Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

i love retsina! nice one

Me too, I ordered a whole load of bottles of Kourtaki from Sainsbury's with some money I was given for my birthday, but usually the stuff they do in Lidl is far better and more piney while still being quite reasonably priced :)

Fucking fantastic, I saw it was Greek week coming up and am planning to go at the weekend, but they didn't have any retsina listed on their website.

Did you happen to spot whether they had ouzo or jars of stuffed peppers? (Not expecting you to know the entire stocklist, just wondering whether you saw any! Not had ouzo for a while and as it is summer I have a bit of a hankering)
Ouzo yes
Greek coffee
Various Greek sweet stuff
Balsamic vinegar & olive oil in various formats
Honey
Big jars of olives
Some sort of beans in tomato sauce in a jar (could have been peppers didn’t look thoroughly)
Mythos
Stuffed vine leaves
What looked like white beans in a jar

Like I say nothing in the chiller at my Lidl so perhaps thats due to go out tomorrow.

I remember this being a popular choice with urban before :)

Didn’t actually buy anything myself as I’m trying to run down stocks at present

Ouzo yes
Greek coffee
Honey
Big jars of olives
Some sort of beans in tomato sauce in a jar
Mythos
Stuffed vine leaves

Like I say nothing in the chiller at my Lidl so perhaps thats due to go out tomorrow.

Fantastic, thank you so much! Will definitely head over to Lidl probably on Sunday then, OH will have been paid and I can stock up on retsina and ouzo.
I do like Greek beans but tend to make my own, some nice olive oil and some baklava or other sweet treats would go down well though!

And yeah Lidl Greek Week is certainly popular with me :D :D

Ouzo yes
Greek coffee
Honey
Big jars of olives
Some sort of beans in tomato sauce in a jar (could have been peppers didn’t look thoroughly)
Mythos
Stuffed vine leaves

Didn’t actually buy anything myself as I’m trying to run down stocks at present
how much was the ouzo do you remember?

Hopefully they have the manouri again. Personally I prefer the hard hit of feta in a salad, but the young'un won't eat something that strong and the manouri makes a fantastic replacement.

Hopefully they have the manouri again. Personally I prefer the hard hit of feta in a salad, but the young'un won't eat something that strong and the manouri makes a fantastic replacement.

I love feta but OH isn't so keen, might give that a go.

It doesn't quite have that tang of course, but it's salty, creamy and rather moreish. Definitely needs a salad, as it's a bit bland on its own. I think I remember reading it's what they make with the leftover bits from feta production.

It doesn't quite have that tang of course, but it's salty, creamy and rather moreish. Definitely needs a salad, as it's a bit bland on its own. I think I remember reading it's what they make with the leftover bits from feta production.

It sounds good, apparently it can be grilled too (I googled it for more info), I do like all sorts of that type of cheese so worth a go if I see any in there!

Just found out that the new Lidl on Green Street (a lot easier to get to for me than the Beckton one) opened today!

YAY!

Just also found out that there were apparently queues to get in today, so as OH's work schedule means a quick shop is on the cards, looks like we'll still be better off trekking over to Beckton tomorrow. Not sure what that means in terms of the 300 bus being rerouted recently either.

BOO!

Might just see which bus turns up first, maybe if we get to the Green Street one early it will be ok.

Are there any plants or garden stuff at Lidl or Aldi at the moment?

I want to get to Lidl for Greek week. Shame there's not one near me anymore. Will have to dig my bike out.

I ended up going to both Beckton AND Green Street Lidls, because Beckton had no retsina or ouzo! (Got both at Green Street, which was utter mayhem so I treated myself to a Greggs sausage roll afterwards, Greggs is right next door so I can see that being a fairly regular trip, the fucking things are like crack :rolleyes: )

But... BUT... In Beckton, which I went to early...

I scored one of the almost mythical "Waste Not" veg boxes!!!

8 bananas
14!!! assorted apples (I think most are gala but there was a big dark red one and a couple of green ones too)
8 tomatoes (slightly over-ripe, will probably cook them down with some herbs and garlic and freeze for future pasta sauces)
8 onions

FOR £1.50!!!!

One pound and fucking fifty of your Earth pence I kid you not.

Well chuffed!

I ended up going to both Beckton AND Green Street Lidls, because Beckton had no retsina or ouzo! (Got both at Green Street, which was utter mayhem so I treated myself to a Greggs sausage roll afterwards, Greggs is right next door so I can see that being a fairly regular trip, the fucking things are like crack :rolleyes: )

But... BUT... In Beckton, which I went to early...

I scored one of the almost mythical "Waste Not" veg boxes!!!

8 bananas
14!!! assorted apples (I think most are gala but there was a big dark red one and a couple of green ones too)
8 tomatoes (slightly over-ripe, will probably cook them down with some herbs and garlic and freeze for future pasta sauces)
8 onions

FOR £1.50!!!!

One pound and fucking fifty of your Earth pence I kid you not.

Well chuffed!
What - no potatoes! :)

What - no potatoes! :)

I'm actually fancying another batch of Greek roasties now as I am feeling Greek themed again atm and I've got a fresh load of lemons in now :D
I might pick up a bag of spuds when I go to Morrison's for some bits and pieces. SMALL bag though, not a bloody giant one that is going to be on the go for weeks :D
It's one of those things that's a bit too heavy to lug all the way back from Lidl and the Morrisons ones are pretty good value

I bloody love ouzo, I was considering 2 bottles but we're having to be a bit sensible with the finances (and me with the drinking :hmm: ) so I restrained myself and just got the 1.

It's £16+ for 70cl everywhere else that I looked, so £11.99 seems like a good deal.

Aldi were doing a rather nice sparkling shiraz - initially it was available in store, then on-line only, now . . . no longer listed, bastards

I spotted it was Greek week today and for some dolmades and aubergines in tomato sauce (melitzanosalata) but totally forgot to look for retsina! Argh!

Although I am recovering from an operation and can neither drink nor carry stuff at the moment, so maybe it's for the best.

If I hadn't had the operation when I did I'd be in Greece now, drinking retsina in tavernas.

Do they have those big spinach and feta pastry spiral things in the freezer as part of Greek week? Though it might annoy me if they do as I’ve just splashed out on one from Costco which was almost six quid as a treat, think the Lidl version when they have them are only £3.

Back
Top Bottom