Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The *FULL* cooked breakfast thread - back me up

Them eggs won't run for sure. They'll stay inside you for weeks.
This is why I shouldn’t join in with the internet. I don’t know what that means. I’m pretty confident I’ll digest a cooked egg pretty quickly.
I thought this thread was goi g to be photos of cooked breakfasts that weren’t strict Full English.
Like kedgeree or whatever. And without having to make a dam with sausages.

This is why I shouldn’t join in with the internet. I don’t know what that means. I’m pretty confident I’ll digest a cooked egg pretty quickly.
I thought this thread was goi g to be photos of cooked breakfasts that weren’t strict Full English.
Like kedgeree or whatever. And without having to make a dam with sausages.
I was of the belief that hard boiled eggs were meant to bung you up, but I can't think how I came to this.

When I go totally off-piste I'll come and visit. There is something invigorating though about pushing the comfort zone of the FEB Taliban.

That's sort of how I feel. Without someone to flip out, it's just a thread with inappropriate figs.

This reminds me, I've not had a rowie, bacon and black pudding breakfast for a long time. I may need to rectify that very soon! Or at least get some tattie scones. :D

My excuse is that the pub at the end of my road has started doing a fairly reasonable fried breakfast with unlimited coffee for about seven quid - and starts serving it two hours before opening time. So it has become a Sunday treat.
At a former employer, someone would do a roll run on a Friday morning and my preferred combination was black pudding and tattie scone on a morning roll (no butter) with brown sauce. Awesome.

Occasionally I'd throw some bacon in, but not as a regular item. I've done it at home with veggie black pudding and it is just as delicious, if not more so.

At a former employer, someone would do a roll run on a Friday morning and my preferred combination was black pudding and tattie scone on a morning roll (no butter) with brown sauce. Awesome.

Occasionally I'd throw some bacon in, but not as a regular item. I've done it at home with veggie black pudding and it is just as delicious, if not more so.

I am now sorted with both rowies and tattie scones, bacon, black pudding etc for tomorrow morning. Will decide what/which or both in the morning. :D

Yeah. I had fun on the other one, but if it really is pissing people off then I'm not into winding people up to the point where they get upset.

I'm not gonna die on a hill of laverbread.

A hill is too much, but kedgeree with two fried eggs on top and a side of laverbread is the breakfast of champions. :thumbs:

I am now sorted with both rowies and tattie scones, bacon, black pudding etc for tomorrow morning. Will decide what/which or both in the morning. :D
After extensive research over many years I’ve concluded that the best black pudding in Britain is from Scotland. Charles McLeod’s Stornaway Black Pudding, to be precise. Most English BPs are either too dry (not enough fat) under-seasoned, or both. A relative newcomer, Doreen’s Black Pudding, is English, triangular, and delicious, but it’s been a long wait as traditionally, English producers have sought to emulate the rubbery, tasteless offerings of the likes of the Bury Black Pudding Company.

Can any of our Scottish friends recommend any other (non-Stornaway) BPs from north of the border?

I absolutely love the filled steamed buns you get here and there's a lot of regional variety and fillings to suit all tastes, plus sizes varying from bitesize to baby's head. Only veg ones I'm not keen on are the sweet red bean paste, prefer savoury, but even they're fine at a pinch.

I absolutely love the filled steamed buns you get here and there's a lot of regional variety and fillings to suit all tastes, plus sizes varying from bitesize to baby's head. Only veg ones I'm not keen on are the sweet red bean paste, prefer savoury, but even they're fine at a pinch.
Steamed buns at breakfast, never mind gunpowder, a civil service and paper, are China’s main contribution to the world. In the same way as the USA brought their pancakes to the party, with Canada’s maple syrup (Sisters from a common mother).

In fact how about a fantasy breakfast league . I’ll need to give it more thought but as a starter for 10.

As a buffet obvs, not all on one plate.

UK Bacon, Cumberland sausage Fried Eggs
France fresh baguette and pain au chocolate
China Steamed buns and plain noodle
Holland - Euro cheese (sliced processed Edam- goes brilliant with)
Spain - Serrano ham
Amercanada Pancakes ( hotcakes) and maple syrup. Mighty browns.
International globalised capitalism. McDonald’s sausage and egg Mc Muffin. I’ll miss them in the workers’ paradise.

I’m sure this can be improved upon.

That made for a very nice Breakfast/brunch - I had both a rowie and tattie scones. With mushrooms.

And I have enough for the same again tomorrow, although the temptation of a pub breakfast may win-out! :D

After extensive research over many years I’ve concluded that the best black pudding in Britain is from Scotland. Charles McLeod’s Stornaway Black Pudding, to be precise. Most English BPs are either too dry (not enough fat) under-seasoned, or both. A relative newcomer, Doreen’s Black Pudding, is English, triangular, and delicious, but it’s been a long wait as traditionally, English producers have sought to emulate the rubbery, tasteless offerings of the likes of the Bury Black Pudding Company.

Can any of our Scottish friends recommend any other (non-Stornaway) BPs from north of the border?

Marag Dubh! Lovely stuff and there are several producers on the islands, each with their own take of the recipe as well (some use sheep or cows blood instead of pig and different grinds of oatmeal) but Macleod are probably the most famous/widely exported. Some are so small that their pudding barely gets out of the crofting communities where it's produced. Freshness of the blood is one of the things they swear by - Ideally, it gets made into pudding before it even cools after slaughter.

Orkney also has a strong rep for Black Pudding, for similar reasons but Donaldson's is the name to look out for there. There is a shop near me that usually has a range of black puddings from different producers upriver from. Looks like I'll need to pop-by!

the problem with black pudding in england is no one knows how to cook it

as i don't like returning food to a kitchen in a cafe, pub or resturant

most of the time it comes out more or less raw

"look go back and burn/Brown it a bit ffs"

less of a problem back home :)

I’m not a meat eater, but on the subject of cooking meat, I’m often alarmed at how pale and flaccid bacon is when “cooked” in this country.

Reactions: Ax^
think it a celt and have also been advised by a few caribbean folks that standard practise is the cook the life out of everything
works for a breakfast i will admit

never had a soft boiled egg till i was 20 and was going out with an english lass

So little black pudding is produced using fresh blood these days that you must double check if you are specifically after it. Producers make from both fresh and dried. There are loads more regs around fresh blood with the resultant knock on in price.

Reactions: Ax^

as i don't like returning food to a kitchen in a cafe, pub or resturant

most of the time it comes out more or less raw

"look go back and burn/Brown it a bit ffs"

less of a problem back home :)
My dad used to comp down on it raw. 🤮

I prefer white pudding.
There’s some really good veggie white pudding these days. I know people are going to search the ingredients and pretend to be appalled, especially when you can make your own skirlie, but it’s a tasty occasional treat.

Back
Top Bottom