Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

Innit. Made me properly cross this morning. I have filed an appeal and also fired off an email to Lidl Customer Services to complain.

mauvais had an excellent PDF which I've now lost of a parking fine like that that actually went to court. Always worth fighting.

Innit. Made me properly cross this morning. I have filed an appeal and also fired off an email to Lidl Customer Services to complain.

who runs the service? is it Europa parking? I had an argument with the guy in ours, when I parked in the Parent and baby space (I know) as I was dashing in and out, he said I couldn't and I said why? PnB are not legally enforceable, and he said that they are disabled/PnB and I said that they were not marked as disabled and that was the case then they needed to mark them as such, by the end of 5 minute discussion you could tell he just wanted me to fuck off and leave him be. :D

I have had problems with Europa parking when I was in Soton and they tried to do me for parking in a red bay and I won that one, they just try it on and hope you are too scared to argue with them.

Do check the parking situation in your local branch. The amount of free parking has just been reduced in Brixton's Lidl from 90 minutes to 60. I just got a penalty charge notice for overstaying by 10 minutes. :mad: I have no intention of paying and it will probably be cancelled on appeal, but an hour is not very long to park, shop, load and unload, return the trolley and leave. I appreciate they need to limit free parking there, but 90 minutes was perfectly doable, 60 minutes is not. My friend just got stung too. :mad:
Unlimited in the Lidls and Aldis around here.

Unlimited in the Lidls and Aldis around here.

You need to keep an eye on that one - The parking contractors for both Lidl and Aldi are well known for playing fast an loose with the parking conditions, even where they are set in the store/retail park's planning conditions. They have been particularly bad in the last year.

You need to keep an eye on that one - The parking contractors for both Lidl and Aldi are well known for playing fast an loose with the parking conditions, even where they are set in the store/retail park's planning conditions. They have been particularly bad in the last year.
Around here the only place that charges for parking is the bliddy hospital!

Do check the parking situation in your local branch. The amount of free parking has just been reduced in Brixton's Lidl from 90 minutes to 60. I just got a penalty charge notice for overstaying by 10 minutes. :mad: I have no intention of paying and it will probably be cancelled on appeal, but an hour is not very long to park, shop, load and unload, return the trolley and leave. I appreciate they need to limit free parking there, but 90 minutes was perfectly doable, 60 minutes is not. My friend just got stung too. :mad:

Parking in both Lidl and Aldi has been something of an issue in the last year or so - since they and their retail park operators started to use more aggressive private parking contractors (PPCs).

These tickets are pretty easy to dispose of with a little effort, so if you've not already done so, you and your friend should head over to the MSE Forum and have a look at the "Newbies Sticky" in the Parking Tickets subforum:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

This covers the current situation across the UK and outlines the various avenues to appeal, challenge or see them off via a complaint to the store operator. Don't even think on appealing based on the facts of your situation or any sense of reasonableness - it only very rarely works. Stick to the proven challenge points contained in the thread.

Read it carefully, then start your own thread for further help if you need - the success rate of MSE challenges at POPLA is exceptionally high. :)

You will also find some Lidl and Aldi - complaint threads and its fine to use info from them if you are going to complain to the retailer but you will see from the Aldi-Facebook threads that they have a particular stroppyness about handling customer complaints over parking but sometimes it is worth going at an individual manager - but get it in writing! Don't take info older than the last six months or so as reliable - The post-POFA situation in England and Wales is still evolving.

You can also go to the Pepipoo Forum for help, although they do tend to concentrate on legit/legal tickets rather than private contract invoices. Again you need to read the FAQ/Posting Guide and start your own thread in the private/non-regulated forum with all the info they ask for, otherwise you will get extremely short-shrift.

And if you are ticketed in Scotland or Northern Ireland - You simply ignore these tickets and the ever-more hysterical debt collector letters that follow. POFA 2012 was never enacted here and if you don't communicate with them, they can't identify the driver, so can't take you to court. :)

Last edited:
pogofish

Thanks for the info. A similar thing happened to my mate recently. She sent Athena a copy of her receipt and the charge was cancelled so I'm quite hopeful. I don't think they intend to fine legitimate customers, or so they say in customer services.

pogofish

Thanks for the info. A similar thing happened to my mate recently. She sent Athena a copy of her receipt and the charge was cancelled so I'm quite hopeful.

Good - Sometimes sending a receipt will work but we do still see people refused even after providing receipts, so there is some concern that maybe only a small number get through this way. Some PPCs also insist on a "minimum spend" - and will refuse appeals for sums less than thirty or sixty quid. :(

I don't think they intend to fine legitimate customers, or so they say in customer services.

They cannot fine anyone! - Private tickets are contractual charges. It is a criminal matter if they couch them in terms of penalties. Only Police, councils and a limited number of legally regulated bodies (eg train companies acting under bylaws) can issue fines.

Aye,Been caught out with that three times this year due to the complicated slavver around registering blue badges!

You mean Blue Badges that don't even apply on their property? That is another matter the forum above could help you with. BB abuse was one of the reasons they helped get one PPC heaved out of the carparks of a Northern health authority earlier this year. :)

.. things to avoid, chicken (all meat produce??) and veggies. Very not pleased with the 'roast' dripping in water (didn't even want to risk serving it up to kids!) and vegetables without a detectable flavour. What a waste of time and money.

Aldi's veggies are fine - except the salads ...
But then I mostly only buy Maris Piper spuds and sprouts.
We actually have a fruit stall at work.

I like the fresh tagliatelle in Lidl, and my British Italian friend at work rates the dried stuff that is made in Italy from durum wheat. I avoid most of the fresh meat, with the exception of the free range chicken. Hendo loves the mortadella. The Parma ham is good, and the deluxe deli meat.

I like the fresh tagliatelle in Lidl, and my British Italian friend at work rates the dried stuff that is made in Italy from durum wheat. I avoid most of the fresh meat, with the exception of the free range chicken. Hendo loves the mortadella. The Parma ham is good, and the deluxe deli meat.

They must be different brands sold then in the UK than Ireland, cos both the fresh AND dried are terrible (their dry 'tagliatelle' was very thin and also broken when cooked, with no firmness whatsoever). The fresh noodles were also really disappointing. They are made in Italy (I checked). Your mates must have tried different products, because no sane person would rate the ones in Dublin. Another problem, is they vaccum pack the stuffed pasta within an inch of its life - i cooked some mushroom filled fresh pasta the other day and when i took it out of its packaging it was all stuck together, then when i tried to break it gently before cooking, it actually broke apart.....and as the intact pieces were simmering, some burst apart.....terrible quality. The gnocci is good though.

They must be different brands sold then in the UK than Ireland, cos both the fresh AND dried are terrible (their dry 'tagliatelle' was very thin and also broken when cooked, with no firmness whatsoever). The fresh noodles were also really disappointing. They are made in Italy (I checked). Your mates must have tried different products, because no sane person would rate the ones in Dublin. Another problem, is they vaccum pack the stuffed pasta within an inch of its life - i cooked some mushroom filled fresh pasta the other day and when i took it out of its packaging it was all stuck together, then when i tried to break it gently before cooking, it actually broke apart.....and as the intact pieces were simmering, some burst apart.....terrible quality. The gnocci is good though.

As is their wine,as good as Asdas,but a couple of pounds cheaper,

Back
Top Bottom