Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Russian Aviation Industry

I imagine that Russia's gangster threat of 'those are nice surface-to-air missiles you're flooding Ukraine with, it would be a tragedy if one of them ended up in the wrong hands and brought down an airliner...' is hardly persuading airlines to fly into/over Russia...

What with the whole Russia shooting down an airliner thing.
Trouble is, captured stinger missiles etc. would be perfect for a false flag to incriminate Ukraine and western backers, so any airline will not want to be anywhere near the current firepit.

Thread title perhaps a little misleading, you seem to be talking specifically about the Airline/travel Industry.
Re: aviation industry as a whole, Russia still has a very large market for its Military aircraft, though appreciate that may change.
I wonder about the Space side?, is the west still reliant on Russian launch vehicles for its manned space flights to the ISS?, I know Western commercial Space flight is advancing fast but not sure its there yet.

Overall I think the Future of Russia's aviation industry outside of commercial travel depends on whether India and China change their relationships, Turkey is a wildcard as ever and I think will always play both sides

I imagine that Russia's gangster threat of 'those are nice surface-to-air missiles you're flooding Ukraine with, it would be a tragedy if one of them ended up in the wrong hands and brought down an airliner...' is hardly persuading airlines to fly into/over Russia...

What with the whole Russia shooting down an airliner thing.
You shoot down two civilian airliners murdering their passengers and crew. And somehow you’re the baddy…

Last edited:
Thread title perhaps a little misleading, you seem to be talking specifically about the Airline/travel Industry.
Re: aviation industry as a whole, Russia still has a very large market for its Military aircraft, though appreciate that may change.
I wonder about the Space side?, is the west still reliant on Russian launch vehicles for its manned space flights to the ISS?, I know Western commercial Space flight is advancing fast but not sure its there yet.

Overall I think the Future of Russia's aviation industry outside of commercial travel depends on whether India and China change their relationships, Turkey is a wildcard as ever and I think will always play both sides
I think the thread title is broad enough.

Reactions: LDC
The only other crewed vehicle flying is SpaceX's Dragon 2, which has already flown many people to the space station. Boeing's Starliner has had one uncrewed test flight which nearly failed. They're yet to return to flight. SpaceX easily has capacity to rotate all non-Russian crew to the ISS, but it's not great to only rely on one supplier.

The ISS does rely on the Russian segment, and Russian Progress cargo ships to re-boost the station's orbit, but this can be done by Northrup's Cygnus. Trouble is that it only flies on Atlas V, which is out of production and all remaining rockets booked or Antares, which uses Russian engines and the first stage is built in Ukraine. It could be modified to fly on SpaceX Falcon. There's not a tremendous rush; the orbit decays only slowly so there's time to come up with a fix.

Roscosmos posted this joke film about detaching the Russian modules and letting the rest burn up:

Last edited:
Just as an aside the Soviets spent much time and money investigating the possibility of steam-powered flight between the wars

It's not a completely crazy idea. At least one prototype was built and flown back in 1933: A Steam-Powered Airplane, Anyone? - FLYING Magazine

With modern materials science and design engineering, the potential performance envelope might be widened a bit. Probably not enough to compete militarily, but potentially good enough for freight and passenger work.

Is it really, or is this just your speculation?

Are you suggesting they'd be powered with coal?

I'm not claiming any expertise, just guessing based off what I know about the performance of steam engines versus other kinds of combustion engine. Steam engines seem like they would have a disadvantage in terms of power-to-weight distribution. This disadvantage may be ameliorated to some degree by the use of lighter modern materials.

Steam engines can be powered by anything that burns. They're combustion engines after all. It doesn't have to be coal. I believe that there are some Swiss mountain railways that use oil-burning steam engines. This oil need not be petrochemical in derivation.

I'm not claiming any expertise, just guessing based off what I know about the performance of steam engines versus other kinds of combustion engine. Steam engines seem like they would have a disadvantage in terms of power-to-weight distribution. This disadvantage may be ameliorated to some degree by the use of lighter modern materials.

Steam engines can be powered by anything that burns. They're combustion engines after all. It doesn't have to be coal. I believe that there are some Swiss mountain railways that use oil-burning steam engines. This oil need not be petrochemical in derivation.
I don't see how they have any advantage over other kinds of combustion engine unless they can use a fuel that the alternatives can't. A steam engine has to carry around the weight of all the water in addition to the actual fuel itself.

I don't see how they have any advantage over other kinds of combustion engine unless they can use a fuel that the alternatives can't. A steam engine has to carry around the weight of all the water in addition to the actual fuel itself.

I didn't mention steam having any advantages over other combustion engines. Rather the opposite.

I've emboldened the relevant part, in case you were having any difficulties.

Please actually read my posts, rather than engaging in your usual fucking tedious shit troll behaviour. Thanks very much.

I didn't mention steam having any advantages over other combustion engines. Rather the opposite.

I've emboldened the relevant part, in case you were having any difficulties.

Please actually read my posts, rather than engaging in your usual fucking tedious shit troll behaviour. Thanks very much.
I was responding to your original post which said they might be "good enough for freight and passenger work" which doesn't make any sense to me unless they are at least as good as alternatives.

I was responding to your original post which said they might be "good enough for freight and passenger work" which doesn't make any sense to me unless they are at least as good as alternatives.

What's good depends on context. I don't know why anyone in California was working on steam planes back in the 1930s, although apparently the Soviets were looking into the matter at roughly the same period, even though internal combustion engines were already a mature technology by that point. We don't see any steam powered planes in commercial service right now, for reasons that hopefully should be obvious. But the transition to a post-fossil fuels world seems likely to be one in which highly refined aviation fuel becomes cripplingly expensive, if not non-existent (barring of course developments such as widespread fusion power, which would allow for the relatively cheap synthesis of fuel). In which case fuel flexibility might become worth the loss in performance.

Question for those in the know: how many units of their fifth-gen SU-57 stealth fighter do the Russians actually have on operational service? I read somewhere it’s not more than four. I wonder if they’ve even dared to use any of them so far…

Question for those in the know: how many units of their fifth-gen SU-57 stealth fighter do the Russians actually have on operational service? I read somewhere it’s not more than four. I wonder if they’ve even dared to use any of them so far…
There are 296,000 of them. It's just that the stealth ability is so great that even they can't see more than 4.

#obviousjokeisobvious :D

Back
Top Bottom