Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of cash?

No really seeing what this adds to the thread, tbh.
Setting aside the arsehole 'personality' involved, isn't this just an account of a business not making clear their refusal to accept cash as payment before providing a service/product?
It does say "card payments only" in the window. Although not very large. We don't know if any bigger signs inside.

It does say "card payments only" in the window. Although not very large. We don't know if any bigger signs inside.
True, I hadn't seen that...but perhaps that's the point. Not wishing to defend the areshole, but if he's posted in good faith, it is evident that the business had not made him aware before he ordered.

tbh, in the unlikely even that I'd have been put in the that position in that cafe, I think I'd have just walked out if they'd point blank refused to take my payment

True, I hadn't seen that...but perhaps that's the point. Not wishing to defend the areshole, but if he's posted in good faith, it is evident that the business had not made him aware before he ordered.

tbh, in the unlikely even that I'd have been put in the that position in that cafe, I think I'd have just walked out if they'd point blank refused to take my payment
Yeah if that is the only sign it's very small. I had to zoom in to see it. Bloke does sound an arsehole but stopped clocks etc....

I never understood why cash is trusted and cashless alternatives are not. Both are controlled by banks. In 2016 the Reserve Bank of India demonetised all ₹500 and ₹1000 banknotes overnight without notice; the Bank of England could easily do something similar with its notes if its bosses at HM Treasury were minded to do so.
And as has been said before, unless you keep all your cash stuffed under your mattress you still keep your many in a bank and need to use them to withdraw it.

I really don't get why people see a difference between using a cashpoint outside a shop to get cash to spend there and using their card inside the shop.

Mullins has a pathological inability to post anything in good faith

but discussing it further gives his bigoted hypocritical ego the oxygen it craves

Reactions: tim
Yeah if that is the only sign it's very small. I had to zoom in to see it. Bloke does sound an arsehole but stopped clocks etc....
Mullins has a pathological inability to post anything in good faith

but discussing it further gives his bigoted hypocritical ego the oxygen it craves

My issue has never really been about cash, it's about the denominations of cash which the UK has. If we still did £1 notes in in the nu-polymer form I'd carry a fair few just for the purpose of paying for small things and fucking off the card fees for small businesses, and I'd likely just tip the balance to round up to the nearest £1.

But as things are, here in the UK - you have £5 notes as the minimum - which means paying for something that costs e.g. £5.25 means either having to carry coins around with you in advance (hassle, dirty, heavy, bulky etc), or breaking another note and ending up with £4.75 (hassle, dirty, heavy, bulky etc) in coins. I am not going to carry round coins on the off chance I want to pay for a snack or something but I'd totally carry round say £10 of £1 notes because they'd weigh nothing, can be stashed much better, and wouldn't jangle like filthy coins.

Whereas I object to the plastic notes rather than the coins because they just are so easy to lose.

Total opposite for me. Coins are the things I lose. Notes can be folded and placed in a slim wallet. Coins just don't fit anywhere so they end up in pockets scratching up my phone and sunglasses, or in a bag jangling around. More often than not they end up down the back of a sofa or left on the side somewhere.

A wallet which can be quite slim? As opposed to one that's bulky enough to hold coins, which mine is, but rarely gets carried.
I've never got on with wallets for cash. No matter what style I have I inevitably just ignore it and stuff it all in my pocket, and then discover it's jumped out later in the day.

My issue has never really been about cash, it's about the denominations of cash which the UK has. If we still did £1 notes in in the nu-polymer form I'd carry a fair few just for the purpose of paying for small things and fucking off the card fees for small businesses, and I'd likely just tip the balance to round up to the nearest £1.

But as things are, here in the UK - you have £5 notes as the minimum - which means paying for something that costs e.g. £5.25 means either having to carry coins around with you in advance (hassle, dirty, heavy, bulky etc), or breaking another note and ending up with £4.75 (hassle, dirty, heavy, bulky etc) in coins. I am not going to carry round coins on the off chance I want to pay for a snack or something but I'd totally carry round say £10 of £1 notes because they'd weigh nothing, can be stashed much better, and wouldn't jangle like filthy coins.
Just goes to show how its different strokes...and all that; I love nothing more than being able to pay with exact coin cash - always feels like a win to me.

When i went to the usa about 10 years ago. I found the 1 dollar notes in my change really annoying after a while. Hard to fold my wallet in the end after i had about 30 of them. Its only about 60p in our money i think. So i think i prefer coins like we have.

When i went to the usa about 10 years ago. I found the 1 dollar notes in my change really annoying after a while. Hard to fold my wallet in the end after i had about 30 of them. Its only about 60p in our money i think. So i think i prefer coins like we have.

$30 in $1 notes would be annoying. I'd only carry 10 maximum. Also US notes are paper and easier to tear, I wouldn't be a fan of paper £1 notes but I'd certainly prefer to carry a bunch of polymer £1s and £2s than the ridiculous coins we have. They must be cheaper to produce and handle too.

$30 in $1 notes would be annoying. I'd only carry 10 maximum. Also US notes are paper and easier to tear, I wouldn't be a fan of paper £1 notes but I'd certainly prefer to carry a bunch of polymer £1s and £2s than the ridiculous coins we have. They must be cheaper to produce and handle too.
I love our £2 coins :cool:

the £5 coin exists even if never circulated outside of collectors

Ah yeah, that's true. There's even a £20 coin and I think even a £100 coin. I recently watched some 'hilarious' youtuber have at it with some Tesco staff about whether or not his £20 coin was legal tender. It's really not worth the watch but just for reference.

Ah yeah, that's true. There's even a £20 coin and I think even a £100 coin. I recently watched some 'hilarious' youtuber have at it with some Tesco staff about whether or not his £20 coin was legal tender. It's really not worth the watch but just for reference.
He pissed me off early going on about legal tender despite not having a clue what it actually means.

As does the £100
£100 coin = 1oz gold ....i.e 20x face value

He pissed me off early going on about legal tender despite not having a clue what it actually means.
I've only watched a couple of minutes, (tedious FMoTL-style bollux), but I'm not sure he's wrong about the coin being classed as legal tender, because, AFAICS, in E&W all Royal Mint coins & BoE nots are regarded as legal tender under the BoE's narrow definition that:

Legal tender has a narrow technical meaning which has no use in everyday life. It means that if you offer to fully pay off a debt to someone in legal tender, they can’t sue you for failing to repay.
Where the YouTuber appears less well informed is that a shop owner can choose what payment they accept.

Back
Top Bottom