Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

Aldi unfortunately has an impressive selection of lovely French reds - from £5 to £10 - plus a few posher ones I may treat myself to later ...

aldiwines.jpg

And I was grateful for the body warmer I got for £15 which will probably pay for itself this winter ..
I'm still catching the odd whiff of plastic, but it will hopefully settle down .. the XXL is sitting comfortably over 4 tee shirts and a heavy cotton shirt ..
The only issue now is my arms feel a little cool in contrast so I will be looking for a long-sleeved something or other to go with it ...

Workwear-Bodywarmer-A.jpg

Last edited:
Aldi unfortunately has an impressive selection of lovely French reds - from £5 to £10 - plus a few posher ones I may treat myself to later ...

View attachment 298228

And I was grateful for the body warmer I got for £15 which will probably pay for itself this winter ..
I'm still catching the odd whiff of plastic, but it will hopefully settle down .. the XXL is sitting comfortably over 4 tee shirts and a heavy cotton shirt ..
The only issue now is my arms feel a little cool in contrast so I will be looking for a long-sleeved something or other to go with it ...

View attachment 298229
Someone should make special sleeves that can solve the cold arms problem.

Or, maybe... :hmm: :D

Never appreciated moscatel until I moved here, that serra de estrela cheese is very underrated as well.

Moscatel is awesome. As long as it doesnt have Mourinho's face on it!! Ahh Portuguese food is banging. Great fresh ingredients. Only Iberian thing I hate are those macarons and similar dusty dry christmas mingery from Spain - polverones/mantecados. the stuff of nightmares!!

Bolo de mel from Madeira has to be one of my absolute favourites though!!

The dry aged rump steak was very good and excellent VFM. Am I right in thinking you probably end up with more meat after cooking when it's been dry aged?

Aldi 500g sprouts 19p :)

Now that I have a fridge, I'm less enthused by sprouts on a stalk ... perhaps I'll treat myself to one over the solstice for an alternative to my standard stew - which reminds me I'll need to pick up some spuds ...

Aldi are doing some cracking Xmas cheese at the moment. Standouts so far for me are a creamy Bleu D’Affinois and a superb Truffled Brie. At just over 2 quid each it’s a steal 😋😛
i havent been able to leave the house since Monday due to catching covid and not allowed to now until Thursday next week (23rd). I saw these cheeses a couple of weeks ago in my local Aldi, along with quite a few other tasty looking bits, and i am beside myself with anxiety that by the time i am out of isolation, all this booty will be sold out given its so close to Christmas. Shpould have stocked up on the long dated stuff, like cheese, whilst i had the chance.

i havent been able to leave the house since Monday due to catching covid and not allowed to now until Thursday next week (23rd). I saw these cheeses a couple of weeks ago in my local Aldi, along with quite a few other tasty looking bits, and i am beside myself with anxiety that by the time i am out of isolation, all this booty will be sold out given its so close to Christmas. Shpould have stocked up on the long dated stuff, like cheese, whilst i had the chance.

Oh no! Perhaps some kind soul will go to the shop for you? If you’re in Leeds then I’ll help you out 🙂

Oh no! Perhaps some kind soul will go to the shop for you? If you’re in Leeds then I’ll help you out 🙂
Thanks, im well sorted in that respect as my girlfriend who lives with me hasnt yet caught it off me so is going to Aldi daily, but i need time to peruse and choose myself, rather than give out instructions :D

(im not really beside myself with anxiety about it, just being silly!)

Veggie sausage rolls have disappeared from our locals along with salt and vinegar twists, sugar free granola and 1kg tubs of peanut butter...although jars have gone down in price making them cheaper per kilo.

Anyone else noticing pice rises in aldi? Quite a lot of things have gone up by about 10% 😬
Yeah, loads of things are more. The 85p pizzas have crept up to £1.05 now. Still very decent for the money.

The pound is down the shitter a bit at the moment so expect stuff from overseas to be a bit pricier whilst it remains there.

Aldi 'Plant Menu Vive La Vegan' Spicy No-Chicken Burgers.

Utterly. Revolting.

Looked ok. cooked ok, came out looking like a vegan mock-chicken burger. Cut into it, absolutely HONKED and the taste was horrible. If I didn't know it was vegan I'd be worried that the little bit I ate before spitting the rest out was going to give me the vomits. I'm normally quite happy with a spicy beanburger but not these.

Aldi 'Plant Menu Vive La Vegan' Spicy No-Chicken Burgers.

Utterly. Revolting.

Looked ok. cooked ok, came out looking like a vegan mock-chicken burger. Cut into it, absolutely HONKED and the taste was horrible. If I didn't know it was vegan I'd be worried that the little bit I ate before spitting the rest out was going to give me the vomits. I'm normally quite happy with a spicy beanburger but not these.

We had this discussion in the house the other night. Anything plant based that claims to be like chicken is usually vile, except Quorn.

Reactions: izz
We had this discussion in the house the other night. Anything plant based that claims to be like chicken is usually vile, except Quorn.

OH loves the Quorn southern style burgers, haven't found anything else that resembles a chicken burger that he's enjoyed, but the quorn ones are his faves.

I'm normally quite open to the idea of a spicy beanburger and have had many toothsome ones but this, eeeeuuurrrghhh - and the stench as well - mind you they did come from China so mebbe something went awry on the way.

Back
Top Bottom