Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TikTok tracked users who watched gay content and put them on List

I don't Tik-Tok,1 but this is one of the multitude of reasons I use Stalkbook much less and am winding it down there. I don't follow much LGBT stuff but I've friends that do. And by association I get a lot of advertising on my feed that wouldn't turn a blind idea in a gay man's lifestyle magazine but that I DON'T want to be seeing on public transport.

Apparentky TikTok can work out exact what it takes to keep you hooked by serving up an endless stream of videos that will keep you hooked. I spent an hour and a half on the fucker willing it to hook me and no such thing happened. I reckon it's just that most people like the same mindless shit.

The LGBT thing is concerning. China is still incredibly behind, and probably only getting worse, on gay rights.

I don't Tik-Tok,1 but this is one of the multitude of reasons I use Stalkbook much less and am winding it down there. I don't follow much LGBT stuff but I've friends that do. And by association I get a lot of advertising on my feed that wouldn't turn a blind idea in a gay man's lifestyle magazine but that I DON'T want to be seeing on public transport.
It's been a while since last in the UK, what is the particular objectionable stuff on public transport?

It's been a while since last in the UK, what is the particular objectionable stuff on public transport?

I really don't want to have adverts on my phone with homoerotic advertising of semi clothed men advertising underwear, fetish gear or cruisy holidays when I'm on a busy train to work with a bunch of straight normies.

I really don't want to have adverts on my phone with homoerotic advertising of semi clothed men advertising underwear, fetish gear or cruisy holidays when I'm on a busy train to work with a bunch of straight normies.

If it was adverts of semi clothed women would you feel as badly?

I'm critical about the portrayal of women in advertising, yes.

But the point is, Facebook is assuming I'm a gay man (by association) and targeting me with quite racy advertising in public and "exposing" me to someone sat next to me on the train.

Surely you can block such adverts?

Are you uncomfortable with FB advertisers or people on public transport assuming you are gay?

Surely you can block such adverts?

Are you uncomfortable with FB advertisers or people on public transport assuming you are gay?
Not really, you can I suppose block adverts in the future for "Big Dong Dangly Thongs" or whatever after the event, but they are on your timeline automatically, based on who you know.

I'm uncomfortable with quite sexualised advertising on social media based on algorithms/friendships etc. though I recognise it is a LOT more difficult for users in more repressive countries.

And yes, I am uncomfortable about people on public transport being able to make assumptions by a chance look at my phone about what may or may not be my thing.

And that's one of the reasons I'm moving away from Stalkbook.

Not really, you can I suppose block adverts in the future for "Big Dong Dangly Thongs" or whatever after the event, but they are on your timeline automatically, based on who you know.

I'm uncomfortable with quite sexualised advertising on social media based on algorithms/friendships etc. though I recognise it is a LOT more difficult for users in more repressive countries.

And yes, I am uncomfortable about people on public transport being able to make assumptions by a chance look at my phone about what may or may not be my thing.

And that's one of the reasons I'm moving away from Stalkbook.

Fair enough.

Tbh, have never had anyone looking at my phone or say anything about its contents, but don't do internet traveling, in general.

It's not a big deal whether randoms have ideas about your orientation, Tbh. Or at least it shouldn't be.

Fair enough.

Tbh, have never had anyone looking at my phone or say anything about its contents, but don't do internet traveling, in general.

It's not a big deal whether randoms have ideas about your orientation, Tbh. Or at least it shouldn't be.

I pass quite well as a straight normie, but if I'm in a night bus full of tanked up Yoof or in a dodgy area in Poland, then I don't want it on public display I like a few Kylie numbers so that Fcukerberg can turn a profit.

We should have had a thread with misinformation on plans to disrupt the coronation, like the thread before May Day in 2001, wonder if the filth ever followed up those fake leads about rogue ice-cream vans

I'm willing to bet that there are loads of other categories as well but is anyone really surprised that a Chinese owned internet company has a side business spying on people?
It's not a side business: increase the number of page views by profiling the user and then stick similar content in front of them. Every additional page is another ad sale. And the ads are matched to the user based on a similar methodology to the content.

I'd guess spy cops are still noseying around here, but are a little less aggressively concerned about the site and its users than they were 10-15 years ago.
Wow, what was happening here back then?
LGBT thing is concerning. China is still incredibly behind, and probably only getting worse, on gay rights.
Tik tok themselves along with other social media companies aren't the main risk, but governments getting access to the collated information. Tiktok can't do any harm to anyone beyond closing their account, but governments on the other hand is different.

Back
Top Bottom