Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The American mass shooting thread

NBC revise their figures:
The number of people believed to be killed in the shootings is 15 to 20, according to law enforcement sources. NBC News earlier reported that 22 people had been killed, citing a Lewiston police source. Up to 50 people may be injured, not all of whom were shot. Some reportedly had injuries from a stampede, the sources said.

already looked and you also have the "well if I was there with my gun",

like a trained armed firearm instructor is going be stop by the some with a camo wrap gun and a ridge wallet :facepalm:

aye the good guy with a gun who taken about 70 years to have it happen once

a former nra weapon instructor so at least partly trained and not your run of the mill gravy seal

Maine doesn't strike me as the usual place for this.

That´s another thing the NRA always bleat on about: even though there are several of these incidents every week (of which only the most dramatic get coverage) they occur in only 2% of US zip code areas(!)

in 2022, the total number of homicides in ME was 29. so no, it isn't.

I looked up the number of murders per 100,000 people. Its 1.6. By contrast Nebraska is 3.6 per 100,000.

This one incident will nearly double the murder rate in Maine.

One small blessing in this is that they've revised the number of dead down to 18.

Last edited:

That's a weird statistic though. It reckons almost all the firearms in the USA are unregistered. It says its figure for unregistered arms is an estimate, but it's very precise for an estimate. And it gives the USA half as many registered firearms as Canada, with a population ten times as big. Surely that can't be right?

That's a weird statistic though. It reckons almost all the firearms in the USA are unregistered. It says its figure for unregistered arms is an estimate, but it's very precise for an estimate. And it gives the USA half as many registered firearms as Canada, with a population ten times as big. Surely that can't be right?

Some states prohibit firearms registries. Only 7 require them, and - on a quick skim of below resource - only for certain types of weapon.

Of course it's not right but it is correct

Reactions: Ax^
Some states prohibit firearms registries. Only 7 require them, and - on a quick skim of below resource - only for certain types of weapon.

A 300-1 ratio still seems high though. And 24 states require a permit to carry:

A 300-1 ratio still seems high though. And 24 states require a permit to carry:

These are all quite specific things though... Permit to carry means in public. It's not a form of registry. At a guess it's simply because it's not really how the system operates except for a limited number of specific firearms in specific states. It does seem fucking batshit, but that's never stopped US gun owners before. The survey the figures are from appears to be reputable:

There has been a lot of activism on a judicial/legislative basis around this recently too... Too much to do dig up, but e.g California trying to tighten up laws, Supreme court stopping them etc. That probably feeds into it. Some of these registries may be relatively recent.

Reactions: Ax^
Back
Top Bottom