Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

Oh I agree, the whole debate was a shambles. The saddest thing is that I can see no benefits from Brexit coming for the people who voted for it in areas like Cornwall, Wales, the North East, the so called red wall. People who will be screwed by the likes of Johnson, Trump, Xi and the deals they reach. Even if Trump is voted out there is no way the US is going to do anybody a favour in any trade deal. These communities will feel the worst of it. I'm not an arch remainer either.
I can’t see any benefit coming to most of those who voted to leave either. All the worst aspects of neo-liberal multi-national capitalism will just be exacerbated. All the flag-waving, patriotic, xenophobic hot air will be shown to be just that.

Hold on a minute. Much though I adore taking the piss out of the Cornish, they're not actually cookie cutter copies of each other. They didn't all vote the same way or think the same way. And there is a serious situation with regard to people's livelihoods; people will actually be hungry at the end of all this, and I'm not entirely sure that I like the deckchair-and-popcorn attitude. It doesn't feel very Urban to me. Sorry.

Hold on a minute. Much though I adore taking the piss out of the Cornish, they're not actually cookie cutter copies of each other. They didn't all vote the same way or think the same way. And there is a serious situation with regard to people's livelihoods; people will actually be hungry at the end of all this, and I'm not entirely sure that I like the deckchair-and-popcorn attitude. It doesn't feel very Urban to me. Sorry.
Quite agree :(

Indeed. The whole idea of describing a whole region as 'brexit voting' erases a fuckload of people.

Well I meant "they" as in the majority that voted Brexit there. Obviously not all the Cornish voted for it. It seems quite clear that Cornwall and the other regions will suffer for it for various reasons. I take absolutely no pleasure in that whatsoever.

The old people did. The young folk of cornwall are basically doomed. At this rate the whole place will be a ghost town in my lifetime.
Meanwhile in the EU negotiations over Covid 19 finance the people representing the young people in the richer northern EU states are trying to insist that younger people in the poorer southern EU states pay off a loan for any financial assistance rather than it be a grant.

Meanwhile in the EU negotiations over Covid 19 finance the people representing the young people in the richer northern EU states are trying to insist that younger people in the poorer southern EU states pay off a loan for any financial assistance rather than it be a grant.
So you're trying to tell me Brexit didn't fix the EU?

I don’t understand what happened yesterday, they voted to deny themselselves (parliament) any say in future trade deals? Why? Just don’t get it at all.

Tiresome and predictable
You are a great example of the vapidness and deadendness of "anti-Toryism". The LDs enabled and promoted austerity, they backed further attacks to workers in 2015 and 2017 and in 2019 their manifesto was arguably economically to the right of the Tories. But hey they aren't Tories, they love the EU so they should be supported.

Back
Top Bottom