Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Reform UK Party (latest nigel farage vehicle) is it to be laughed at or not

Oh. It’s JLPartners and more importantly, n=201. Move along, nothing to see.

Yes, it’s one poll and all the usual caveats apply. But, a) across Europe young people are actually voting for the populist right b) Farage is the most popular politician on Tik Tok/social media and his campaign team are focussed on youth and engagement and c) whilst the poll might be inconvenient for the ‘demography is destiny’ crowd, ‘moving along’ seems to be part of the reason why the populist right are making inroads everywhere.

I've seen a Reform voter in the wild saying they're 'speaking for the unheard'. Which unheard people, exactly?

I've seen a Reform voter in the wild saying they're 'speaking for the unheard'. Which unheard people, exactly?

The millions of people without political representation presumably.

Regardless of what we might think of Reform it's undeniable that:

1. There is a massive political vacuum to the left and right of the establishment parties.
2. The centre ground occupied by the establishment parties is in crisis - in the UK and across Europe. It has no narrative to explain what is happening and is reviled. As a result the space described in point 1 becomes more populated.
3. Sooner or later politicall vacuums are filled.

The millions of people without political representation presumably.

Regardless of what we might think of Reform it's undeniable that:

1. There is a massive political vacuum to the left and right of the establishment parties.
2. The centre ground occupied by the establishment parties is in crisis - in the UK and across Europe. It has no narrative to explain what is happening and is reviled. As a result the space described in point 1 becomes more populated.
3. Sooner or later politicall vacuums are filled.
and if uncontested by a pro working class left the vacuum becomes the right

They're not that much different from the Tories though. Just more mask-off racist.

What pro-working-class left parties are there? Galloway's lot?

I think reform would be far more of a threat if they pivot into the red brown stuff. Radical policies on housing protectionist economics. Drawing in disaffected would be left-wing voters. Maybe the next incarnation will.

Back
Top Bottom