Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Trial of Lucy Letby

I find it it incredibly strange that her parents were so involved in her employment- this can't be normal - appearing at her grievances etc
First thought was they were high up in nhs or SOMEWHERE with power and influence but everything I've read said they were normal working class parents who had never been to university.....
Weird. And surely infantilised her to an extent. They bought her house too.

Normally you’d have a union rep or perhaps a solicitor if it was more legally complicated. I don’t think it’s standard for parental intervention in the workplace.

You're missing the point. No, I don't think it's 'standard' and it is strange, but people are! And as Poot has said I don't think it's some wild card red flag that illustrates anything apart from it being weird, like people often are. I mean have you seen the odd tattoos threads, the weird estate agent photos thread, etc etc.? They're all a lot more odd than having over involved parents if you're a maybe socially inept and lonely only child.

You're missing the point. No, I don't think it's 'standard' and it is strange, but people are! And as Poot has said I don't think it's some wild card red flag that illustrates anything apart from it being weird, like people often are. I mean have you seen the odd tattoos threads, the weird estate agent photos thread, etc etc.? They're all a lot more odd than having over involved parents if you're a maybe socially inept and lonely only child.

Exactly. Some people go round their Mum and Dad’s for tea once a week, some people see their parents once a year at Christmas. Neither of these two options is weird, or right or wrong

You're missing the point. No, I don't think it's 'standard' and it is strange, but people are! And as Poot has said I don't think it's some wild card red flag that illustrates anything apart from it being weird, like people often are. I mean have you seen the odd tattoos threads, the weird estate agent photos thread, etc etc.? They're all a lot more odd than having over involved parents if you're an only child.
You can have anyone represent you legally speaking. So in that sense it isn’t odd to elect a parent to do so. But usually you’d want someone who is in the TU machinery. Perhaps she wasn’t a TU member or didn’t trust them. Fuck knows. It isn’t normal though whichever way we look at it.

You can have anyone represent you legally speaking. So in that sense it isn’t odd to elect a parent to do so. But usually you’d want someone who is in the TU machinery. Perhaps she wasn’t a TU member or didn’t trust them. Fuck knows. It isn’t normal though whichever way we look at it.
She murdered babies, that is not normal. Having a parent support and advise you at a disciplinary meeting might or might not,depending on the expertise and previous experience,in such matters of said parent, be a sensible thing to do. However, it doesn't, as a non-expert, strike me as an indication of an abnormal personality. As she had murdered babies, she might also have come to the conclusion that a Trade Union would not have been able to help her evade the consequences of her predicament, certainly in the longer term.

I think some of your posts are not normal, whichever way I look at them. That said, I doubt that you go around murdering people.

She murdered babies, that is not normal. Having a parent support and advise you at a disciplinary meeting might or might not,depending on the expertise and previous experience,in such matters of said parent, be a sensible thing to do. However, it doesn't, as a non-expert, strike me as an indication of an abnormal personality. As she had murdered babies, she might also have come to the conclusion that a Trade Union would not have been able to help her evade the consequences of her predicament, certainly in the longer term.

I think some of your posts are not normal, whichever way I look at them. That said, I doubt that you go around murdering people.
I didn’t say it was indicative of anything. It isn’t normal to be represented in the workplace by your parents though. Perhaps those, including yourself, who appear to be up in arms about it can provide examples of this happening. I have none.
You turn up to the school to deal with issues with your child. Not your adult daughter in a work place.

