Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The *FULL* cooked breakfast thread - back me up

After extensive research over many years I’ve concluded that the best black pudding in Britain is from Scotland. Charles McLeod’s Stornaway Black Pudding, to be precise. Most English BPs are either too dry (not enough fat) under-seasoned, or both. A relative newcomer, Doreen’s Black Pudding, is English, triangular, and delicious, but it’s been a long wait as traditionally, English producers have sought to emulate the rubbery, tasteless offerings of the likes of the Bury Black Pudding Company.

Can any of our Scottish friends recommend any other (non-Stornaway) BPs from north of the border?

I shall ask Mrs Sas, the very thought of BP makes me heave.

someone thought it was a good idea to put a full breakfast in front of me after a night of mandy

can still taste my boots from the vomit waterful that caused
Yeh bacon etc isn't going to work, but mussels were exactly right, all soft and salty and full of vitamins and minerals and protein. I might do a stall. There probably already is one in hackney wick now it is the trendy legal fashion rave area (as opposed to the illegal scum rave area it used to be)

Kedgeree? A side of mac and cheese? A Staffordshire oatcake? Fried plantains? Let’s see it.

Well I'm a Stokie born and bred. I've just returned from 11 years away so I've been absolutely smashing the oatcakes.

I really wish I had a photo of this because one of my good friends is a lactose intolerant stokie of Jamaican descent. He introduced me to fried plantain not long ago. Plantain oatcakes were consumed.

I also had a piece of breaded fish on an oatcake with tartare sauce. That was pretty wrong too.

Derbyshire oat cake if you don't mind.

I love a Derbyshire oatcake but can't eat more than 3 in a sitting as they're so bloody thick. They can handle a good hard crisping/frying though. Someone microwaved one for me a while ago, that was a sad day.

Lol at Sue ’s reaction. :D

Ok, I do appreciate that not everyone loves kippers.
(another) Breakfast of champions, though.

Ace Rimmer was not wrong.

My ex used to cook kippers/sardines sometimes when I was out. (I'm veggie, he most definitely is not.) Even with the extractor fan on and back door open, the entire place would stink for days.

He'd claim there was no smell at all and I'd point out I could tell he'd been cooking them as soon as I opened the front door so... 🤷‍♀️

My ex used to cook kippers/sardines sometimes when I was out. (I'm veggie, he most definitely is not.) Even with the extractor fan on and back door open, the entire place would stink for days.

He'd claim there was no smell at all and I'd point out I could tell he'd been cooking them as soon as I opened the front door so... 🤷‍♀️

Yeah, that’s fair. If I had a veggie girlfriend I def wouldn’t heat them up in the house.

There would be barbecued kippers from time to time, though.

I absolutely love the filled steamed buns you get here and there's a lot of regional variety and fillings to suit all tastes, plus sizes varying from bitesize to baby's head. Only veg ones I'm not keen on are the sweet red bean paste, prefer savoury, but even they're fine at a pinch.
I love a fluffy steamed bun myself and only realised very recently (when I made some from scratch) that they are actually bread - wheat flour, yeast and all. I'd always assumed they were some kind of rice-based thing.

I love a fluffy steamed bun myself and only realised very recently (when I made some from scratch) that they are actually bread - wheat flour, yeast and all. I'd always assumed they were some kind of rice-based thing.

Oh yes.

A char siu bau or three for breakfast is up there with kippers for me. 🥰

Incidentally, this is a derail really, as it's more a light continental style breakfast than a full one, but a Greek deli recently opened near me and I've just discovered the delight that is koulouri - the sesame seed bread ring. One of those and a cup of coffee is a perfect grab and go breakfast. I'd already started having them for breakfast before I realised that is exactly what they are for.

A bread ring coated in sesame seeds, similar to a bagel but thinner and larger.

The pub won today, despite some snow falling.

Went for their breakfast waffle for a change. Waffles, sausages, bacon, fried egg, onions and maple syrup. Washed down with plenty of coffee, and toast and jam too.

Which was very, very nice indeed. I have yet to try their fullest breakfast, which has everything but would probably sink me for the rest of the day.

Away to burn some of it off in the garden before it snows again! :D

In Israel they do this thing called Shakshuka, otherwise known as Kibbutz Breakfast (though Turkish friends of mine have told me about the same thing from Turkey, so it's clearly a regional thing rather than specifically a kibbutz thing)

Anyway, how I learned to make it (it's one of those meals that everyone does a bit differently)...

Fry slowly in olive oil (in this order) ... onions, garlic, red peppers, chillis to taste, and tomatoes, plus a decent slosh of lemon juice. Cook it slowly to a mush. Then break eggs on top, put on a lid and leave the eggs to cook (yolks will go on cooking as long as they're on top of the food, so the longer, the less runny). Then scoop out one egg each with a decent serving of the shakshuka, and eat it on a nice doorstep of fresh bread. Hopefully make enough for a second go :thumbs:

It's absolutely the best hangover cure I've ever had, too.

Back
Top Bottom