Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

The boots are a hit :)

I bought the thermals and despite me being pregnant there is no way I could fit my size 20 body into the 18/20 ones :eek: had to go back
Glad to hear that the boots fit and were liked.

Sorry about the thermals, IME the tops bend to fit more reliably than the bottoms. A few years ago, I bought a pair of size 20 Lidl jeans, but couldn't fasten the bastards before hitting a size 16 - ridiculous.

BTW this isn't about vanity sizing - I know my European sizes, and even their leggings seem to be one size smaller than labelled. :(

Dragged my pregnant wife to Aldi even though Lidl was on our route and they didn't have the backpacks. :mad: And because mrs maomao had brought her full range of disapproving looks with her there was no chance of stollen or booze either. :( There's talk of an expedition to a larger Aldi tomorrow or Saturday but it's forecast to piss down for the next two days and then I'm back at work so unlikely to happen.

I forgot to buy Glamour in Lidl today but that turned out to be a blessing in disguise as it will be on offer on 15th and 16th of November at £1.99!!!!

*collective gasp :D

It was briefly sunny this morning so we went to the big Aldi which turns out to be not that far after all, a pleasant walk through the park in fact. Got a backpack and it looks very good and sturdy, not shoddy at all. Also managed to grab an extra pound of their excellent Colombian coffee beans.

They also had halogen ovens and Russell Hobbs breadmakers for £29.99! Breadmakers may be a local deal though as they'd been marked down by hand. I've already got the exact same breadmaker (it was a present but I believe it cost about 60 quid) but if I had any room left in my kitchen I would have got a halogen oven.

Gonna have to go to Aldi's today rather than Lidls :(. so might have a look at these backpacks. I've got an even bigger downer with Aldi's now I've realised you can't pinch a big veg box to take your shopping home in

Gonna have to go to Aldi's today rather than Lidls :(. so might have a look at these backpacks. I've got an even bigger downer with Aldi's now I've realised you can't pinch a big veg box to take your shopping home in
Since when? I still can in my aldi's

I love the crusti croc range! I've moved from near a lidl to near an aldi and whilst I prefer aldi I do miss that pesky crocodile!

Aldi's are doing a 17 ltr rucksack/backpack for 6 quid and a 300ml can of fabric waterproofer for £1.50 from tomorrow.:)

thanks for the alert, picked some up this evening.

well, 4 cans. to go along with the secondhand orange vango that arrived earlier in the week.

i'm eyeing up the ceramic frying pans arriving next week

thanks for the alert, picked some up this evening.

well, 4 cans. to go along with the secondhand orange vango that arrived earlier in the week.

My lidl had three size of ceramic frying pan this week - liked the bigg'un, am new to lidl and my procrastination could be my downfall if offers run out pronto. Did buy a bottle of jeeves though on the recommendation of this thread.....lidl's version of pimms :)

IME the ceramic coating wears out after 6-12 months and they don't deal very well with high temperatures. The major advantage is that the lining is white though so you can see when they're properly clean. I think black non-stick linings deteriorate mainly because it's easy to miss a little spot which ends up growing.

I was going to put this in the "Worse than Hitler" thread but as it's directly linked to the Aldi and Lidl check outs and this is an Aldi and Lidl thread here's probably more appropriate

And it's the subject of the checkouts at both of these supermarket chains - the packaging make the barcode prominent so that the check out person can blast through the scanning process as an alarming rate - none of this looking for a barcode, trying to flatten the barcode out and then repeatedly waving it in front of the barcode scanner - just a simple Bang bang bang bang bang and your scanning is done in - they do this for a reason to get more people through the checkout. It's not like the other UK supermarkets where you load up or pack your bags as you go along - they offer a desk behind the till for that - so simply put your shopping in your shopping trolley and then sort out after you've paid

I've got wise to this quick fire check out and bought the massive bags they sell. I load the conveyer belt so I have all the tins and heavy things first and then lighter more delicate things. I then use pegs to hold the bags open in the trolley so I can dump all the shopping in quickly. If I need another bag, it's only for a small amount of light things.

Basically I've turned into my Nana. :facepalm::thumbs:

Same here ....

Blue IKEA bag in the trolley .....heavy stuff added to the front of the conveyor ,crushables to the back ,so that they end upon top........I don't always go to the empty belt either....2 or 3 customers in front means that I have enough time to fully unload before going through the till ..

....I love racing the cashier ...with "come on " ....It amuses me ......

Straight lift from trolley to car to kitchen ....job done ....Lidls pavlovian till processing has worked on me ....all it needs is a starter bell

Same here ....

Blue IKEA bag in the trolley .....heavy stuff added to the front of the conveyor ,crushables to the back ,so that they end upon top........I don't always go to the empty belt either....2 or 3 customers in front means that I have enough time to fully unload before going through the till ..

Straight lift from trolley to car to kitchen ....job done ....Lidls pavlovian till processing has worked on me ....all it needs is a starter bell

3D Tetris innit.

I've got wise to this quick fire check out and bought the massive bags they sell. I load the conveyer belt so I have all the tins and heavy things first and then lighter more delicate things. I then use pegs to hold the bags open in the trolley so I can dump all the shopping in quickly. If I need another bag, it's only for a small amount of light things.

Basically I've turned into my Nana. :facepalm::thumbs:

Same here ....

I have absolutely no problems with you "packing" like this - it's the people who dither and dawdle and generally arse about packing and THEN <breathe> THEN - get their card out of their wallet or purse

Tell me, now many times have you been to a supermarket and the cashier has said to you "No, it's alright, you don't have to pay today - have this one on us"

NEVER - that's how many times

So why are you surprised when the last item has been rung through at a scary speed that that you've then got to pay for what you've bought and to pay for it you'll need

YOU'RE FUCKING DEBIT / CREDIT CARD

Really, is it that difficult

Probably should have gone on the "Hitler" thread with hindsight - sorry!!!

I have absolutely no problems with you "packing" like this - it's the people who dither and dawdle and generally arse about packing and THEN <breathe> THEN - get their card out of their wallet or purse

Tell me, now many times have you been to a supermarket and the cashier has said to you "No, it's alright, you don't have to pay today - have this one on us"

NEVER - that's how many times

So why are you surprised when the last item has been rung through at a scary speed that that you've then got to pay for what you've bought and to pay for it you'll need

YOU'RE FUCKING DEBIT / CREDIT CARD

Really, is it that difficult

Probably should have gone on the "Hitler" thread with hindsight - sorry!!!
I usually make sure I'm wearing something with a pouch pocket or delicately wedge my cards between my teeth whilst in the queue. It amazes me too how many people start the bag rummage after hearing their final total.

If you're rushing to get stuff in the trolley because it's a generation game type bloody race, you can't hold your purse/card at the same time. I'm less likely to have my purse ready in Aldi or Lidl than I am in other shops because of the fucking panic of trying to shove stuff in the trolley before they kill me in the face for being too slow.

Back
Top Bottom