I didn’t say it was indicative of anything. It isn’t normal to be represented in the workplace by your parents though. Perhaps those, including yourself, who appear to be up in arms about it can provide examples of this happening. I have none.
You turn up to the school to deal with issues with your child. Not your adult daughter in a work place.
I remember going mental once when I was about 21 and had left a temp job. The assignment ended on the Friday, and then on Monday evening my mum rang me asking if I knew so-and-so. I recognised the name as a bloke I'd been friendly with at work but wasn't particularly close to and didn't know that well. Apparently, after I didn't turn up on the Monday, he'd looked up my details on the HR computer and found my mum's number as my emergency contact! (He wasn't even a manager, and it would be a gross abuse of power even if he had been). He asked her if I was OK as I hadn't come to work. I told her everything was fine and the assignment had just ended, and the agency would find me something else. She told me he'd given her his number to pass on to me, so naturally I rang him and gave him what for. His excuse was that he was worried I'd been sacked. I pointed out that I was an adult and that if I had been, I'd want my mum to hear it from me, not some busybody she'd never met! Also that my number was on the file, so why not ring me directly? Again, his excuse that it was cheaper to ring a landline and that he assumed I still lived at my mum's. I said "What, when she lives in Birmingham and I live in London? Pull the other one!" I told him to fuck off, and got a couple more weasly texts trying to justify himself but I ignored him and didn't hear from him again. But yeah, that's how it made me feel - like I was a naughty little girl and he was a teacher ringing my parent. Or worse, the class arsewipe tattling to her that I'd got detention for saying bugger. I've always detested being patronised like that, and never understand how some adults actually seem to enjoy it.

I remember going mental once when I was about 21 and had left a temp job. The assignment ended on the Friday, and then on Monday evening my mum rang me asking if I knew so-and-so. I recognised the name as a bloke I'd been friendly with at work but wasn't particularly close to and didn't know that well. Apparently, after I didn't turn up on the Monday, he'd looked up my details on the HR computer and found my mum's number as my emergency contact! (He wasn't even a manager, and it would be a gross abuse of power even if he had been). He asked her if I was OK as I hadn't come to work. I told her everything was fine and the assignment had just ended, and the agency would find me something else. She told me he'd given her his number to pass on to me, so naturally I rang him and gave him what for. His excuse was that he was worried I'd been sacked. I pointed out that I was an adult and that if I had been, I'd want my mum to hear it from me, not some busybody she'd never met! Also that my number was on the file, so why not ring me directly? Again, his excuse that it was cheaper to ring a landline and that he assumed I still lived at my mum's. I said "What, when she lives in Birmingham and I live in London? Pull the other one!" I told him to fuck off, and got a couple more weasly texts trying to justify himself but I ignored him and didn't hear from him again. But yeah, that's how it made me feel - like I was a naughty little girl and he was a teacher ringing my parent. Or worse, the class arsewipe tattling to her that I'd got detention for saying bugger. I've always detested being patronised like that, and never understand how some adults actually seem to enjoy it.
As a rep, my first issue would be that he’d breached GDPR by looking through your records and making unsolicited contact with people not concerned with your employment contract.
Besides that, it sounds fucking creepy.

I'm wondering how much of this is gendered, and whether any blokes have the same amount of anecdotes about this phenomenon that we have

As a rep, my first issue would be that he’d breached GDPR by looking through your records and making unsolicited contact with people not concerned with your employment contract.
Besides that, it sounds fucking creepy.
Yep. I made a complaint to that workplace, who said I should go through the agency - who promptly told me off for not talking to them about it first as that would have been the correct protocol. The consultant barked at me down the phone: "I'm not happy you called them! They must have felt really upset, and you've made the agency look bad." I pointed out that it was my first time temping and I hadn't been aware of this, and I wasn't happy that I was being treated worse for an honest mistake than this guy was for deliberately invading my privacy. Don't think he ever got punished.

Last edited:
Magnus McGinty I get what you're saying, but being accused of mass murder isn't normal, so I think it's hard to judge how a lot of parents would react to that. And presumably, if they were as protective as they apparently are, they'd be the ones most outraged by the accusation.

It's pretty difficult to judge what we'd do because it's difficult to imagine being accused of such a horrible thing, or to have a adult kid accused of such. It's extreme and people in extreme situations do things they wouldn't necessarily do otherwise innit.

