Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SUPER DRY Jackets

I had to draw the line last year when security people were stopping me in the corridors asking if I was really a student and asking to see my ID.

There's every chance they are but also every chance that those are knock-offs. And then of course you have the knock-offs that are off the back of a lorry from the same factory, and the other sort...

I agree that China is famous for knock-offs, but there is a lot of stuff sold online which isn't even famous in China and has no value as a fake, eg TU (Sainsbury's?) shoes are often sold online, they obviously are genuine, they're off the back of a lorry like you say. But what I mean is that Superdry jackets are made here if that many are finding their way onto Chinese shopping sites and shouldn't be considered to be any better than any other mass-produced garment, or any more worth the £70 than an Asda coat. Oddly you don't see much Primark stock in China. Sadly, I like their shoes.

I agree that China is famous for knock-offs, but there is a lot of stuff sold online which isn't even famous in China and has no value as a fake, eg TU (Sainsbury's?) shoes are often sold online, they obviously are genuine, they're off the back of a lorry like you say. But what I mean is that Superdry jackets are made here if that many are finding their way onto Chinese shopping sites and shouldn't be considered to be any better than any other mass-produced garment, or any more worth the £70 than an Asda coat. Oddly you don't see much Primark stock in China. Sadly, I like their shoes.
TBH even shopping in the UK and buying the occasional branded clobber I'm damned if I'm going to pay full price for owt. I'm queen of the internet sale items me.

I'd love one of these jackets but I am not paying £180 for bit of waxed duster. Waxed Cotton Anorak £179.

In the 1950s the military took the Inuit anorak design and applied it for their use. This dry-waxed cotton version is inspired by that design. Fully lined with our signature Orvis plaid lining. Pullover style with six-button neck closure. Hood with drawstring cinch. Traditional front pouch with button flap closure. Bottom cinch cord to keep out the elements. Two-button adjustable cuff. Anorak Jacket in dark khaki, olive. 100% cotton. Damp sponge.
Sizes: S(34-36), M(38-40), L(42-44), XL(46-48), XXL(50-52); about 31½" long in size large.

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=4H02

4H02FH2drkkhk.jpg

Orvis is insanely expensive but it has a quality to it, lasts ages. But wearing it you look like you've clothed yourself from the adverts in the back pages of the Daily Maily next to the crosswords

And of course there's the fact that dressing in a similar manner has been a way for humans to spot tribal affiliations since back when it was how you stuck feathers in your hair, strung your seashells or tied your furs on. Still equates to today - eg punks claiming to be 'anti-fashion', yet we can all spot a punk.

And of course there's the fact that dressing in a similar manner has been a way for humans to spot tribal affiliations since back when it was how you stuck feathers in your hair, strung your seashells or tied your furs on. Still equates to today - eg punks claiming to be 'anti-fashion', yet we can all spot a punk.

I was thinking about that before, I suppose I was just fortunate that my mates weren't into labels, there was definitely a "unifom" though.

I embrace the poor superdry kidz.

Now explain the grown ups......:D

(I'm looking at second hand dysons)

Orvis is insanely expensive but it has a quality to it, lasts ages. But wearing it you look like you've clothed yourself from the adverts in the back pages of the Daily Maily next to the crosswords

I've never heard of it before but I know what you mean, looking at their website is liking going back to the 1950s :D

I saw it here btw, one of my favourite blogs:

http://workerdandy.blogspot.co.uk/

TT-badge.png

(I'm looking at second hand dysons)

Henry the Hoover was 1st born in 1981 in the town of Chard, Somerset . He was a healthy bouncing boy who weighed just 6.6Kg. Numatic International were & are his proud parents.

The famous Henry smile combined with super suction & a robust body soon made Henry the vacuum cleaner of choice for contract cleaners across the UK.

Henry Hoovers have been known to last 20+ years, effectively vacuuming homes, offices & pubs not just in the UK but all around the world.

And best of all the Henry vacuum cleaner is still made where it all started in Chard Somerset!

http://henryhoover.com/

Dyson can't say it is made in UK!!

They are good those henry hoovers. I have a Dyson, which I think is ok, but Ms Idaho doesn't like.

