Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2021/22

Very hard one to call. I think Steve Smith being captain again (which let's face it he is) will be a big plus for the aussies. On our side, Stokes making his comeback will massively strengthen us. Can't really call it. Let's hope the first ball doesn't get bowled to first slip again, doesn't quite set the right tone.

Let’s just say England will be lucky to get 1. Though I understand there is some weather around. But we can’t bat. And if you don’t score you don’t win tests.

The Aussies must be in a bit of disarray after the whole dick pic thing, but yeh you're probably right. They have been down there for months in quarantine practising with the kookaburra on aussie pitches though. I'm a born optimist. India were given no chance a couple of years ago playing with half their A side out and managed ok.

Is Warner still playing? I hope he is, because he's proper shit nowadays.
No sadly he's not. He couldn't buy a run in the last Ashes, then went home and scored a triple century.

I expect lots of runs from Warner, Labuschagne and Smith.

The Aussies will score quite a few at various stages. Aussie wickets are generally decent - outright flat in Melbourne - and the kookaburra ball is so rubbish that it's no good for seamers after 20 overs. So England will need to score. I've been a critic of his, but I think Pope should play ahead of Bairstow as I think his potential is higher. Sounds are that Bairstow will get the nod on seniority more than anything else. That's probably a mistake.

But it's the start of a series. It's a chance for Root to finally go big in Aus. For the likes of Hameed or Pope to come of age. Hope springs...

^

You got your wish (mine too - if Pope is going to star anywhere, it has to be in Australia). No Anderson.

Squad in full​

Joe Root (c), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wkt), Haseeb Hameed, Jack Leach, Dawid Malan, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood

Shame, I was looking forward to Bairstow's fluid 24 looking in good nick before being bowled through the gate by Cummins' first ball of his second spell.

Batting lineup from those 12 picks itself. What are we thinking for bowlers, Broad Wood Robinson?

What's the deal with TV coverage? I know live is on BT Sport (and streams ;) ) but I'm sure I read that the BBC had the highlights package but I can't see anything in the TV listings.

Shame, I was looking forward to Bairstow's fluid 24 looking in good nick before being bowled through the gate by Cummins' first ball of his second spell.

Batting lineup from those 12 picks itself. What are we thinking for bowlers, Broad Wood Robinson?

I’m guessing Bairstow was still getting bowled in the nets. I’m sure Chris Woakes has improved his Kookaburra game but it would be daft to not include Leach.

imo they've got to back Leach. No, he's not going to win any of the tests for England, except perhaps Sidney, but the spinner plays an important supporting role by keeping things tight with the old, rubbish, soft as fuck kookaburra. Lyon is very good at that - hardly ever wins player of the match, but does his job. If they don't think Leach is up to it, he shouldn't be there. If they do, he should play, particularly now Stokes is back.

I think Woakes is an unlucky and rather underrated test player, but his record at the Gabba is terrible. He could have a run with the pink ball, perhaps, next up.

Reasons for optimism:

1. Pink ball tests are a terrible idea and something of a lottery. Either side could annihilate the other if they're bowling at the right time. And now there might be two of them.

2. Stokes is back!

3. Root to continue the form of his life.

4. Aus batting still looks potentially fragile.

Reasons for pessimism:

I think there's a case for saying that not a single England bowler would get into the Australia side for these conditions. Stokes as the batting allrounder, but nobody else. That's my biggest stumbling block.

What's the deal with TV coverage? I know live is on BT Sport (and streams ;) ) but I'm sure I read that the BBC had the highlights package but I can't see anything in the TV listings.
They don't seem to mention a highlights package in the Coverage section of this page.

Test Match Special will provide ball-by-ball commentary on every match via BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra, Radio 4 LW, online and the BBC Sounds app.

BT Sport have live TV coverage for UK viewers.

There is no guarantee that it will be extended highlights on television.
May well just be clips on BBC iPlayer….

5pm highlights on iplayer will have to do (although I do have a decent stream that gives me btsport so I could watch their highlights package tomorrow morning).

The Torygraph reckons it’s either Broad or Leach!? Madness. Why the fuck would you not have Broad opening against Warner?

I hope this is a ruse.

Yeh I'd bat.

Aussie TV confirming Broad's not playing. He wasnt presented with his 150th cap in the huddle. Crazy.

Back
Top Bottom