I’m now thinking about what people would speculate about me if I did anything awful… :hmm:

E2A: such musings feel a bit “too soon” to be appropriate as a separate thread topic. But the fact I even considered it can be used for any future psychological profiling in the unlikely event I become publicly infamous. You’re welcome ;)
what is it you haven't done yet?

Actually I have plenty of Asian 20-30 year old patients (usually male) who come in with their parents (either one or both) for run of the mill primary care issues, even ones where you're like, 'Do you really want to be discussing this infront of them?' and their phone contact for results, appointments etc. is their mum's number and they're OK with that. I also had a Greek female friend of mine get diagnosed with cancer and the doctor tried to tell her mum before her, so sometimes think this stuff can be a bit culturally variable.

TBF having a parent present at a disciplinary meeting might well be deliberately intended to push the idea that the subject of the meeting has a vulnerable personality, rather than an abnormal one.

"Circumstantial Evidence".

For those who are still confused about the term "circumstantial evidence", the story about Andy Malkinson today makes it clear he was convicted on dodgy direct evidence: faulty eyewitness testimony, including two witnesses who had serial convictions for dishonesty.

The circumstantial evidence was ignored: the DNA of the unidentified man on the victim's clothing, and the absence of Malkinson's DNA on it.

I watched the BBC Panorama documentary which talks to many key participants incl. the parents. The local newspaper reporter summarises things very well as he must've spent much time on the story. There's a hole in the story though. After the consultants apologised to Letby after the external review what prompted the Trust to finally call the police? From how it was reported the Medical Director, lead nurse and mgt must've concluded that the external review found nothing so it was time to move forward. They must have felt they had followed the correct process so had to draw a line on it. It's not explained how or who changed their mind?

I thought it was after they found insulin poisoning the police were called?

ETA: I can't remember where I read it, but it was something like a doctor found an old blood test result for a baby that showed an insulin overdose, and unlike where she had administered milk or air, it clearly couldn't have been natural or accidental.

Last edited:
I thought it was after they found insulin poisoning the police were called?

ETA: I can't remember where I read it, but it was something like a doctor found an old blood test result for a baby that showed an insulin overdose, and unlike where she had administered milk or air, it clearly couldn't have been natural or accidental.
It was Dr Brearey who found what he called 'the smoking gun'.

ETA but the police investigation had been going for a year already.

Another nurse was arrested in May last year on suspicion of poisoning.
My son was in there as a newborn. I trusted the nurses totally and was happy to leave him in their care while I had a sleep or got some food.

It must be awful for parents in that situation now. You’d be terrified to leave your baby for a second.

Do we know if her parents were at that tribunal at her request or their insistence? Because one is odder than the other.

I think the situation , that led to the meeting, was so rare/odd/unbelievable, that whatever her parents did next was the least odd thing.

Lucy must have been vociferously proclaiming her innocence at home. Her parents must have been shell shocked at the allegations.

I can totally understand them wanting to be there in some capacity, if only to support their daughter who they believed was being wrongly accused. By that stage I doubt they trusted the process that had led to the investigation.

I don't think of myself as an over protective parent at all, but if my child was being accused of murder , I'd want to be there too.

Last edited:
I assume an NHS investigation can’t go to the levels that a police one can eg forensic searching of digital devices?
Sure but it missed the insulin level test which is crucial to one of the murders. That said, it took the police/CPS years before the hearing so it was very complex to devise a convincing prosecution.

I watched the BBC Panorama documentary which talks to many key participants incl. the parents. The local newspaper reporter summarises things very well as he must've spent much time on the story. There's a hole in the story though. After the consultants apologised to Letby after the external review what prompted the Trust to finally call the police? From how it was reported the Medical Director, lead nurse and mgt must've concluded that the external review found nothing so it was time to move forward. They must have felt they had followed the correct process so had to draw a line on it. It's not explained how or who changed their mind?

It's not explained other than by the description that the doctors did not back down. The consultant on Panorama is still an employee of the trust, and there'll be limits on what can be said publicly at this stage. It will come out in further investigation.

Its utterly horrendous.

Back
Top Bottom