Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of cash?

One thing I just don't understand is how going cashless would prevent you 'saving for a rainy day'?
Literally the only risk mitigation provided specifically by cash is that it can cover you for a handful of days in the event that the electronic infrastructure crashes. So yes, it’s useful to have a bit of cash for emergencies. And I don’t care how much everybody goes cashless — if the infrastructure crashes then all those shops will immediately revert back to taking your cash with pleasure. Unless you’re going to keep literally thousands in cash in your house, though, your personal ability to mitigate this threat by holding cash is limited. And then you have the much bigger risk of being burgled.

Literally the only risk mitigation provided specifically by cash is that it can cover you for a handful of days in the event that the electronic infrastructure crashes. So yes, it’s useful to have a bit of cash for emergencies. And I don’t care how much everybody goes cashless — if the infrastructure crashes then all those shops will immediately revert back to taking your cash with pleasure. Unless you’re going to keep literally thousands in cash in your house, though, your personal ability to mitigate this threat by holding cash is limited. And then you have the much bigger risk of being burgled.
If the infrastructure crashes to the point where you might need thousands tucked away, I think we might have bigger issues to worry about and the cash won't be worth much.

Last edited:
Well, it is a fact that the Bank of England has a unit that's looking into the introduction of a Central Bank Digital Currency, or the "Digital Pound" as they choose to call it.

Which is not the same as saying that the government intends to introduce one. I suspect they would run a mile from such a policy, given the public furore a few years ago when the banks were planning to phase out cheques, when the government stepped in and forced a U turn.

It is also a fact that the House of Lords Economic Affairs committee looked into the question of CBDCs a while ago and published a report that made clear they had deep reservations:

The committee’s overall conclusion was that it was “yet to hear a convincing case” for why the UK needs a retail CBDC. The report stated that while a CBDC “may provide some advantages”, it could present “significant challenges” for financial stability and the protection of privacy.

Sara Bailey, who runs Hot Gossip coffee shop in Treorchy, said her business and others had suffered since Barclays closed its doors, with remaining cash points in the town running out of money "once, even twice a day on some days".
"We are a cash-only business here, so we have had to turn customers away. A few other businesses here have had to do the same."

I'm not an entrepreneurial genius, but I think I can spot one obvious solution easily within the business' own scope to implement that would mean they could stop turning down custom.

I've never paid for anything using a cheque, ever. It's like the financial equivalent of the carbide lamp. We have powerful and efficient LED lights now.
I used to pay rent with a cheque book. God knows the legality of that.

I used to pay rent with a cheque book. God knows the legality of that.

i can't see any reason that paying by cheque would be / have been illegal. broadly speaking, it's up to the organisation / person receiving the payment whether they will accept a certain form of payment, but if they were happy with it, can't see why not.

one job i had (very small firm, 1989-ish) used to pay wages by cheque, which was a bit of a pain in the tail.

i can't see any reason that paying by cheque would be / have been illegal. broadly speaking, it's up to the organisation / person receiving the payment whether they will accept a certain form of payment, but if they were happy with it, can't see why not.

one job i had (very small firm, 1989-ish) used to pay wages by cheque, which was a bit of a pain in the tail.
I'm sure it's perfectly legal to pay a landlord by cheque (or cash or any other payment method). Only thing making it ilegal is the landlord not declaring it for tax but thats the landlords responsibility not the tenents.

I'm sure it's perfectly legal to pay a landlord by cheque (or cash or any other payment method). Only thing making it ilegal is the landlord not declaring it for tax but thats the landlords responsibility not the tenents.
I don't understand why paying rent by cheque is any different to other types of payment?

It would have been pretty common at one time I'd think.

Back
Top Bottom