Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

Now I'm really confused. 1 Never knew you were German 2 Not sure how much help Germans were to the southern Nor(s)mans
True fact: I'm technically descended from the French family one of whose number killed Richard the Lionheart.

Technically, but not genetically, due to some extra-marital coitus in the 1800s.

I know this because of grave-visiting hobbyist granddad.

True fact: I'm technically descended from the French family one of whose number killed Richard the Lionheart.

Technically, but not genetically, due to some extra-marital coitus in the 1800s.

I know this because of grave-visiting hobbyist granddad.

Technically related and genetically related are the same thing. What you are is 'unrelated' to the family in question.

I on the other hand am a direct descendant of William the Bastard himself.

I'm by no means an expert but the difference between the WA negotiated by May and rejected 3 times, and the amended version eventually passed by Johnson, is fairly marginal. Didn't it all come down to the backstop / NI? And didn't the UK eventually accept there would be border checks between NI and the rest of the UK, effectively accepting that NI would, to all intents and purposes (especially as all NI residents have right to Irish citizenship) stay in the EU? I don't know what concessions the UK won from the EU, but that certainly doesn't seem to be much of one.
Doesn't, does it. Team Boris has, I gotta admit, done a standout job of selling the line that Al Johnson didn't just hand the E.U. everything it'd originally asked for, bringing back a far worse withdrawal agreement than May's.

No wonder Brussels are chilled about the election result: no only do they get everything they want, they get a government capable of hawking it domestically as a glorious victory.

“We want to leave but keep unrestricted access for our biggest economic sector”
“Um, no.”

“Totally unreasonable EU rejects our demands!”

It hasn't got a supra-state capital market unfortunately so "access" cuts both ways. e.g Germany has a longer tradition of raising bank capital and its largest bank Deutsche Bank is pretty much a basket-case. The market cap of Apple is now greater than the DAX 30 top 30 German public companies for example. afaik the main risk to London is losing busines to New York apart from its time zone advantage for round the clock trading

This could be a major problem. The rax was introduced because of the advantage cheaper continental diesel gave for picking up domestic work once over here. If Commission want to go down this route then only logical next step is removal of cabotage rights which will cause logistics nightmares for everyone at the end of the transition

Really good summary of where we're at here - from what I can tell its a good summarisation:

That piece is all mainly documenting current realities as reported more widely, but it does include this one personal projection of the future:

"Whatever exactly happens, it looks like we are going to get something that Boris always denied - not frictionless trade, but frictional trade. One consequence of this is that it is almost all over for the British car industry, but that was possibly the case even before Brexit, due to the trade deal between EU and Japan - plus the advent of electric cars and massive consolidation at a global level. Japanese car firms opened up in Britain not just because of supine trade unions, thanks to Margaret Thatcher, but also - more importantly still - as it represented a gateway to Europe. This is no longer case, with a hard Brexit acting as the final nail in the coffin. "

1581617946071.png

Meanwhile, diplomatic relations between Donald Trump and his "friend" Boris Johnson have cooled significantly in recent weeks.

The cooling followed the prime minister's decision in January to let Chinese telecoms giant Huawei build its 5G network, despite intensive lobbying from the US amid security concerns.

Trump was said to have been "apoplectic" during a phone call with Johnson last week after the decision was announced, and he was reported to have ended the call by "slamming the phone down," according to officials in the room. The prime minister has delayed his imminent trip to Washington.

source

Yeh just wait till he's run down by a lawnmower, blades on them give nasty cuts. Then he'll change his mind.

For fuck's sake. This wasn't on the side of the cunty bullshitting bus

Brexit is set to have cost the UK more than £200 billion in lost economic growth by the end of this year — a figure that almost eclipses the total amount the UK has paid toward the European Union budget over the past 47 years.

According to research by Bloomberg Economics, the cost of the UK's vote to leave has already reached £130 billion, with a further £70 billion likely to be added by the end of 2020.

The analysis, by the economist Dan Hanson, found that business uncertainty had caused the UK's economic growth to lag behind that of other G7 countries since the 2016 vote.

That means the British economy is 3% smaller than it might have been if the UK had not voted to leave the EU.

Back
Top Bottom