Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

I noticed that Lidl managed to delay prices rises longer than the other supermarkets but I've really noticed them kick in over the last couple of months. No blame to them, I'm glad they managed to delay it, but I feel sad when I see, e.g. the price of their cheeses and their better coffees. The feeling of it being a bargain has lessened, basically because nowhere is cheap now.

I noticed that Lidl managed to delay prices rises longer than the other supermarkets but I've really noticed them kick in over the last couple of months. No blame to them, I'm glad they managed to delay it, but I feel sad when I see, e.g. the price of their cheeses and their better coffees. The feeling of it being a bargain has lessened, basically because nowhere is cheap now.
What would you say are their better coffees?

I'm also going to pop back and see if there's any of the bechamel in cartons leftover from Italian week. I tried it in a lasagne and it's great, bit of a gamechanger.
I use it for macaroni cheese, just heat it and chuck cheese in. Ridiculously tasty. I got three on Saturday, used one at the weekend and got two more yesterday.

I use it for macaroni cheese, just heat it and chuck cheese in. Ridiculously tasty. I got three on Saturday, used one at the weekend and got two more yesterday.

Yes, I've just made cauliflower cheese with it. I actually think it's much better than any bechamel I've ever made myself.

The ones that say their origin - Colombian, Kenyan etc. They still aren't amazing coffees but better than the 'Italian' and 'French'.
I used to buy their French coffee. I thought it was was fine, and it was £1.09. It's now £1.89.

I've noticed generally that the cheapest ranges are the ones that have gone up the most. I see something I want that has gone up in price pretty much every time I go there.

I think their French roast, like all other supermarkets, is the one consistently nice flavoured one, and lidls is nearly a pound cheaper than Sainsbury’s

This actually my coffee of choice, so it really depends on how you like your coffee RubyToogood
Everyone is different. Some people like half-robusta mud to get them going. I only get to have one coffee a day, so I go with the 30 gbp a kilo nonsense. I don't think there's much coffee that's "bad", it's just a question of who it'll appeal to.

This is a decent cobra style beer in Aldi

350367C7-5834-48D3-87BC-327995B2A507.jpeg
I’ve also enjoyed this Swiss Pinot which is about a tenner

AA835411-D294-47EB-BD57-09DD91FAAD9C.jpeg
And this Lebanese red which is £9

3858456B-6369-46B8-BC3E-4DA675144C57.jpeg
Both in the wooden baskets not the main display.

I don’t tend to buy the cheaper wine as I’d rather drink what I perceive to be better and more interesting stuff and probably only have it once a month or so. There was a nice burgundy too that I’ve had some of but not seen it of late

Not an object to look for but something to look out for. Been to Aldi today and saw Garner's pickled onions. My favourite, I thought, and cheaper than everywhere else. But then I noticed the jar was smaller. Checked Tesco online and the jar size at Aldi was indeed smaller. Hmm. Then the same with Geeta's mango chutney. They're pulling the old pound shop trick. Shrinkflation to make it look better value.

Aldi are down to their rough Côtes du Rhône (which is probably fine with the right food) ... and French varietals - plus some generic blended "French red wine" on the bottom shelf for £3.29 ...
Luckily I made a special visit for cabbage to grate in my salad and found the last of the screw-top Fitou had been brought to the front of the shop for Easter ... as the only Francophile in the village I felt it my duty to grab as much as I could carry and won't rule-out sneaking back to see if any more appears .....

And they unfortunately (from a calorific POV) have some fairly decent medjoul dates at £3.49 for 500g - perhaps a bit jammy, but I've had far worse...

Not an object to look for but something to look out for. Been to Aldi today and saw Garner's pickled onions. My favourite, I thought, and cheaper than everywhere else. But then I noticed the jar was smaller. Checked Tesco online and the jar size at Aldi was indeed smaller. Hmm. Then the same with Geeta's mango chutney. They're pulling the old pound shop trick. Shrinkflation to make it look better value.
Yep I grabbed a jar of Geeta's Mango and it's the size of jar usually reserved for the fancier pickles...

Last year I started taking semi regular walks. The daps I was using at the had very thin soles so a new, suitable pair were looked into

I wasn't convinced that I was committed enough to walking to get some proper, read - expensive, shoes so I looked for a more, cost conscious option - hello Aldi

Less than £20 saw a brand new pair of fell style jogging trainers.

My walk is around 1 hour

These shoes went into the bin yesterday having split both sides, on both shoes. They will have been used less than 100 hours. I'm not impressed and no, I don't have the receipt and wouldn't want another pair anyway

Had a pretty bleak time in Aldi, Sydenham today. All the self service tills were down due to an I.T fault, leaving 4 traditional tills open, which took an half an hour of queuing to use 😒

Back
Top Bottom