Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Homophobia affecting gay people in Africa

What's your point here?

I argued that that the World Bank and the IMF must change their policy of withdrawing "loans" or "aid" from nations such as Uganda and Ghana, whenever those nations pass laws prohibiting LGBTQI+ identities.

I also posited that the counter-productive nature of such policies is so obvious that it must be deliberate.

And I then speculated as to the reasons why the institutional embodiments of global capital are campaigning to impose LGBTQI+ identity on Africa by force. They only ever act out of self interest, so what do they get out of it?

And I then speculated as to the reasons why the institutional embodiments of global capital are campaigning to impose LGBTQI+ identity on Africa by force. They only ever act out of self interest, so what do they get out of it?

You have a theory on this to share?

I argued that that the World Bank and the IMF must change their policy of withdrawing "loans" or "aid" from nations such as Uganda and Ghana, whenever those nations pass laws prohibiting LGBTQI+ identities.

I also posited that the counter-productive nature of such policies is so obvious that it must be deliberate.

How can being gay/transgender etc be "imposed" on a wealth of cultures who have lived it for generations upon generations?

The implication seems to be that gay people would have it just fine and dandy in African countries where they're persecuted, if they would only just be gay in traditional African ways and not actually call themselves gay in a Eurocentric way.

Something tells me that that's complete bullshit.

The implication seems to be that gay people would have it just fine and dandy in African countries where they're persecuted, if they would only just be gay in traditional African ways and not actually call themselves gay in a Eurocentric way.

There would be no "gay people" in Africa without Western intervention, and there would be no homophobia either. The West is attempting to export its own degraded model of sexuality onto Africa, and it is using brute financial force in order to do so.

There would be no "gay people" in Africa without Western intervention, and there would be no homophobia either. The West is attempting to export its own degraded model of sexuality onto Africa, and it is using brute financial force in order to do so.
It's been pointed out to you that there's been gay and transgender people in Africa forever.

And there's nothing degraded about LGBT sexuality there or anywhere else.

Apart from fantastically dense pricks like yourself who's ignorance borders on actual homophobia.

It's been pointed out to you that there's been gay and transgender people in Africa forever.

You don't understand. "Gay" and "transgender" are Western categories, which are being forcibly imposed on Africa.

What you mean is that there have always been same-sex relationships and cross dressing in Africa. But it's racist to attempt to translate African sexuality into Western terms, and that is exactly what you're doing (albeit out of ignorance and stupidity rather than malice).

Unlike you however, the IMF and the World Bank are far from stupid. So it behooves us to ask why they are so determined to remold African sexuality on a Western model.

You don't understand. "Gay" and "transgender" are Western categories, which are being forcibly imposed on Africa.

What you mean is that there have always been same-sex relationships and cross dressing in Africa. But it's racist to attempt to translate African sexuality into Western terms, and that is exactly what you're doing (albeit out of ignorance and stupidity rather than malice).
The only racist here is you.

Unlike you however, the IMF and the World Bank are far from stupid. So it behooves us to ask why they are so determined to remold African sexuality on a Western model.

You better talk to some of the many LGBT groups in various African countrie, then.

Earlier in the thread you seemed unaware of the long history of gay and trans culture on the continent.

Terminologies may change but the idea that the west is imposing gay culture is bullshit.

But apparently it doesn't behoove you to answer what possible interest banks, or indeed anyone else, could have in 'remolding African sexuality', even if this were possible. So you're just trolling.

Tbh I thought you might be able to work it out for yourself. It's not difficult to see the motivation at work here. From today's Guardian:

"“The only thing that unites Ghanians, no matter what political party, or religion, is homophobia,” Kusi says. “Homophobia makes it really hard for people to think clearly. It obstructs your reasoning.”

So according to "Kusi," all Ghanians are homophobes, and all homophobes are irrational and incapable of thinking clearly. So I'd say it's pretty easy to infer what "Kusi" wants to do to the people of Ghana--deprive them of their representative government and replace it with the World Bank, which "Kusi" presumably regards as more rational and capable of clearer thought than the Ghanian people on any number of subjects.

So I'd say it's pretty easy to infer what "Kusi" wants to do to the people of Ghana--deprive them of their representative government and replace it with the World Bank, which "Kusi" presumably regards as more rational and capable of clearer thought than the Ghanian people on any number of subjects.
Anyone who could infer that particular conclusion is either deliberately trolling or out where the buses don't run. I have not yet worked out which applies to you. Of course, both could be true.

