Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

LIDL
Provolone, they stock it barely ever and then I buy like 8. No one else seems to stock it
Skyr - fantastic stuff, low carb, low fat, low calorie, delicious
Local beer - cheaper than everywhere else
Pork Shoulder - cheaper than everywhere else and good quality, I have tried them all
Various Polish meats
Emmental/Gouda etc, not fussed about it being sliced but thats useful, cheap and good tho.
Pierogi - enough said
That banana liquor they do only on south american week it seems, SO loves it, can't find it elsewhere.
One of the seed breads, forget which but its delicious.

Don't drive and the only choice is JS or Waitrose. :(

Used to love having a Lidl up the road especially coming up to Xmas.
Where do you live? Knightsbridge? :D

Surely the local Co-op is cheaper than those two no?

Must admit I hit Sainsbury's (Over the boarder) when the 25% off 6 is on and I hit the baker for free yeast, nick a handful of Lindor chocolates and buy anything that's marked down in the cheese isle. These are challenging times M'lord.

yep, the pouch will have been pierced at some point, not just gone off. I actually had a similar experience recently in Aldi, but noticed before i go to the till that the rice was all green in within the packet.
On the topic of Lidl freshness and going off.

Milk 4pts. I have had to throw out Lidl milk that was off, well within date, 3 times recently.

Onions. The last bag I bought was just Ok when opened, and half the bag thrown away a couple of days later.

Macaroni Cheese ready meals. My son likes these, and you only have to look at them for them to go bad.

Maybe my branch is just bad at storage?

On the topic of Lidl freshness and going off.

Milk 4pts. I have had to throw out Lidl milk that was off, well within date, 3 times recently.

Onions. The last bag I bought was just Ok when opened, and half the bag thrown away a couple of days later.

Macaroni Cheese ready meals. My son likes these, and you only have to look at them for them to go bad.

Maybe my branch is just bad at storage?
you should mention the milk in case it's a problem with the fridge either in store or on the truck. Fridges in store used to get checked 3 times a day, not sure what the regs are now

I noticed that and am disappointed too.
In herring related news, they now have small packs of herring in various sauces next to the Sushi in the fridge. Think they are trying to market herring as the new trendy lunch item- good luck with that. I tried the herring in onion, dill and lemon and it was very sharp tasting compared to the tins.

Oh I forgot to mention. Lidl Oil paints for only a fiver. They seem to be ok. . . certainly worth a fiver anyway, I bought a second pack and some acrylics.
There were still some left the other day, though I assume it was the usual one week offer.

Where do you live? Knightsbridge? :D

Surely the local Co-op is cheaper than those two no?

Must admit I hit Sainsbury's (Over the boarder) when the 25% off 6 is on and I hit the baker for free yeast, nick a handful of Lindor chocolates and buy anything that's marked down in the cheese isle. These are challenging times M'lord.
Waitrose is cheaper than the coop, I would say. Waitrose isn't as pricey as some people seem to think. It's a bit more than Sainsbury/Tesco but not a lot.

Waitrose is cheaper than the coop, I would say. Waitrose isn't as pricey as some people seem to think. It's a bit more than Sainsbury/Tesco but not a lot.
Not round here mate. Some odd things are probably more expensive but your mainstay shopping items are markedly cheaper than waitrose. Plus there's a shitload of marked down bargains to be had at mine every evening.
Chester's waitress is so posh they charge you for the air you breath in store. They do sell Craster Kippers though which is the only reason I ever go.

I rarely go to Lidl as I don't have a convenient one. Plus when I do go I get overexcited and buy weird shit.

However, I do rate their Gosh! range of plant based sausages, falafel and whatnot from the chiller. They're pretty tasty. The sausages are lentily rather than meaty.

I do not recommend the own brand custard. Obviously made cheap by removing anything nice.

Aldi have big bags of very nice "British red" apples.
At the moment they're Braeburns and spot on ripe.
The only snag is they're ginormous and I struggle to get through a whole one on my park walk.

Greek week in Lidl, highly recommend jarred figs in syrup, I thought they'd be way too sweet but this isn't the case, they're quite lush and splendid in porridge. Bought soft cheese with olives and that's pretty lush as well.

E2a. The Greek style meatballs stuffed with cheese, not so much. 🤢🤮

Last edited:
Aldi are coming to the end of the Sparkling Shiraz that they had in for Christmas . . . at <£7 / bottle well worth getting some in if they have any left where you are

It’s gone now but the Aldi bowler and Brolly English sparkling wine they had at Christmas was great. I’d definitely get it again though it might not be till next Christmas

Just had a rare trip to Aldi (none very near me, sadly). Was one of their small stores (which I didn't realise they had) with only self-service tills and not stocking bulky products (which was a pity as my main reason for doing the trip was to get one of their giant packs of loo roll - 24 rolls for £6.99!), but bought some other inexpensive bits and bobs. Looking forward to the frozen cherries to have with my morning porridge. Am gonna trial their extremely cheap laundry detergent. And am currently enjoying one of their mini bottles of Rioja.

From Aldi, had these for lunch today, pretty tasty and a much better price than the Itsu ones in Sainsburys (£2.50 versus £4)

4088600545547_0_XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom