Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

Did the annual German Christmas sugar binge in Lidl last weekend and hauled in the usual loads of nougat, nut brittle, lebkuchen and biccies. Regret to say that the big boxes of chocolate-covered gingerbread pretzels, bells & stars are not that nice - the chocolate's all weird and waxy and tasteless. Full of palm oil as well.

The simple nut brittle bars OTOH are fucking delicious. <books into dentist early in 2016>

Did the annual German Christmas sugar binge in Lidl last weekend and hauled in the usual loads of nougat, nut brittle, lebkuchen and biccies. Regret to say that the big boxes of chocolate-covered gingerbread pretzels, bells & stars are not that nice - the chocolate's all weird and waxy and tasteless. Full of palm oil as well.

The simple nut brittle bars OTOH are fucking delicious. <books into dentist early in 2016>

The Deluxe branded nougat is fucking luvverly!!!

Lidl now doing fresh new zealand lamb legs for £5.99 kg. Missus got a few from bout £9.50 to £14 summit. Now in the freezer.Well cheap.
got one! noticed there were really cheap roasting beef and pork too. But I couldn't carry anymore, so I hope they are still there when I go back.

They have smoked trout £5ish for 300g which is really lovely.

I was doing so well, the sloe gin sat there watching me for a week.

Got to Aldi yesterday for another and as I knew they would they're all gone. :(

Just cracked open the last of the '14 Rösti - good year, has benefitted from being laid down for 12 months - flavour has developed and rounded in the tin

Now all I've got to do is see if Aldi have got any more or if I've missed it

Have any kitty people been able to get Opticat biscuits, the ones in the foil bags, from their local Lidl? Ours haven't had any in for the last six weeks.

I've yet to see any mini stollen, they are always sold out. I blame you lot.

i've not managed to get any either - but frankly this is a good thing. I think they are largely responsible for my annual Christmas weight gain.

That said, the 3 tins of chilli almonds I got lasted no time at all either. I just love them! I'm just going to stay away from lidl now at Christmas. (although I really love its moisturiser and had to nip in for some)

It's always hit and miss in the Lidls round here.

The boxes that they're batched in seem to have the same number of kitten, adult and sterilised bags in them. That's bad marketing as the demand would surely be greater for the biscuits formulated for sterilised cats. :confused: Our cats have got so used to them that they're turning their snouts up at any replacement bikkies that we give them.

The boxes that they're batched in seem to have the same number of kitten, adult and sterilised bags in them. That's bad marketing as the demand would surely be greater for the biscuits formulated for sterilised cats. :confused: Our cats have got so used to them that they're turning their snouts up at any replacement bikkies that we give them.
My two cats that moved in with us from next door had been fed on Costco's own brand biscuits. Once the neighbour realised they had moved in with us she brought round what was left of an 11.34kilo sack. The cats were so excited they tried to climb into it :eek:
I can't always get it because I rely on someone with a Costco card picking it up for me when they go so I now but 2 sacks at a time. £16 a sack or thereabouts. All three cats love it :)
Our cats go through a huge amount of whiskers sachets too
I know I shouldn't be promoting Costo cat food on my Lidl and Aldi thread :D

Are they saying it's fresh? I don't see how it can be if it's come from New Zealand :confused:
Using the word fresh in the same sentence as New Zealand lamb is a bit iffy to say the least,when you consider that the meat can take up to 6 weeks to get here at almost freezing temperatures in a container ship.

Are they saying it's fresh? I don't see how it can be if it's come from New Zealand :confused:

According to my (former butcher) dad, it means that the meat was butchered and quick-frozen "at the farm" (usually using CO2) within a couple of hours of slaughter, and kept at "deep chill" temperature during shipping. It's a cheeky use of "fresh", but not illegal. My dad rates Lidl's meat offerings quite highly. He won't buy pre-packaged meat from most other supermarkets.

According to my (former butcher) dad, it means that the meat was butchered and quick-frozen "at the farm" (usually using CO2) within a couple of hours of slaughter, and kept at "deep chill" temperature during shipping. It's a cheeky use of "fresh", but not illegal. My dad rates Lidl's meat offerings quite highly. He won't buy pre-packaged meat from most other supermarkets.
Thanks. That's worth knowing :)
Mmmm, lamb :D

stainless steel 600w stick blender with detachable gubbins for the DW ....£11.99 easy stocking filla

treated myself to a 35w wifi streaming multiroom speaker for £99 .... its been looking at me on the last few shopping runs ......runs off an google app ....remarkably easy set up .....

streaming-speaker-30w_02.png

had been thinking about a soundbar ..then seen this ...better for the bedroom ...pretty good sound ......only listened to lbc radio at the mo ....try out a memory stick with some music later to check out de base

baileys clone only £3.75 a bottle (70cl ) buggered if I can tell the diff in the mix

maple bacon and strong cheddar quiche £1.99 not really a quichey person ..but I'd have this again

Lidl now doing fresh new zealand lamb legs for £5.99 kg. Missus got a few from bout £9.50 to £14 summit. Now in the freezer.Well cheap.
Only got one - but it was lovely. We roasted it and have had 2 meals for the two of us from it. I've sliced /cut it up and put it in portions in freezer - enough for at least 4 more meals for us both plus bone and bits for soup. Not bad for £9.50ish. Bet there won't be any more when I go back.

Only got one - but it was lovely. We roasted it and have had 2 meals for the two of us from it. I've sliced /cut it up and put it in portions in freezer - enough for at least 4 more meals for us both plus bone and bits for soup. Not bad for £9.50ish. Bet there won't be any more when I go back.

I looked last Thurs and there wasn't. Well, there was big old lamb legs but none for half price. :( Think Lidl deals run Thurs - Wed going by their website, which'll explain why.

Back
Top Bottom