Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

There's currently a double tarpaulin set for sale in one of these, possibly Aldi. Surface area of 2 x 3m, both together. Have 3 metal eyelets on each side and comes with a load of nylon rope. £8.99! Absolute bargain.
I bought exactly the same several years ago and can vouch for their longevity.

Reactions: bmd
There's currently a double tarpaulin set for sale in one of these, possibly Aldi. Surface area of 2 x 3m, both together. Have 3 metal eyelets on each side and comes with a load of nylon rope. £8.99! Absolute bargain.
Do you know how long it is on sale for? I can't visit until next week.

Do you know how long it is on sale for? I can't visit until next week.

They're still available on the website with some 4x3m available aswell. Delivery is £2.95 delivery or free over £30.

There's bound to another £22 worth of shit in the Special Buys you don't really need and it's easy to return stuff in the shop to get things refunded....if that's more convenient obvs

Reactions: bmd
For those amongst us who like Lurpak slightly salted speadable "butter" Aldi do their own take on it - Nordpak - currently listed at £2.19 / 500g

Where as Lurpak, for a 500g tub is listed at £4.49

And, obviously, there is a very slight difference in taste, I don't really notice any difference, but then I have a cider drinkers palate, so what do I know. What I do know is I can buy twice as much for the same amount

For those amongst us who like Lurpak slightly salted speadable "butter" Aldi do their own take on it - Nordpak - currently listed at £2.19 / 500g

Where as Lurpak, for a 500g tub is listed at £4.49

And, obviously, there is a very slight difference in taste, I don't really notice any difference, but then I have a cider drinkers palate, so what do I know. What I do know is I can buy twice as much for the same amount
The Lidl fancy "West Country Sea Salt" spreadable is a bit more than that, but still cheaper than Lurpak and - quite frankly - nicer than Lurpak.

Just thought I'd mention Lidl's Parma ham. Being real Parma ham it has no nitrites, which are a substantial cancer risk. Nearly all processed meats contain nitrites. The Lidl stuff tastes MUCH better than Sainsburys or M&S. In a different league. I've not checked the price but it's bound to be cheaper.

They're still available on the website with some 4x3m available aswell. Delivery is £2.95 delivery or free over £30.

There's bound to another £22 worth of shit in the Special Buys you don't really need and it's easy to return stuff in the shop to get things refunded....if that's more convenient obvs
That is very helpful thank you . I didn't know there was a delivery.

Have Lidl stopped doing the tinned herring in various sauces? A recent delicious discovery, but now it's never on the shelves, and the shelf labels have gone too.

Saw a notice up today outside my Lidl:

"We're closing for a lick of paint"...until February (2023, I presume?)...that's some fucking paint job. :confused:

I got some of that the other day. Perhaps I was lucky!
Haven't seen any in about two months. the labels are still on the shelves but no soup. Been buying 50p/can cream of tomato and then adding some chorizo sausage and a good spoon of hot cayenne pepper and blending it all together. Then I add a pack of £1 meatballs from Iceland to the flask to marinade in for a few hours in my backpack. It's a proper great lunch.

Reactions: izz
Saw a notice up today outside my Lidl:

"We're closing for a lick of paint"...until February (2023, I presume?)...that's some fucking paint job. :confused:
Our is too, and the car park's already been closed for a month. There's a bigger one that's an extra 10 minute walk in the opposite direction, but the closed one is in the middle of the local High Street with all sorts of other things I can attend to around it. The bigger one is in the middle of nowhere.

Our is too, and the car park's already been closed for a month. There's a bigger one that's an extra 10 minute walk in the opposite direction, but the closed one is in the middle of the local High Street with all sorts of other things I can attend to around it. The bigger one is in the middle of nowhere.
I think we're both talking about Wallington's 'old sainsbury's' Lidl, aren't we?

Reactions: Chz
Have Lidl stopped doing the tinned herring in various sauces? A recent delicious discovery, but now it's never on the shelves, and the shelf labels have gone too.
was it a special offer thing? Could be a supply issue, herring season hasn't started yet this year, you need to wait about another month.
Also Lidl Danpak is a higher butter content than Aldi Nordpak, Lidl is 65% butter. Unless Aldi havee upped the butter content in the last few yrs but I doubt it :)

I think we're both talking about Wallington's 'old sainsbury's' Lidl, aren't we?
Yeah, we live by the Green so Hackbridge isn't stupid far away but there's nothing else (of use) there. I know Wally High St. ain't all that, but it could be a lot worse, too.

What is people's experience with freshness of produce from Lidl?

I really only ever go in for my annual haul of German Christmas chocolates. Mostly because there isn't a Lidl near me, but also because of what I thought might be prejudice about the quality of their stuff. Did a big shop the other day there anyway, and it was worse than I feared.

Bag of apples - every single one had multiple big bruises. Three large onions- first one I cut into was completely rotten inside. Lemon, net of four or five - one mouldy within 3 days. And, kinda the worst - a sealed and in date pouch of pita bread. It had slightly suspicious looking pinprick-size white spots, but I thought it might just be flour that they put on to make it look rustic...not so...a couple of days later the pinpricks had mushroomed into 10-pence-size spots...boak!

For me, it was mainly an annoyance (and sort of put me off of the rest of my purchases in case of further nasty surprises...) but for someone who is really counting their pennies, it could make things really hard.

I think someone mentioned questionable quality of meat upthread...

My general opinion on Lidl...

Bread: Not bad. Not great, either. It's a supermarket - I rate them all like that. I like their semi-rye if there's a bakery on-site. Pitas are something that always go off very quickly, no matter where I buy them from.

Meat: Cured stuff is good. Chicken is chicken, not a lot to say there. Beef almost always disappointing. The best ones in beef are either the aged roasting joint (hard to get wrong) or the tiny minute steaks where you expect them to be a bit chewy so long as the flavour is good. Seems to be a theme that their beef is tasty enough, but frequently stringy. Ultimate burgers are even like that and they're mince!

Fruit and veg: Choose carefully. Bananas are always fine, but don't expect much from stone fruit. Apples you get what you pay for - the expensive ones are much better than the cheapo bunch in a bag. Never had a problem with veg. For onions I usually get the organic ones, so I can't compare to you. For anything in-season, I usually go to the Turkish shop down the road for fruit. Again, I find all supermarkets to be bad at this.

Eggs: Good price for organics (we have an antibiotic allergy in the house). Never had a problem.

The rest: Frozen veg is fine, but generally nicer in Iceland for the same price. Love the weekly stuff, esp. Italian week. After a bad experience with the safety switch locking in the on position, will never trust the power tools.

Fruit and veg from Lidl goes off very quickly. That's generally true across the board. But it's about the same price as fruit and veg from other supermarkets that's reduced for a quick sale. Got to be sure to use them quickly, but ime veg from Waitrose that's been reduced will last longer than veg from Lidl that isn't reduced (and Lidl virtually never reduce their fresh fruit/veg).

Spinach from Lidl is very good value, as are their mushrooms. Their quality is mostly fine. The Maris piper spuds are normally fine as well.

Back
Top Bottom