I love the fierceness with which discuss hoovers on urban. It's vitally important you acknowledge my superior hoover opinion :mad:

you thick cunt. don't you know the difference between something holding an opinion of someone else, like thinking them a knob, and them actually being a knob?
Calm down dear. It's a discussion of cheap high street clothing. Nothing to get so upset about.

I haven't been in the shop for a few years so I defer to your knowledge of their pricing. I did notice that they never have a sale. I wonder if that is a deliberate strategy.

even reached Bath, my nephew was all super dried up 3 years ago -
Yes about the same time in South Devon the kids were all wearing the stuff. I guess there must have been a branch of their shops that opened up but I never saw it. I hate having things written on my clothes and avoid logos. But then I am long past being a kid.

I haven't been in the shop for a few years so I defer to your knowledge of their pricing. I did notice that they never have a sale. I wonder if that is a deliberate strategy.
Can quite often get their stuff on sale elsewhere but no it's not cheap. £50 for a hoody?

Yes about the same time in South Devon the kids were all wearing the stuff. I guess there must have been a branch of their shops that opened up but I never saw it. I hate having things written on my clothes and avoid logos. But then I am long past being a kid.
Glut of SuperDry in TKs more likely...

I have an imitation Barbour waxed cotton jacket, it's waterproof but ain't warm. Also an old brown leather jacket with some buttons missing which is way warm. Guess which one I wear?
I guess it depends on whether the weather is cold or wet. You are allowed to wear a jumper or second shirt under the imitation Barbour. I don't understand how the brown leather jacket can be "way" warm if there are buttons missing. Get those buttons fixed, leather is water resistant up to a point.

I guess it depends on whether the weather is cold or wet. You are allowed to wear a jumper or second shirt under the imitation Barbour. I don't understand how the brown leather jacket can be "way" warm if there are buttons missing. Get those buttons fixed, leather is water resistant up to a point.
Pass that point though and you will regret the soggy slowly stiffening smelly brown mass you had the notion to call 'jacket'.

Pass that point though and you will regret the soggy slowly stiffening smelly brown mass you had the notion to call 'jacket'.
I have a (black) leather jacket that is about ten years old. I stopped wearing it only this year when the zip finally failed beyond repair. I used to wear it in the rain a bit and found it better than a waterproof jacket because it holds some of the water while waterproof jackets let it run straight down on to your trousers. The old traditional gaberdine mac had a similar function. 'Tis gone now though so I will spend the cost of a new zip on a new jacket of some kind.

I'd love one of these jackets but I am not paying £180 for bit of waxed duster. Waxed Cotton Anorak £179.

But if it's quality it'll be worth the money. My Barbour cost £180. It'll be 11 yrs old this year, I had to rewax it last year for the first time. The day it leaked the weather was appalling. I was driving at 20mph with the wipers on full speed! :eek:
As I said earlier even though it was wet it was still warm. It's the most I've ever spent on an item of clothing but I'd say it was well worth it.
I really like the smell of waxed cotton :D

Superdry jackets seem to have been the choice of the discerning, middle aged, grizzled, "perpetual teenager" type guys round here for a while now.

You must know the type, wrong side of 50, slacks, totally mismatched "nice shoes" or even trainers and an overtight Superdry zipped-up all the time, giving them a strange long but concertinaed body on little wee leggies look. Sometimes with a particularly miserable beanie hat on top.

Still, I suppose the branding puts the outfit on the right side of "smart casual" for pub/club bouncers and the like, so they can go play with the fashionable kids but it does fuck-all for anything but a comedic sartorial style.

Mind you, their sales methods may play a part - Last time I was looking for a new jacket, I did give the Superdry store a try and despite the product sizing being quite fictional - Not one jacket in my size actually fitted, some would be down to my knees and hanging-loose on my shoulders, whilst another would be so small/tight that I'd have no hope of even getting it on unzipped. The sales assistant did make-it up to me by frequently rubbing her tits against me as she helped me get the garments on and off. Then her boss hit-on me! :D

I have started taking the Thameslink to work and everybody on it, except for me, has been issued with a North Face jacket. Sartorial diversity returns as soon as I change back onto the tube.

just had to share, my mum bought a super dry mini rucksack because she thought it was water resistant:)
Well you would think that.. we also thought that when we bought sprog a SuperDry jacket!
I feel quite cheated that it may not be!!
:)

Back
Top Bottom