Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Home Office and UK government policy concerning asylum seekers/Rwanda deportations

I've been mulling over creating a thread specific to this issue for a while now because it's not just about the 'stupidity' of Patel is it? It's more than that. This government is very obviously specifically pandering to racists and the Home Office whilst it has some good people working in it could easily be seen as institutionally racist itself. The whole sordid spectacle of deporting asylum seekers to Rwanda is just the latest iteration of their attempts to to appeal to the lowest common denominator. If the government really wanted to address the issue of people smugglers they could provide legal safe routes for asylums seekers; it would close down the smuggling operations overnight. But of course they will not do this, they have absolutely zero intention of doing anything of the sort.

I'd like this to be a resource thread as well as a discussion and with this in mind, here's some links to organisations that are fighting the current situation in court (they lost yesterday but have been given the right of appeal and the hearing is on Monday):

also some latest news, the UN belatedly steps into the picture:

UN joins battle to stop Rwanda migrant flight
Hi teqniq, I am currently recruiting participants for a survey on this topic and would love to get some views from people actively engaged in this debate. As you are the admin for this group I wanted to ask if you allow surveys to be posted here? If you would like to check it out beforehand the link is here: ------- Thanks in advance. Steve.

*editor: link removed. Surveys are not permitted. You are welcome to join in with the discussion, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi teqniq, I am currently recruiting participants for a survey on this topic and would love to get some views from people actively engaged in this debate. As you are the admin for this group I wanted to ask if you allow surveys to be posted here? If you would like to check it out beforehand the link is here: ------- Thanks in advance. Steve.

*editor: link removed. Surveys are not permitted. You are welcome to join in with the discussion, however.
Lol. I am not an admin. I just started the thread. I am left wondering what your motives are.

I imagine there is a certain amount of mirth in the Rwandan Govt at the moment.
"If they ask for their £120M back are we giving it to them?"
"Fuck No, we've got and we're keeping it!"
I suspect nothing much is going to happen for a while not least until after the courts have ruled on the legality of all this. If they rule it's legal then they will start planning for a second (attempted) flight presumably (or maybe not) taking into account why so many were pulled off the first to prevent them escaping again.
If the courts rule it illegal then there will be lots of huffing and puffing and new laws will be pushed through Parliament to make it legal. In the end I don't think it matters to them if no-one ever gets deported so long as the Govt is seen to be trying.
The Govt wants to be seen to be trying, If it can blame any failures on lefty lawyers or the ECHR then all well and good so long as the public blames the ECHR or the lefty lawyers. They're not going to give up though there will be future attempts.

Lol. I am not an admin. I just started the thread. I am left wondering what your motives are.
Hi teqniq. Apologies, I'm new to these websites as I've mainly advertised on mainstream platforms, so I'm a bit unsure of the set-up! Sorry to spur any suspicion but my reason for posting is as I stated; I am aiming to recruit participants that are active in this debate, and by the looks of the feedback on the survey so far, I'm in the right place! Thanks to anyone that has completed it, the feedback has been really helpful!

Hi teqniq. Apologies, I'm new to these websites as I've mainly advertised on mainstream platforms, so I'm a bit unsure of the set-up! Sorry to spur any suspicion but my reason for posting is as I stated; I am aiming to recruit participants that are active in this debate, and by the looks of the feedback on the survey so far, I'm in the right place! Thanks to anyone that has completed it, the feedback has been really helpful!

But what do you think?

Long time since i remember waking up to see good news headlines :).

Also realised last night, i know somebody who used to work as a lawyer for the home office, she was desperate to leave for ages before she did a few months ago, said this lot had created the most toxic and dysfunctional work environment she'd ever been in.
Bet she's not the only lawyer who has buggered off leaving the government seriously out-lawyered by pretty much anyone who wants to take them on.
Yep, the Home Office also employed social workers who were prepared to take tainted money in order to carry out spurious age assessments (as children travelling alone is an area of huge contention at the Home Office. The wages were almost 3x the average social workers salary - around 90K per annum, to do this weaselling work. My daughter is vaguely connected to Doughty Street Chambers because she is involved in immigration assessments (and VERY anti Home-Office).

But what do you think?
Well, I do have to be impartial as I'm a researcher, but seeing as the survey link has been removed from the forum, I'll share my thoughts. When I first saw the Rwanda Deportation agreement I thought it was just shock and awe tactics by Boris to divert public attention away from PartyGate. But now it's actually being put into practice, I think it is extremely inhumane, financially irresponsible, and has pretty much no public support from either end of the political spectrum. The research indicates that a few of the main factors involved in people's attitudes towards asylum seekers, which influence government policy, are humanitarian concerns and economic concerns (I've attached an article for those that are interested), and this Rwanda agreement is an affront to both of these. So, I just can't imagine how the current government thought this would be a proactive step in tackling the migrant crisis by any stretch of the imagination.

Attachments

• Bansaketal2016.pdf
    723.7 KB · Views: 5
Well, I do have to be impartial as I'm a researcher,
Not only is this untrue it is also impossible. Rather than imagining the possibility of impartial social research it is much better to be clear about where you are coming at this from e.g. personal motivations, political/ethical presumptions and economic/career incentives.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice (PhD retired)

Well, I do have to be impartial as I'm a researcher, but seeing as the survey link has been removed from the forum, I'll share my thoughts. When I first saw the Rwanda Deportation agreement I thought it was just shock and awe tactics by Boris to divert public attention away from PartyGate. But now it's actually being put into practice, I think it is extremely inhumane, financially irresponsible, and has pretty much no public support from either end of the political spectrum. The research indicates that a few of the main factors involved in people's attitudes towards asylum seekers, which influence government policy, are humanitarian concerns and economic concerns (I've attached an article for those that are interested), and this Rwanda agreement is an affront to both of these. So, I just can't imagine how the current government thought this would be a proactive step in tackling the migrant crisis by any stretch of the imagination.
I'd suggest this has nothing to do with a 'solution' to the 'migrant crisis'. This narrative has developed over thirty years through the right-wing press and pandered to by the two main parties.

The only reasonable solution is to properly assess asylum seekers and to provide safe routes to application and travel. That would deal with the people smugglers straight away. But this is unacceptable to those who want less brown people in the UK. The current government has to be seen to be on the side of the bigots, nationalists and racists.

Partygate happened five minutes ago, the narrative is much longer. As others have said, this is about the dividing lines for the next election: Nationalists vs the woke mob, the European Court, etc.

Please take 5 minutes to read this thread. It gives a picture of policies enacted by the Home Office which are informing decisions by social services in local authorities:

Another instance where social work values are diluted and cheapened by government diktat. Chilling. But they have to work in that framework, don't have a choice.

Unless they've committed a crime of violence against another person and are being tagged as an alternative to incarceration, then what the fuck is this bullshit?
Well, yes. Often, asylum seekers are required to sign at the nearest UKVI office particularly if they've been previously held at an immigration detention centre but I would hope this particular bullshit would require a change in legislation? I realise with the current crop of arseholes in charge we are well into or even past the 'we can do what the fuck we like' territory bur even so....

Last edited:
This policy is never going to go away, whether or not many or indeed any flights happen is besides the point since it has never been about actual deportations.
I suspect this 2nd flight will probably not happen either but later ones might very well might.

Patel will be grilled by the home affairs select committee this Wednesday on Channel crossings, the lack of safe, legal passage to the UK and her Rwanda asylum plan. The government has spent significant sums trying to remove asylum seekers to east Africa, but has yet to deport a single person.

I hope to see her squirm.

Patel will be grilled by the home affairs select committee this Wednesday on Channel crossings, the lack of safe, legal passage to the UK and her Rwanda asylum plan. The government has spent significant sums trying to remove asylum seekers to east Africa, but has yet to deport a single person.

I hope to see her squirm.

How has the use of the Navy increased the number of boats crossing? The Guardian doesn't explicate the causal link.

Back
Top Bottom