches, voting and attendance over the past 40 years that led you to your conclusion that he has been invisible would be most welcome.

I refer you to Neil Kinnocks comments here.
this guy, by the time he became leader of the party, had been 33 years, a third of a century, In Parliament. There is no Jeremy Corbyn Private Members bill. There is no memorable question or speech in a debate. There is no evidence of presence on a Select Committee or a Standing Committee. All Jeremy did for 33 years - doubtlessly serve his constituency, fine, great - [was to] go around groups of people who already agreed with him."

So that's the basis for your claim, a quote from Neil 'Scab' Kinnock?

He makes a number of claims that are factual, not opinions, and are easily fact-checked.

There has never been a Corbyn Private Members bill.
There is no evidence of his having participated in a Commons Select Committee.
There is no evidence of his having participated in a Commons Standing Committee.

These at at the core of Parliament's work to produce good legislation. If you really want to discredit Kinnock, drop the name-calling and prove one or more of those claims wrong.

He makes a number of claims that are factual, not opinions, and are easily fact-checked.

There has never been a Corbyn Private Members bill.
There is no evidence of his having participated in a Commons Select Committee.
There is no evidence of his having participated in a Commons Standing Committee.

These at at the core of Parliament's work to produce good legislation. If you really want to discredit Kinnock, drop the name-calling and prove one or more of those claims wrong.
Well that's not true because that CPS footage from the Channel 4 interview with Starmer shows him participating in what seems to be either a select or standing committee.

Back
Top Bottom