Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Homophobia affecting gay people in Africa

A bill in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is threatening people with 5-15 years of "penal servitude" for same-sex relations, a prison sentence which can't be suspended.

This law, if adopted, would also impose fines of up to 30 million Congolese Francs, or about 9,800 Euros.

These fines would devastate lives in a country where the average monthly income is estimated at only 45 Euros, among the lowest in the world.

This is the third time in 14 years that such an initiative has been proposed. It is a sign of the continuing fight against equality. This proposal criminalizing same-sex love and “all actions associated with homosexuality” would have devastating consequences, reinforcing discrimination and violence against an already vulnerable community.

Petition here:

Oppose the Anti-LGBT+ Bill in the DRC

All Out suggest possible hope regarding Morocco's homophobic legal stance.

In Morocco, the shadow of outdated laws looms over the LGBT+ community, where Article 489 of the Penal Code unjustly criminalizes "lewd or unnatural acts" between same-sex individuals.

Same-sex activity can therefore be punished with anything from six months to three years imprisonment and a fine of 120 to 1,200 dirhams (12 to 120 USD).

However, a unique opportunity has arisen.

The newly elected Minister of Justice removed the draft law regarding criminal code procedures proposed by the Islamist parliament and is open to reevaluating what constitutes a crime. With these shifts in Morocco's political landscape, we stand at a pivotal moment to advocate for change and equality.

Petition here:

Join the Call: Make love legal in Morocco!

Reactions: CH1
Unpleasant thread here. Man kidnapped by peopel impersonating police, beaten and urged to "confess"

US far right groups with Christian leanings helping to promote and amplify their hatred of LGBT

NCOSE’s other ties in Uganda include The Boys’ Mentorship Programme (BMP), run by Godfrey Kuteesa, which it lists as a “Partner Organization” on its website. NCOSE has worked with Kuteesa for nearly a decade, and featured him in the 2015 blog post discussing Wrap week.

BMP’s activities include an annual “Summer Boys’ Boot Camp”, which the organization’s own website describes as “militaristic in nature”.

Last July, Kuteesa posted a video to X (formerly Twitter) that showed him making boys at the boot camp shout “a man marries a woman” four times, before shouting at them “That is the natural way!”

In other posts on X, Kuteesa has written that “gay is not a sexual orientation,” that boys with “pins in their ears … always turn out to be homos”, and that “African Leaders worry that Obama’s charisma will lead young people into homosexual sin.”

There's better news from Namibia, where consensual same-sex relations between men have been decriminalised.

The High Court has declared the common law offences of “sodomy” and “unnatural sexual offences” to be unconstitutional.

These colonial-era laws – which were inherited from South Africa after Namibia’s independence – criminalized consensual same-sex conduct between male adults.

“For now, we are celebrating. We are no longer considered criminals by the law,” a Namibian lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) rights activist told Human Rights Watch.

Friedel Dausab, who brought the case, argued the laws infringed his constitutional rights to equality, dignity, privacy, freedom of expression, and freedom of association, based on his sexual orientation.

Namibia Court Decriminalizes Consensual Same-Sex Conduct

Muholi describes themself as a visual activist. From the early 2000s, they have documented and celebrated the lives of South Africa’s Black lesbian, gay, trans, queer and intersex communities.

Saw this and thought it might be of interest on this thread.

Each room of exhibition has a different theme. I'd say to see the rooms as a whole rather than concentrate a photo at a time.

I'd say it's ultimately uplifting show. Whilst it doesn't shy away from the difficulties LGBT people face it's a celebration of their lives as well. Which I like as it shows people's humanity.

Muholi is also a very good photographer. These are top quality thought out photos.

I've had one look at it and will go back ( plus point of Tate membership). As it's a lot to take in.

Also covers some of the history of LGBT people in SA. Pamphlets/ magazines and posters for example.

Saw this and thought it might be of interest on this thread.

Each room of exhibition has a different theme. I'd say to see the rooms as a whole rather than concentrate a photo at a time.

I'd say it's ultimately uplifting show. Whilst it doesn't shy away from the difficulties LGBT people face it's a celebration of their lives as well. Which I like as it shows people's humanity.

Muholi is also a very good photographer. These are top quality thought out photos.

I've had one look at it and will go back ( plus point of Tate membership). As it's a lot to take in.

Also covers some of the history of LGBT people in SA. Pamphlets/ magazines and posters for example.
Looks good. Meanwhile over at the Barbican until 30th June is this Soufiane Ababri | Barbican
This is an exhibition by a Moroccan artist. I caught it by accident en route to a concert by the London Gay Symphony orchestra at St Giles Cripplegate.
Soufiane Ababri is a painter and gives free reign to his erotic fantasies. So much so I was surprised not to see a trigger warning on the exhibition door!

Back
Top Bottom