Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

For some reason I bought a pack of miniature rums of the world in Lidl. Cost me about 6 quid.
This led to me being invited on a Ghanian stag party, eating Mexican food, getting a dance on a fire truck and ending up in an awesome club in town.
True story.

Attachments

• 50D9F12C-BD3A-4C3C-A8A8-D37FCDAAAAB7.jpeg
    50D9F12C-BD3A-4C3C-A8A8-D37FCDAAAAB7.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 25
We'd failed to get to Lidl over the last couple of days, so it was good when we were out elsewhere this evening realising that there was actually a Lidl opposite - snagged 3 bottles of retsina and some of the other groceries we needed.

A lot of their stuff has gone up in price quite substantially (their packs of caramel bars - like mini mars bars - used to be 40p a pack a couple of years ago but are now a whopping £1.05 - not an essential but still fucking annoying, and the Morrison's own brand equivalent are cheaper) which is a shame, but I did have a voucher for nuts so stocked up on cashews.

I'd have liked to get some of the sistema sarnie boxes that are on offer atm but we'd already spent enough - I might pop in to a more local branch next week and see if they have any left.

Recently bought their hot cloth cleanser for 3rd or 4th time - lovely scent and cleans your pores out effectively, much cheaper than fancier ones but texture and smell are just as good.

Reactions: izz
Big fan of their barista oat milk. It’s cheaper plus I even prefer it to Oatly. It’s even got added vitamins and calcium.
I've only just spotted this thread, but I definitely echo what Danny says.

Actually edit that; he was talking about Lidl, whereas I think Aldi's oat milk is better than the rest.

Oh yes, people who like that sort of thing like it a lot. It's just as "nice" as the Costco one, I'm told. I think it's vile and disgusting, of course.

Yeah my brain just does a "does not compute" thing with it!

Occasionally buy a carton of the stuff in winter but tbh making it fresh and putting vodka in it is another world in summer.
I've only made gazpacho once. I was cooking a European-themed community meal and this was the starter. Found a recipe and wrote a shopping list of ingredients, multiplying it to make enough for 50 people.

Went shopping for these ingredients, plus some for ratatouille and cous cous, came back home. It was at this point that I actually read the recipe and found out that I needed to peel about five kilos of tomatoes by blanching them in boiling water then putting them in cold, so their skin would split and then I could peel them.

I had envisioned just bunging ingredients into a blender in batches and then giving it all a good stir. Nope.

iirc, I think it took me at least an hour just to peel all the tomatoes.

I have never made gazpacho again since.

I've only made gazpacho once. I was cooking a European-themed community meal and this was the starter. Found a recipe and wrote a shopping list of ingredients, multiplying it to make enough for 50 people.

Went shopping for these ingredients, plus some for ratatouille and cous cous, came back home. It was at this point that I actually read the recipe and found out that I needed to peel about five kilos of tomatoes by blanching them in boiling water then putting them in cold, so their skin would split and then I could peel them.

I had envisioned just bunging ingredients into a blender in batches and then giving it all a good stir. Nope.

iirc, I think it took me at least an hour just to peel all the tomatoes.

I have never made gazpacho again since.
I hate those recipes that involved peeling tomatoes despite the videos that show them slipping off. In Portugal gazpacho the ingredients are just finally chopped and served as a side dish or something to dip bread in. Dont think the agrarian classes would have gone to all that bother for something they just ate in the fields when there was a tomato, cucumber and pepper glut.

I hate those recipes that involved peeling tomatoes despite the videos that show them slipping off. In Portugal gazpacho the ingredients are just finally chopped and served as a side dish or something to dip bread in. Dont think the agrarian classes would have gone to all that bother for something they just ate in the fields when there was a tomato, cucumber and pepper glut.

I've never peeled a tomato in my life and I am not about to start now.

It is filed alongside ironing under the heading "life's too short" and also the sub-heading "no-one will die"

I've never peeled a tomato in my life and I am not about to start now.

It is filed alongside ironing under the heading "life's too short" and also the sub-heading "no-one will die"
I bought a new iron three years ago and used it a couple of times, once doing a hem tape on a curtain ( until I discover Magic Lavadora which is a brill little shop that sews, washes, gets marks out of and drycleans things ) and sheets to impress some visitors. Then I bought a handheld steamer which is easier than ironing sheets and good for shirts on the rare occasion I dress up.

I bought a new iron three years ago and used it a couple of times, once doing a hem tape on a curtain ( until I discover Magic Lavadora which is a brill little shop that sews, washes, gets marks out of and drycleans things ) and sheets to impress some visitors. Then I bought a handheld steamer which is easier than ironing sheets and good for shirts on the rare occasion I dress up.

Yep irons are invaluable for sewing, tailoring, curtain making, t-shirt decal sticking, and many other arts and crafts.

I do none of the above (I mean I might if I had a sewing machine and then I might want an iron, but I don't have a sewing machine so it's academic. I try to buy clothes that will be ok to dry on a hanger and not need ironing)

And I do have a hand-held steam cleaner which I could use in some sort of as yet unimagined clothing-wrinkle based emergency.

Back
Top Bottom