Tbh I thought you might be able to work it out for yourself. It's not difficult to see the motivation at work here. From today's Guardian:

"“The only thing that unites Ghanians, no matter what political party, or religion, is homophobia,” Kusi says. “Homophobia makes it really hard for people to think clearly. It obstructs your reasoning.”

So according to "Kusi," all Ghanians are homophobes, and all homophobes are irrational and incapable of thinking clearly. So I'd say it's pretty easy to infer what "Kusi" wants to do to the people of Ghana--deprive them of their representative government and replace it with the World Bank, which "Kusi" presumably regards as more rational and capable of clearer thought than the Ghanian people on any number of subjects.
That's ridiculous. He is simply saying that homophobic Ghanaians pursue a united agenda in a way that liberals. moderates or what have you don't.
The article doesn't mention the World Bank either. Nothing to do with it.
What concerns me is there is a World Council of Churches conference in Accra from 15th 20th April and the great and the good of the Protestant world - many of whose churches support gay rights - probably don't even know what damage is being done in Ghana in their name,. GCF Fourth Global Gathering – That The World May Know
The recommended hotels have some choice room rates - maybe they need to study Matthew 19:24 while they are at it.

I might rail about people who have been led into stupidity in the UK, or in the US, or indeed elsewhere, for that matter, whether that stupidity is homophobia or racism or anything else. But it doesn't mean I want to deprive them of their representative government, let alone replace it with the World Bank, of all things. You might as well say Kusi is dreaming of replacing the government with aliens from the planet Zog. It's hard to believe that anyone could say this sort of thing seriously.

I might rail about people who have been led into stupidity in the UK, or in the US, or indeed elsewhere, for that matter, whether that stupidity is homophobia or racism or anything else. But it doesn't mean I want to deprive them of their representative government, let alone replace it with the World Bank, of all things. You might as well say Kusi is dreaming of replacing the government with aliens from the planet Zog. It's hard to believe that anyone could say this sort of thing seriously.

Because the World Bank and the IMF would obviously never attempt to interfere in issues affecting Ghanian sexuality. That's none of their business, is it? Why would they care about encouraging homosexuality in Ghana? Does "Kusi" look like a World Bank spokesman to you? Haha no-one can take this sort of thing seriously, haha how amusing it all is. Oh, hang on....

Because the World Bank and the IMF would obviously never attempt to interfere in issues affecting Ghanian sexuality. That's none of their business, is it? Why would they care about encouraging homosexuality in Ghana? Haha no-one can take this sort of thing seriously, haha how amusing it all is. Oh, hang on....

Give a proper link please.

So let me get this straight, if that's the word: by magically influencing some Ghanains to adopt 'Western sexuality', the World Bank is hoping to get the silent majority of straight Ghanaians to implement harsh measures that allow them to witdraw funding? Thus causing the corrupted sexuality brigade to deliver the country, equally magically, into their hands?

What's wrong with the FT?

It's paywalled.

Because the World Bank and the IMF would obviously never attempt to interfere in issues affecting Ghanian sexuality. That's none of their business, is it? Why would they care about encouraging homosexuality in Ghana? Does "Kusi" look like a World Bank spokesman to you? Haha no-one can take this sort of thing seriously, haha how amusing it all is. Oh, hang on....

Out of interest, why are you putting someone's name in scare quotes?

Oh and it's 'Ghanaian'. If you're going to make a point of criticizing someone else's tiny mistakes in a foreign language, as you did with my Spanish some time ago, you could at least try learning your own.

This Twitter post from Rev Jide Macaulay (an Anglican priest in Hackney) alerted me to a side of Nigeria I was completely unaware of

For reference Wikipedia covers Bobrinsky's case, and more.........

Brobinsky is currently imprisoned on a trumped up charge and Brown was held in prison for a month by the police before being freed by the court.

A liberal religious Ghanain quoting both Islamic and Christian scripture opposes prison for gay fornication as inequitable and unfair (a thread)

So let me get this straight, if that's the word: by magically influencing some Ghanains to adopt 'Western sexuality', the World Bank is hoping to get the silent majority of straight Ghanaians to implement harsh measures that allow them to witdraw funding? Thus causing the corrupted sexuality brigade to deliver the country, equally magically, into their hands?

The question is why the World Bank and the IMF feel so strongly about this issue that they're prepared to plunge Ghana (and Uganda) into economic poverty and political crisis unless their democratically-elected governments defy their constituents.

We know that their motive is financial profit. So why do they believe--evidently very strongly--that they will profit from the legalization of non-procreative sexualities throughout sub-Saharan Africa?

Back
Top Bottom