Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

brexit under theresa may would have been a lot less painful than it will be under the repugnant johnson
And when people voted for Brexit, what they really wanted was a Brexit led by remainer Theresa May. They certainly weren't voting for a Brexit implemented by the people who led the Brexit campaign that they voted for. They've been conned.

And when people voted for Brexit, what they really wanted was a Brexit led by remainer Theresa May. They certainly weren't voting for a Brexit implemented by the people who led the Brexit campaign that they voted for. They've been conned.
when people voted for brexit no one foresaw theresa may would become prime minister after the repulsive creature cameron ran away

Brexit voters say they knew what they were voting for.
I fail to see how the passing of time since 2016 changes or has changed that stance.
Isn't it reasonable in the circumstances for brexit voters to own everything since the vote rather than trying to weasel away saying they only meant the good bits?
(I can't see any good bits myself).
Those who voted Tory in 2019 at least only brought on this nightmare for five years, those who won the brexit vote have seemingly triumphed forever.

yeh but sovereignty

cannot blame people for wanting something else, something better- delivered by those who have royally screwed you over for decades is a bit grim tho'

Yes people wanted something better, but in my view the direction of travel away from nationalism, especially the British establishment version of nationalism, was heading in the direction of something better.
The brexit result has handed everything over to the Etonocracy which is not in the slightest bit better.

Build! Build! Build!

All we need is a bridge over the Irish Sea, an airport in the Thames and a cable car from the Palace to Russia 🥶, you doomsters!

My old Gran told me never to doubt a cold eyed opportunist with a demented haystack on his head, so she did. :rolleyes:

This remoaner Brexit-baiting made me laugh; it reminded me of PhoneShop and how the woman from the Croydon shop dissed Sutton's PAYG 'sales executive', Janine.

1594673791155.png

How are businesses supposed to prepare when nobody knows on what basis we'll be trading with EU or anywhere else?

As the document makes clear: "The UK's negotiations with the EU will have NO IMPACT on the need to take these actions."

HMRC estimates that the cost to UK business of having to fill out 200 million additional annual customs declarations alone will be £6.5bn a year.Many business groups have said this extra burden of time and cost comes at a moment when business is reeling from the impact of coronavirus disruption which has pitched the UK and the rest of the world into its deepest recession in living memory.

A Covid19 outbreak at Dover border control on the 2nd Jan could be ....interesting

It just keeps on delivering

British companies trading with Europe will have to absorb a post-Brexit bureaucracy burden and fill in an extra 215m customs declarations at a cost of about £7bn a year, according to government officials.

The scale of the additional red tape involved in future trade with the EU was confirmed as cabinet office minister Michael Gove laid out the government’s plans to manage the UK’s borders in a 206-page document that included the admission: “Customs declarations are complicated.”

Mr Gove announced £705m of extra spending for new infrastructure, jobs and technology, and the border with the EU and confirmed plans to build lorry inspection sites away from congested ports such as Dover. Officials estimate that up to a dozen may be needed.

The Amazon FBA Brexit bombshell has dropped which will significantly impact your Amazon business from the 1st of January 2021. Amazon’s UK FBA operations will be split from the EU with no more EFN (European Fufilment Network) and an end to Pan-European FBA inventory transfers between the UK and EU.

Not looking good for Cornwall

Cornwall Council has renewed its call for the government to provide £700m in funding to fill the gap left by EU funding post-Brexit.
The figure would cover the loss the region will suffer over the next ten years due to the impact of leaving the European Union.
Cornwall was granted Objective One status by the EU in 1999, meaning it was eligible for funding as one of the poorest regions in Europe.

pretty naive to think they would get the uk gvt replacing EU funding.
There wasn't a lot of critical thinking going on at the time. The media was mainly made up of flag waving twats and puffed up Tories evoking the spirit of Churchill, D Day, Spitfires, Empire and the good old days.

There wasn't a lot of critical thinking going on at the time. The media was plw made up of flag waving twats and puffed up Tories evoking the spirit of Churchill, D Day, Spitfires, Empire and the good old days.

Oh I agree, the whole debate was a shambles. The saddest thing is that I can see no benefits from Brexit coming for the people who voted for it in areas like Cornwall, Wales, the North East, the so called red wall. People who will be screwed by the likes of Johnson, Trump, Xi and the deals they reach. Even if Trump is voted out there is no way the US is going to do anybody a favour in any trade deal. These communities will feel the worst of it. I'm not an arch remainer either.

Perhaps I am understandingly cynical about this disgraced government and how they award money :hmm:

Cornwall is predominantly Tory and voted Brexit. These are things that are rewarded by this disgraced government. A lot of Tory party membera, donors and voters (alongside residents) will have land, holiday homes down there. Cornwall is also a very marketable UK tourist destination.

The £700m they cost themselves may well be bailed out over 10 years to keep them onside.

Back
Top Bottom