Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The human rights act

Is the human rights act doing more harm to British justice and the British ecconomy,than it benefits us. As one of the most civilised countries in the world I think we are more than capable of having our own constitution or bill of rights. The human rights act not only undermines our own justice system, but has created a compensation culture that is costing the tax payer an absolute fortune in legal aid for both nationals & immigrants. People are constantly seeing the human rights of criminals & terrorists put before the victims of crime, & find the illogicality of it hard to understand as it so often flies in the face of common sense. These laws are made by people we don't know, didn't elect, & often have no experience in law. Furthermore they often come from countries who's human rights are questionable.

Examples?

It doesn't seem like you or thick jeff do either.

Thing is, look through my posts and if I make a claim, I tend to back it up with hard evidence, or produced said evidence when asked. You, you just shit your prejudices out and then fuck off. flicy, so far, has done much the same.

I thought it had been a while since XR75 had last appeared with his latest bit of fly-by shite.

Now where's Kenny Vermouth to make it a trio?

These laws are not made by people you don't know.. they are made by people who are employed by the MEP elected in your area.. if you don't know who he or she is then you are a twat!.. as is the same in the UK government all laws made by the EU have to voted in by the majority of MEP's

These laws are not made by people you don't know.. they are made by people who are employed by the MEP elected in your area.. if you don't know who he or she is then you are a twat!.. as is the same in the UK government all laws made by the EU have to voted in by the majority of MEP's

An MEP has even less power than a Labour backbencher. Even if the EP votes down a poolicy proposal by the Commission, it can still become EU law.

gosub - the 1689 Bill of Rights is one of the many documents & 'conventions' & 'traditions' that make up what small 'c' conservatives laughingly refer to as our 'unwritten constitution'. It's never been a 'safeguard' of anyone's right to do anything in law, only as long as parliament & the courts chooses to recognise them as such.

An MEP has even less power than a Labour backbencher. Even if the EP votes down a poolicy proposal by the Commission, it can still become EU law.

gosub - the 1689 Bill of Rights is one of the many documents & 'conventions' & 'traditions' that make up what small 'c' conservatives laughingly refer to as our 'unwritten constitution'. It's never been a 'safeguard' of anyone's right to do anything in law, only as long as parliament & the courts chooses to recognise them as such.

EP doesn't do policy, it purely does budgets.

Bill of Rights was not civil war (misremembered sorry) it was the velvet revolution to get rid of fucking Stewarts, the sop offered by William of Orange to show that he got it, ie Parliament was in charge. Its the safeguard against unaccountable dictatorship, was then is now, though to get aspergic has right of petition without fear of reprisal in it. Other than that we appear to be in agreement, though from the opposite ends of the philosophical spectrum. Your nation state (I think) is a top down affair with rights and responsibilities given to the populus like crumbs from a table. Mines bottom up and isn't particularly enamoured with the assumption of unaccountable decree. If I had a written constitution it would be written to establish the boundaries for the state, as is the US constitution.
eg Miranda rights: If "You have to remain silent" was the ascribed right, state would still have no problems tacking on the refusing to do so counting against you, as opposed to the 5th amendment.

Looking this up, found ECHR "Judges acknowledged that both men had faced compulsion to provide information, but threw out their claim that the right to remain silent and the right not to incriminate oneself are "absolute rights". ". V Weird for me didn't know about the case, have met one of the defendants

Your nation state (I think) is a top down affair with rights and responsibilities given to the populus like crumbs from a table. Mines bottom up and isn't particularly enamoured with the assumption of unaccountable decree. If I had a written constitution it would be written to establish the boundaries for the state, as is the US constitution.

Are we talknig about physical geography here, or our views on the UK?

Re: that example - I suspect that the wording of that judgement was a cover for 'Don't take the piss, you broke the law and were caught and are attempting to use HR legislation as a way out of it.' I think Liberty were barking up a very wrong tree there, but then I'm not a big fan of people who speed, get caught, and they cry about it.

wtf?

Are you refering to the fact I now live in Scotland and that north is usually at the top of maps, coz that seems deliberately obtuse, particuarly as the words directly before the quote you took are "philisophical spectrum". The only thing I know about the Scotish legal system is not to assume it's the same as the English

In which case, aside from the immediate meaning of the top-down/bottom-up bit, I have no idea what that sentence means in the context of what we've been writing. What is 'my' nation state?

Is there any chance at all, of either the OP or XR75 telling us which bits of the Human Rights he doesn't like-- ??

the bill of rights gave us the right to be tooled up so basically that didn't last long :facepalm:
its been confused like health and safety law.
A lot of stuff that ended up in court under human rights was people being wankers being called on it and continued to be wankers even when they knew they lwould lose:(.

Back
Top Bottom