Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

Being someone who eats mainly freshly cooked, unprocessed 'clean' food I can see plenty of reasons to mock Lidl.

I don't shop in Lidl cos there are none within walking/public transport distance but I prefer to buy vegetables in Aldi to Tesco or Sainsbury's - for your money you get about four times more mushrooms than you do in Tesco, same with potatoes, cabbage and other things

I have never had any cause to complain about fruit either. The chocolate and biscuits are really nice and their knock off version of Stella tastes just as good as the stuff you buy anywhere else.

Also wtf is 'clean' food?

. . . I bought a tin of the postato rosti stuff for the first time today aftr all the recommendations on here. Is it really as simple as just pour a big lump in the frying pan and flip it halfway? Add some chopped parsley maybe?

It really is as simple as that

BUT

It's a BIG tin and depending on how many you're cooking for and how hungry you are one tin can go a long, long way - I got, from memory 5(?) breakfasts out of one tin and there was probably another 2 in the tin before a week in the fridge saw the potato go a bit funny and I've eaten 6 year past BBE soup but I wasn't prepared to give this another "go"

The rosti itself is quite firm, so I just scraped / flaked off from the open tin straight into a frying pan about 1" from the top of the can - if you do this rather than scooping out a big lump it makes it a bit easier to cook

A friend of ours bought the £39.99 Serrano ham. I'm glad we didn't. I have been considering getting some of the sparkling sauvignon from aldi, if it's there when I go I'll definitely get some.
I like giving visitors sparkling wine at christmas and that sound good yet cheap. A winner :D
The ham is fine, for what you get. It's still going to be nicer off the bone at Christmas than the equivalent few dozen packages of pre packed Serrano.

If you were expecting 30 month hung pata negra for £40, that's a bit delusional. My Spanish mate reckons it much the same as you'd normally buy in Spain for everyday stuff. Albeit more expensive, but not as much of a markup as the nice stuff.

The ham is fine, for what you get. It's still going to be nicer off the bone at Christmas than the equivalent few dozen packages of pre packed Serrano.

If you were expecting 30 month hung pata negra for £40, that's a bit delusional. My Spanish mate reckons it much the same as you'd normally buy in Spain for everyday stuff. Albeit more expensive, but not as much of a markup as the nice stuff.
I wasn't expecting anything :) I chose not to buy it.

Paris Lidl was GREAT!
I got a MontD'or and a Tête de Moine (which I since found is available in the UK too apparently)
mont-dor.jpg

girolle.jpg

All my local Aldi has is seriously unripe Camembert :(
I'm struggling to work up any real enthusiasm for deviating from my default vegan diet at the moment.
I may see if my local deli can tempt me - I'll probably make a special trip to Waitrose at some point - plus I'll probably visit my local Lidl because part of my bike fell off near there in the dark on Monday.

Meanwhile, I'm decidedly unsure about Aldi's "Christmas chutney" - first tentative taste suggested a cross between mincemeat and Christmas tree ...

Last edited:
Lidl have sea monkeys. :cool: Labelled as 'mysterious underwater creatures' or something. Didn't buy any but was very tempted.

Also got a bottle of Lidl's £19.99 single malt. Will report on quality later.

All my local Aldi has is seriously unripe Camembert :(
I'm struggling to work up any real enthusiasm for deviating from my default vegan diet at the moment.
I may see if my local deli can tempt me - I'll probably make a special trip to Waitrose at some point - plus I'll probably visit my local Lidl because part of my bike fell off near there in the dark on Monday.

Meanwhile, I'm decidedly unsure about Aldi's "Christmas chutney" - first tentative taste suggested a cross between mincemeat and Christmas tree ...

Their £1 camembert is really not bad if you leave it a couple of weeks. Not amazing, but def better than crappy brie and it's only a quid.

Public service announcement: Please don't buy the Tete de Moine. AKA The cheesy wheel of death. It sits in the fridge on it's wheel, looking both cheesy and fun, and every time you open the fridge you have to have a go on the turny handle.
Now you've made me want one and I don't even eat cheese :mad:
but I could given enough temptation

I bought a big Genoa from Lidl or Aldi, I can't remember which. I bought it just incase someone wanted fruitcake to eat with cheese as I didn't buy a christmas cake this year.
Jesus, I can't stop eating it. It's only 2 days since I opened it and it's nearly all gone. Every time I see it I have to have another piece. It's bloody delicious :oops:

Lidl's upcoming deal is on fitness stuff in case any of us have overindulged over the festive period...but I know if I go to my local Lidl I will just end up buying all the tasty treats in the bakery section rather than any exercise things. :rolleyes:

Goodness, I don't k ow if anyone has mentioned these but the deluxe lidl chocolate covered coconut is amazing. It's whole pieces, not smooshed sweetened grated bits. Whole pieces that make that lovely feeling when you bite it.

I'm on the hunt for more tomorrow

*sizeofahouse*

Aldis has been rubbish since Christmas/new year, their fruit and veg displays are often missing basic stuff, just come back, no leeks, iceberg lettuce, beef burgers,breaded chicken breasts or salad cream.
It seems they are concentrating on offloading the festive stuff?

Streatham Lidl yesterday: No kidney beans, butterbeans, chickpeas, baked beans, or tinned tomatoes. :rolleyes:

Goodness, I don't k ow if anyone has mentioned these but the deluxe lidl chocolate covered coconut is amazing. It's whole pieces, not smooshed sweetened grated bits. Whole pieces that make that lovely feeling when you bite it.

I'm on the hunt for more tomorrow

*sizeofahouse*
Oh. I might have to try that :hmm: (i'm repeating the 'at least it's not stollen' mantra in my head)
Is it dark or milk chocolate?

Last edited:
Aldis has been rubbish since Christmas/new year, their fruit and veg displays are often missing basic stuff, just come back, no leeks, iceberg lettuce, beef burgers,breaded chicken breasts or salad cream.
It seems they are concentrating on offloading the festive stuff?
All the shops are a bolt like that tbf. I expect normal deliveries will resume on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom