Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The grand tory 'civil war' thread

brogdale

Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism
234a2ef3-dc3d-4ffc-b4e4-9495f9ca2738_zpscbor0gfz.png

Warm the cockles of your ideological heart and post up all the fun & games from the internecine conflict.
I suppose we can all look forward to Smith's commons resignation speech, if only for the look on the front-bench faces!

Cd3Hg7AW8AE1-2K.jpg-large_zpshwo3454t.jpg

Looks like the right hand does not know what the right is doing...

Stephen Crabb, the new Work and Pensions Secretary, spoke to Radio Pembrokeshire this morning.

In a short clip he said......we're still running a deficit that's too large for our nation but we are clear those cuts to personal independence payments, we wont be taking those forward."

U75's favourite libertarianloon joins the fray...

Baroness Altmann’s short time in Government has not been a happy one. Last July she had to deny that she was prejudging a Government consultation on pension tax relief, after attacking ideas floated by the Treasury. In September it emerged that she was a member of the Labour Party – an unusual position for a Conservative minister. For some months, Downing Street has reportedly been uncomfortable about her speaking publicly.But last night she eclipsed these rumbling issues with a jaw-dropping public statement about Iain Duncan Smith, her now former boss.
Ros Altmann should be sacked | Conservative Home

I thought Altmann's statement had the whiff of No.10/CCHQ about: part of a rearguard action to try to knife IDS and shore up the Government's (PM & Chancellor's) position. She's not been told off by No.10, so I assume they were more than happy for her to make that statement.

The image was at the top of the latest piece on 'ConservativeHome' by editor Paul Goodman...
Imagine for a moment that you are a Conservative MP in a marginal constituency. What would you think while staring drop-jawed, over the last few days, at open civil war within the Government? A resigning Iain Duncan Smith launches a hellfire missile at George Osborne. One of the Chancellor’s allies, Ros Altmann, takes a popgun shot back. Three fellow Ministers in the same department – Priti Patel, Justin Tomlinson and Shailesh Vara – turn their guns on her in return. Tory Parliamentarians pour onto Twitter to take sides and open fire. I can’t speak for you but I know what I would say – to my Association Chairman, to the Whips, to my spouse (or whatever), to whoever was willing to listen. Pardon my language, but it would be: “All this risks losing me my seat. Why can’t they all shut the f**k up?”
In which he calls for Gove to be made deputy PM.
Strange days.

Back
Top Bottom