Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

hmm still pondering how much british food is exported to NI

is it not the other way around

:hmm:
I think what's much more significant is the amount of EU stuff which currently goes to NI through Britain, and would potentially be subject to going through border controls twice, unless different supply routes were set up which avoided Britain altogether.

Nope. No surprise. However, the Lords may pan out to be a different story

Or the Neill amendment they vote on next week.

It's not only ex-remainers and political has-beens opposing the bill; it's influential, hitherto pretty loyal and relatively sane characters like Tughendat and Ellwood who don't like the thought of breaking international law, but also the ERG loons who think he's not gone far enough. Brexit has always been about trying to stop the party tearing itself apart over Europe and last year when the Grieve/Soubry types were kicked out it looked to have succeeded, but the truce seems to be well and truly over now.

ermm...RCG or RCP? There's a fair differfence (the RCG were the bunch who infiltrated, completely took over, and then completely dicked over the City of London Anti Apartheid group)
Dicked them over by setting up and resourcing the non stop picket for years? The bastards.

I don't think my wife's "Brexit Cupboard" is going to cut it. I guess we can empty it out and lay it flat, recessed six foot in the ground.

Dicked them over by setting up and resourcing the non stop picket for years? The bastards.
tbh, I was on that picket for 18+ months, and it was always others who played a much bigger role in manning and resourcing it then. (I don't know what it was like at other points, but the RCG were pretty parasitical in the mid 80s

Not an official source obviously, but a bit of a mess if even partially true.

Being reported in the Torygraph. Entirely predictable.
UK to 'reset' sat nav plans after scrapping work on £5bn Galileo rival

Some officials are believed to have pushed for the Government to examine a return to the European Galileo project

By James Titcomb SAN FRANCISCO
19 September 2020 • 8:30pm, DT

The Government has formally scrapped Theresa May’s plans for a British version of the GPS satellite navigation programme, leading to parts of Whitehall now pushing for the UK to rejoin the EU’s Galileo system.

The UK Space Agency is expected to announce in the coming days that it has terminated the GNSS project, which Mrs May put £92m of taxpayer funds into in 2018.

Under a reset of Britain’s space ambitions, the agency is now poised to examine alternatives for a sovereign positioning system, including deploying satellites from OneWeb, the bankrupt space company the Government is paying £400m to rescue.

Multiple options are understood to be in consideration. Civil servants and parts of the industry have pushed for the reset to revive talks on joining the EU’s Galileo system, which Britain was frozen out of during Brexit negotiations. The Government said participating in Galileo was off the table.

Substantial differences have emerged within government about the merits of investing in OneWeb. UKSA officials and experts have disparaged the idea of repurposing the company’s broadband satellites to build a location system, saying they could suffer from signal interference and could not carry the heavy atomic clocks needed for accurate time signals.

Research on a British equivalent to Galileo and America’s GPS, which would have used heavier higher-orbit satellites, was estimated to cost between £3bn and £5bn, and the UKSA has been winding down industry contracts in recent weeks.

Alternatives to OneWeb could include a regional approach using geostationary satellites, which would be cheaper since fewer satellites would be needed to cover a portion of the Earth’s surface.

Accurate and secure positioning systems are seen as being of increasing national importance due to technologies such as autonomous cars and boats, and as foreign governments and criminals exploit the vulnerabilities of GPS.

Several British companies had been involved in developing Galileo before the European Space Agency moved work abroad after Article 50 was invoked.

The Government has agreed to take a 45pc stake in OneWeb, which entered bankruptcy in March, in a joint venture with India’s Bharti Global.

A spokesman for the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy said: "The Government has set a clear ambition for a sovereign space programme which will bring long-term strategic and commercial benefits for the UK. Work is ongoing across Government to determine the UK’s positioning, navigation and timing requirements, and assessing options for meeting them.

"The UK will not participate in the EU’s Galileo programme. Current OneWeb satellites are used to deliver satellite communications services, not satellite navigation."

It's not being reported much but isn't there a deadline from the EU of 1st October (next week) to withdraw the illegal bill or talks binned and legal action begins?

When does the illegal bill finish it's journey through parliament?

I want to go to Spaceport Cornwall.

Cornwall Live said:
“In particular, I am keen to see the local stakeholders, working in partnership with universities, to build on Cornwall’s historical strengths for science and innovation; to become a global centre for space communication, spaceflight and space mining.”

Space MINING?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom