Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

I have occasionally been buying Salmon fillets from the co-op for £5.00 or less when reduced.

Imagine my joy to see almost the exact same thing in Lidl for £3.30 :)

A cursory glance at the Lidl wine rack also shows loads of prices Morrisons, my local shop and the co-op would never get near!

The non-spicy chickenless burgers are decent in Aldi, but as ever stock is a bit sketchy. They’re much chunkier and more succulent than the spicy ones. Quite enjoying the fake fish fillets, though they’re not very fishy in taste, but texture good. Everything gets drowned in ketchup anyway so it’s kind of irrelevant.

Reactions: izz
The non-spicy chickenless burgers are decent in Aldi, but as ever stock is a bit sketchy. They’re much chunkier and more succulent than the spicy ones. Quite enjoying the fake fish fillets, though they’re not very fishy in taste, but texture good. Everything gets drowned in ketchup anyway so it’s kind of irrelevant.

"....non-spicy chickenless burgers...." bloody hell, this makes the UK sound like a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

I have occasionally been buying Salmon fillets from the co-op for £5.00 or less when reduced.

Imagine my joy to see almost the exact same thing in Lidl for £3.30 :)

A cursory glance at the Lidl wine rack also shows loads of prices Morrisons, my local shop and the co-op would never get near!
The salmon fillet section in my Aldi, South London, 9 times out of 10 looks like a plague of locusts ripped through it when I visit in the hope of buying a pack.

My Aldi had loads of Tom Fletcher books for the under 5's. I got 4 of the "There is a Monster/Alien/Unicorn/Superhero/Elf in in my book" All at £1.99, bargain, Magoo loves them.

Reactions: izz
Lidl are doing 'Waste Not Want Not' boxes of fruit and veg for £1.50 (boxes by checkouts).

Just got one and there's easily £10 worth in there. The peppers alone normally cost me £1.50 for 3. Well made up! The shadow's hiding some of the contents here - there's tons.

Attachments

• 20220512_112213.jpg
    20220512_112213.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 21
Lidl are doing 'Waste Not Want Not' boxes of fruit and veg for £1.50 (boxes by checkouts).

Just got one and there's easily £10 worth in there. The peppers alone normally cost me £1.50 for 3. Well made up! The shadow's hiding some of the contents here - there's tons.
Yeah they've been doing those in my local store for a while. They're not always there but when they are they're a total bargain!

Yeah in my local one you have to get there at the sparrow's fart to be in with a chance - last time I went early AM (met OH when he was on his way back from work and headed over to Lidl together on the bus) there was 1 left and it was mostly bananas, which I am not that keen on, so I left it for someone who really likes bananas to take advantage of :D

But yeah, good amount of stuff in there for the price.

Slightly off topic, but if you're normally paying £1.50 for 3 peppers and can get to/order delivery from a Morrison's, give them a try - their wonky veg range is great and a lot cheaper - bag of peppers (usually 5 or 6 big ones, sometimes also have some of the very little ones in) is currently about £1.20.

I wish our local one did that. we could definitely make good use of it, and I don’t care if veg are past their best before, as long as they‘re useable.

Yeah in my local one you have to get there at the sparrow's fart to be in with a chance - last time I went early AM (met OH when he was on his way back from work and headed over to Lidl together on the bus) there was 1 left and it was mostly bananas, which I am not that keen on, so I left it for someone who really likes bananas to take advantage of :D

But yeah, good amount of stuff in there for the price.

Slightly off topic, but if you're normally paying £1.50 for 3 peppers and can get to/order delivery from a Morrison's, give them a try - their wonky veg range is great and a lot cheaper - bag of peppers (usually 5 or 6 big ones, sometimes also have some of the very little ones in) is currently about £1.20.
Ah that's a bugger. I went at 11, fully expecting there to be none left, but there were still 3 boxes, and all with a good variety of stuff.

I used to shop at Morrisons, but tbh, their veggie range (round here) is wank, as are their fresh and dried herbs. You can't get brown rice or pasta in there either.

I've had a few of those boxes from Booths, similar deal - they only crop up from time to time though, the rest of the time you have to pay through the nose for your kohl rabi and purple sprouting brocolli

I do this quite a bit. I'm actually usually there too early for them.
If they are there I get my pick of the boxes. Got a large amount of pak choi yesterday, that alone was easily about £3 worth.

I keep hearing about these but have never seen them - is there a time of day they are more likely to have them - first thing? late in day?

Yeah same, I’ve already my shopping and it’s on the conveyor belt so no way to inspect what’s available plus I already have my fruit and veg

I wonder if they’re behind the tills to deter you self-upgrading the selection?

Yeah same, I’ve already my shopping and it’s on the conveyor belt so no way to inspect what’s available plus I already have my fruit and veg

I wonder if they’re behind the tills to deter you self-upgrading the selection?

Yeah that, I typically go and have a look to see if there are any on the shelf the other side of the tills while I am waiting in the queue for the checkout.

Greek stuff is in Lidl now including retsina! All dry stuff no chilled at present

Fucking fantastic, I saw it was Greek week coming up and am planning to go at the weekend, but they didn't have any retsina listed on their website.

Did you happen to spot whether they had ouzo or jars of stuffed peppers? (Not expecting you to know the entire stocklist, just wondering whether you saw any! Not had ouzo for a while and as it is summer I have a bit of a hankering)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom