Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Waxed Jackets. WTF?

i have 2 barbours. one that looks like has been ravaged by rats , smells like a midden and has the glossy shine that toffs pay good money for. it has capacious shoplifter inside pockets. The other is new. literally never worn - with a fleece lining that I got a a charity shop for 40 quid, this is for more formal occasions . the are both appalling yet wonderful in their own way.Feast on the patina0434FA75-B723-46E8-857E-E5D1FB5630F4.jpegBDA3D74E-A14D-4AD7-9150-701917681C9C.jpeg0CE4C83F-E4A1-4DEB-A840-DAE89B0E5F95.jpeg

Last edited:
they are no substitutefor modern layering if you want to be out and out in like, weather.

I have always found that old toffs with the manky ones are surprisingly OK once you get to know them and dont act like a twat. the ones with new barbours should be avoided tho'

I'm from the North though. I don't need 'modern layering'. I bought it simply because it was aesthetically pleasing to my eye. Plus, what alternatives do middle aged blokes have? Superdry? North Face?

Have a look on the Barbour website IIRC there's cleaning instructions there.

I've never cleaned any of mine beyond a wipe down and rewax. I've been wearing waxies since 1985. I love them, but brand new ones don't have the style of older ones, like brogues they need to be worn in a bit to look their best.

they are no substitutefor modern layering if you want to be out and out in like, weather.

I have always found that old toffs with the manky ones are surprisingly OK once you get to know them and dont act like a twat. the ones with new barbours should be avoided tho'
You always should buy a size up from your regular size, this is to allow for layering. Some come with fleece or quilted detachable linings to make layering simpler too.

I'm from the North though. I don't need 'modern layering'. I bought it simply because it was aesthetically pleasing to my eye. Plus, what alternatives do middle aged blokes have? Superdry? North Face?

For some reason I thought you were Irish.
I’ve prob made a mixup based on posting style. :oops:

They were all the rage in the late 80s. I got one then and still have it, but it's a little snug now. I love all the pockets. I used to wear it for walking rather than just going out and about.

You can buy a liquid solution that will coat a garment in wax when put through a washing machine. Can't remember what it was called but such a thing does exist.
There's Fabsil and Nikwax, probably only for restoring stuff that's lost its waterproofishness. If you want to wax any old jacket I guess you could just chuck some candles in and put it on a boil wash :pinky:

There's Fabsil and Nikwax, probably only for restoring stuff that's lost its waterproofishness. If you want to wax any old jacket I guess you could just chuck some candles in and put it on a boil wash :pinky:
I use Barbour wax. I warm it to melting point and wipe it onto the fabric. I then heat the jacket using a hairdryer. This helps spread the wax and make it less obviously rewaxed.

Barbour has, or used to have, a cleaning, waxing, repair service.

Still do.

They are pretty good, if you send it up for a specific repair and a re-wax they'll usually do any other little bits of TLC they find.

Nikwax do a spray on re-wax - it's certainly easier than the proper way of doing it, but I don't think it works anything like as well for as long.

I have a Barbour it’s wipe clean. If there’s a couple of sunny days hang it on the washing line get it aired gets rid of odours.
useful for demos. A few years ago there was a particularly lively National Action demo. It was great for getting through police lines while SUTR were trapped by the police.

Believe Spymaster is a waxed jacket authority too

Pretty sure I've never washed one though. Just let any crap dry, then brush it off. I've got a clip in furry liner too which I've always just chucked in the washing machine (about twice in 30 years). I've just retired my last waxy to the boot of the car, as it made not-bono-ever's look pristine and probably wouldn't hold-up to serious weather any more. It wasn't worth rewaxing so I sprayed it.

Modern fabrics do a far better job of weatherproofing the wearer now (my traditional plug for Percussion Clothing here) at half the cost of Barbour, without the weight and smell, so wax is really just for traditionalists. If I buy another I'll get a used one off eBay.

Last edited:
I'm a solid trades unionist. Not sure what that looks like tbh but if I look like a Tory then who gives a fuck really? If anything it's amusing.

I'm reminded of the anarchists of old that would dress like city gentlemen. Unlike some of the bums in more recent times.
My first one was really useful on the picket line in 1987.

I've had a Barbour for a few years, a Land Rover Discovery or summit edition which is more like a bomber jacket shape than a traditional 'country' affair shape.
Can't say I wear it very often.

Bought a nice water-proof jacket from some shop in Brick Lane a month or so ago that looks much better. :) Looking forward to some rainy autumn days so it can be worn.

Still have my beloved knackered old Fjallraven water-proof that saw many days of clay-shooting in the rain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom