Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

Bought a kumquat tree in Aldi today. Not particularly cheap but I love kumquats and they're hard to find here. Hopefully I'll manage to not kill it.
Have a look at the label, a lot of them say "for decoration only".

I bought gardening shoes and a plant pot stand in Lidl yesterday.

Have a look at the label, a lot of them say "for decoration only".
Didn't say that though they had various ornamental citruses as well. It appears to be a Nagami Kumquat tree which is the type that is usually eaten though ornamental citruses are generally edible too (kumquats are kind of an acquired taste anyway). I'd been wanting one for a while anyway and had read up about it.

Didn't say that though they had various ornamental citruses as well. It appears to be a Nagami Kumquat tree which is the type that is usually eaten though ornamental citruses are generally edible too (kumquats are kind of an acquired taste anyway). I'd been wanting one for a while anyway and had read up about it.
They had small orange trees in Lidl yesterday, but the label had a knife & fork crossed out, which I interpreted as 'you can't eat this'.

I bought one of these for scrubbing out weeds between paving slabs - £4.99.

270674_07_f.jpg

They had small orange trees in Lidl yesterday, but the label had a knife & fork crossed out, which I interpreted as 'you can't eat this'.
Ornamental oranges are not particularly pleasant to eat but they're not poisonous (I think you can make jam from them). Kumquats are rarely eaten in the UK but are popular in Asia. You eat the skin and leave the pulp and seeds. They're crunchy and a bit sour and are a bit of an acquired taste. They are a very cold hardy plant though and should do quite well here.

Aldi were also selling Calamondin as an ornamental though it's the main citrus crop of the Philippines where it's used as a cooking condiment. Also makes good marmalade apparently. Lots of ornamental citruses have culinary uses even if they don't turn out standard oranges. Bergamot is often grown as an ornamental but it's also the flavouring in Earl Gray tea.

Extendable loppers are good value from Lidl's gardening week. £7.99 & I am still using the ones from 3 years ago!

Got my easter stash yesterday and got some nice nougat bars , one with exotic fruit, chocolate and one with nuts. Got some ricotta and walnut pesto all from lidl. They do great kids books, got a book which doubles into a pirate ship for 7 quid.

Any Aldi or Lidl wine recommendations?! Specifically dry whites preferably riesling

Any Aldi or Lidl wine recommendations?! Specifically dry whites preferably riesling
Can't speak for the dry whites particularly (though if they still do the Cimarosa Pedro Jiminez ("Pete James"), that's rather nice - slightly sherry-like).

Reds-wise, I'm really rather impressed with the value on their Chianti, at £4, and the Barolo, at a tenner, isn't a bad bargain, though a long way short of a really pukka Barolo.

Can't speak for the dry whites particularly (though if they still do the Cimarosa Pedro Jiminez ("Pete James"), that's rather nice - slightly sherry-like).

Reds-wise, I'm really rather impressed with the value on their Chianti, at £4, and the Barolo, at a tenner, isn't a bad bargain, though a long way short of a really pukka Barolo.
Is this Aldi or Lidl?

J Ed I'm not much of a Riesling drinker myself, although Aldi have one in their Exquisite Collection, which I rate as always worth giving a try. I really like their Gavi and Bordeaux Sauvignon Blanc, both from that range. I notice they've got a Sancerre in for £11.99, pretty decent for that wine, will have to give it a try and report back.

Does anyone know how to find out in advance when some of the special themed weeks are planned? I am craving calamari which only appears with the Iberian stuff.

Does anyone know how to find out in advance when some of the special themed weeks are planned? I am craving calamari which only appears with the Iberian stuff.

Don't know about Lidl, but for Aldi you can sign up for their special buys email alerts.

Lidl was doing spanish stuff last week - notice still have some of the tapas stuff in the stockwell Lidl today but I don't know if they have calamari.

Pisses me off slightly when they don't have the same thing in stock when you later want to buy some more but instead there is another similar item you can buy again quite a good deal but not the same as when you bought before.

Pisses me off slightly when they don't have the same thing in stock when you later want to buy some more but instead there is another similar item you can buy again quite a good deal but not the same as when you bought before.
That is why they try and make you go every week. Their really good deals have normally gone by the weekend. Get down there on Thursday & if you like it get down there on Friday too.

Bought my LED mad partner X2 globe garden balls from Lidl that change I think 4 colours as a b'day gift. Please don't tell him I would have bought them anyway. They do look fab , we have just been out gazing at them £3.99 each.

Okay. Parking in the Brixton Lidl car park.

I think I remember noticing that the sign said I could park there an hour.

I bought a few things, and returned to my car. I was held up in the car park, as were several other cars, by inept cackhanded delivery drivers trying to turn, and then offloading at the front.

This morning I've received a parking fine, saying that I've outstayed my 10 minutes allowed parking. A quick squint online says they are lenient about this newly introduced (but, I don't think, signed) new ten minute allowance if you've bought stuff in the shop.

So the sign was wrong, I did buy in the shop, and I was delayed by their own delivery drivers.

What happens if I just ignore this notice? Or do I have to go to the bother of writing letters in green ink etc?

Okay. Parking in the Brixton Lidl car park.

I think I remember noticing that the sign said I could park there an hour.

I bought a few things, and returned to my car. I was held up in the car park, as were several other cars, by inept cackhanded delivery drivers trying to turn, and then offloading at the front.

This morning I've received a parking fine, saying that I've outstayed my 10 minutes allowed parking. A quick squint online says they are lenient about this newly introduced (but, I don't think, signed) new ten minute allowance if you've bought stuff in the shop.

So the sign was wrong, I did buy in the shop, and I was delayed by their own delivery drivers.

What happens if I just ignore this notice? Or do I have to go to the bother of writing letters in green ink etc?
My stepson regularly misuses Lidl's carpark :D, and completely ignores the stream of threatening letters that result.

I've just had one (from a different shop), which I'm choosing not to ignore, as they made a stupid technical error (not telling me I'd overstayed before whacking me with a £160 "charge"), and because I like the occasional punchup.

So yes - ignore. Treat it as an interesting lesson in misdirection and deceit: they will do everything to try to make you think that it's a criminal matter and that your life will be ruined if you don't capitulate.

Back
Top Bottom