Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

Okay. Parking in the Brixton Lidl car park.

I think I remember noticing that the sign said I could park there an hour.

I bought a few things, and returned to my car. I was held up in the car park, as were several other cars, by inept cackhanded delivery drivers trying to turn, and then offloading at the front.

This morning I've received a parking fine, saying that I've outstayed my 10 minutes allowed parking. A quick squint online says they are lenient about this newly introduced (but, I don't think, signed) new ten minute allowance if you've bought stuff in the shop.

So the sign was wrong, I did buy in the shop, and I was delayed by their own delivery drivers.

What happens if I just ignore this notice? Or do I have to go to the bother of writing letters in green ink etc?
Did they not ask for your car reg at the till? Then you're entitled to 90 minutes free parking.

The rules have changed, and the ticket is enforceable. If you still have your receipt, appeal enclosing a copy and they should cancel it straight away.

Lidl have angle grinders for £35.

Can someone tell me why I need an angle grinder, please? I really want one but I'm having trouble justifying it.
Cutting metal things, or brick/tile things. Smoothing off bits you don't want from metal/bricks. A angle grinder is pretty useful as power tools go. It depends what you need doing though I guess

Can someone tell me why I need an angle grinder, please? I really want one but I'm having trouble justifying it.

Just built my new kitchen and I used my the £20 angle grinder from lidl loads. Cutting brackets, bits of wood, pipes, screws and bolts.

Cutting metal things, or brick/tile things. Smoothing off bits you don't want from metal/bricks. A angle grinder is pretty useful as power tools go. It depends what you need doing though I guess
I can cut tiles with it? That could be useful.

I borrowed one once to shorten some legs on a table and was very impressed with all the sparks. This is why I want one really. For the sparks.

Aldi are now selling almond milk, a quid a carton and it's nicer than most of the more expensive brand names, with the Aldi one you can actually taste the almonds in it!

Aldi are now selling almond milk, a quid a carton and it's nicer than most of the more expensive brand names, with the Aldi one you can actually taste the almonds in it!
Ooh, what's the ingredients list like? The Alpro one has lots of bad stuff, so I have to go to Waitrose to get the expensive organic Provamel one which just has almonds and agave syrup in it.

eta it's also the only one which froths enough for my cappucchino....

Ooh, what's the ingredients list like? The Alpro one has lots of bad stuff, so I have to go to Waitrose to get the expensive organic Provamel one which just has almonds and agave syrup in it.

eta it's also the only one which froths enough for my cappucchino....
very similar ingredients list to Alpro I'm afraid, so probably not very good for frothing.

Did they not ask for your car reg at the till? Then you're entitled to 90 minutes free parking.

The rules have changed, and the ticket is enforceable. If you still have your receipt, appeal enclosing a copy and they should cancel it straight away.

No, they didn't.

Of course I don't have my receipt....

And now I'm trying to remember if I paid cash or with a card.

Oh how utterly fucking tedious.

Are you sure? The ticket is enforceable?

Shit.

Shit.
Not sure what was meant by the original comment, but these tickets are still no more than a civil contract between the store and you. It costs a lot to enforce it (they have to take you to court, and there's no guarantee they'll win), so they rely on threats and weasel wording to make it sound more official. Personally, that is what I find the scummiest aspect of all this - the deception.

No, they didn't.

Of course I don't have my receipt....

And now I'm trying to remember if I paid cash or with a card.

Oh how utterly fucking tedious.

Shit.

I would call them and say that the till person didn't ask for you car registration and see what they say. If you paid by card that would help as you will have a record of your purchase.

I bought an angle grinder from Lidl a year ago. I almost used it for the first time last week. But then I found a piece of brick that was the right size anyway.

But...I have an angle grinder. :cool:

I bought 2 solar LED globe garden lights that change colour last week from Lidl. £3.99 each and they are fantastic so I went back yesterday but none to be had. Yesterday's purchase was x2 tubs of Baileys Hagan Daz ice cream at £2.50 been ages since I saw any, ice cream sandwiches , box of rocket lollies and mixed box of lollies!

They had white port today, friendofdorothy. Quite pricey though at £15 a bottle.

If you like tawny port, there was a vintage one half price. Worth a punt for a tenner I'd say.

Aldi specially selected salted caramel ice creams onna stick. *drool*. Lidl Eradamous (sp?) wholemeal oat and thyme honey biscuits. Equally droolsome.

Bloody hell.
Aldi had none of their well-balanced "4 serving" salads today so I will have to assemble my own.
I hope it's only temporary.

I know it was embarassing all that plastic packaging but they were such a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom