Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Home Office and UK government policy concerning asylum seekers/Rwanda deportations

Yeah, it took a smoking ban in the pubs and stopping newsagents from selling cheeky singles to make a dent there.

Cross posted from the Patel thread in the albeit unlikely event that anyone misses it:

Well well well. They've tried to keep the revelations secret because they thought it could harm international relations with Rwanda. Yes, of course they did, nothing to do with a very controversial policy at all.

This is bullshit:

and here is why:

That's clearly a desperate appeal to the base that they are doing 'something' no matter what. As far as reality on the ground is concerned it makes no difference. They are obviously hoping that the message will get back "Don't come here you're not welcome" as if we've welcomed them with open arms so far. It hasn't before and it won't this time. No matter how they are treated when they get here, there is no actual way of stopping them trying to cross the Channel.

This is disappointing, although no doubt it'll go to appeal.

Government's Rwanda plan is lawful, High Court rules​

The Home Office has won a legal challenge against its policy to remove asylum seekers to Rwanda.
The decision has just been announced by judges in the High Court in London.
Stay with us as we bring you more updates.

I don't think there was ever much doubt it would be declared legal, even if it hadn't then with an 80+ majority and considerable public support then I don't doubt that legislation would be passed to make it legal. Any appeal against this is going to be a delaying tactic. A much more valid question is whether or not this is a pointless boondoggle that will achieve naff all beside squandering the odd hundred million quid. My money is on yes, I will be genuinely surprised if a year from now if the number of people sent to Rwanda is more than single figures or indeed any figure besides 0.

Last edited:
Dr Martin Luther King Jr said:
I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

UK Home Secretary said:
I would love to have a front page of The Telegraph with a plane taking off to Rwanda, that’s my dream

An analysis of the High Court's ruling from someone who seems to know what hey are talking about:

Yep definitely a boondoggle, roll up and watch your taxes being pissed up the wall.

But those eight people will just get put back in the queue for whenever this plane leaves. Braverman will 'look again' and come to the same decision. This government and the systems it has run into the ground are a shambles. I would be surprised if this ever happens and if it does I don't see this policy lasting. The whole thing is a cack handed shit show. How is it even meant to stop people smugglers? They won't care what happens to people they cast off into the channel, obviously. If people think this is a good scheme, as the government has to spin it (they can't go around saying that they also think rwanda is unsafe), then they are encouraging people to come here, and thus encouraging the traffickers. There is no part of this stupid plan that isn't transparently ridicoulous

Back
Top Bottom