Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The *FULL* cooked breakfast thread - back me up

We had breakfast of two rashers of back bacon, baked beans, two fried eggs, Bury black pud and toast - all dotted with freckles of HP Sauce.

It's like if that east London cereal cafe joined up with that east London 'museum' to offer a cross-branded cooked breakfast

Is it kidneys?
yes, delicious. I always think of Ulysses when eating kidneys:
Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liverslices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencods' roes. But most of all, he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine.
That breakfast cost around 70 pence.

On a vaguely similar note, I once bought a diced steak salad in Japan from a supermarket for breakfast. Despite not being able to read Japanese I recognised the word for beef. I then discovered upon eating it was a boiled calf's liver salad and it was not very nice at all.

I've just been reading about a hyperlocal cooked breakfast item from the Calder Valley, Dock Pudding - made from the leaves of the bistort plant (an abundant weed round there apparently), nettles, spring onions and oats, fried in bacon fat. Anyone tried this delicacy?

I've not tried it, but it's apparently a very old traditional recipe. Would give it a go if oats didn't play havoc with my acid reflux :D Not on an FEB though, but I'd probably at least try a bit to taste it despite the oats.

I've cooked nettle tops in bacon fat and found them delicious, so I'm keen to give this a go - out of season now though, so I'll have to remember next spring...

Reactions: pug
I've cooked nettle tops in bacon fat and found them delicious, so I'm keen to give this a go - out of season now though, so I'll have to remember next spring...
Foraged nettles worked well as an accompaniment to bison Thai green curry we knocked up whilst camping a couple of years back 👍

IMG_20200821_172931.jpgIMG_20200821_192541.jpgMVIMG_20200821_193416.jpg

I've cooked with nettles quite a bit this year - I do a mean nettle & goats cheese gnocchi (so nice the youngest asked for it for his birthday tea) - it should be on the menu more often than it is. I guess its the stinging puts people off - you have to remember to take sturdy gloves with you when you head out to forage...

I've cooked with nettles quite a bit this year - I do a mean nettle & goats cheese gnocchi (so nice the youngest asked for it for his birthday tea) - it should be on the menu more often than it is. I guess its the stinging puts people off - you have to remember to take sturdy gloves with you when you head out to forage...
It’s the dogs pissing on it that puts me off.

That's the thing about all these quick easy breakfasts on the shop. They are all so fucking generic and dull.

Back
Top Bottom