Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So, I've designed some jackets.

Plus I think it is something to be proud of. He’s chosen the designs, he’s chosen the jackets, he’s created a new bit of clothing that frankly looks cool. People will always magpie ideas, take them and mix em up new. Go for it.

(edit: this is assuming he’s paid for the designs as he says).

Plus I think it is something to be proud of. He’s chosen the designs, he’s chosen the jackets, he’s created a new bit of clothing that frankly looks cool. People will always magpie ideas, take them and mix em up new. Go for it.

he totally hasn't paid commercial licensing on these designs.

Is supporting oneself through theft 'better than signing on'?

And you're assuming the OP isn't signing on.
Theft is a strong word here. And maybe he is signing on, I dunno his personal circumstances.

On the balance of things tho, yes I do have more respect for people who try to get by in life without signing on. Obviously it’s there as a safety net for those who are misfortunate enough to need it (and sadly with covid that’s gonna be a lot more people, and I do not begrudge them at all, they’ve paid in it’s theirs after all). But I do also think that each of us has a duty not to rely on others in society if we can possibly help it. That’s just basic social responsibility.

Theft is a strong word here. And maybe he is signing on, I dunno his personal circumstances.

On the balance of things tho, yes I do have more respect for people who try to get by in life without signing on. Obviously it’s there as a safety net for those who are misfortunate enough to need it (and sadly with covid that’s gonna be a lot more people, and I do not begrudge them at all, they’ve paid in it’s theirs after all). But I do also think that each of us has a duty not to rely on society if we can possibly help it. That’s just basic social responsibility.
I'd rather somebody signed on than made money from selling my work tbh.

But I do also think that each of us has a duty not to rely on others in society if we can possibly help it. That’s just basic social responsibility.
Does that include not relying on others to spend their time producing designs for you to steal?
Maybe the original artists, who were kind enough to share their work for personal use, wish to make money from that work, hence the non commercial license?
Does an artist's right to profit from their own work not trump the right of someone to steal it and deprive the artist of money? What if the images are the artists' only source of income, which is quite likely.
There is no defending this. If a commercial license wasn't obtained, it's theft, and I don't believe for a second that these images were paid for for commercial purposes, but I'm open to correction, and I'll apologise if necessary.

On the balance of things tho, yes I do have more respect for people who try to get by in life without signing on. Obviously it’s there as a safety net for those who are misfortunate enough to need it (and sadly with covid that’s gonna be a lot more people, and I do not begrudge them at all, they’ve paid in it’s theirs after all). But I do also think that each of us has a duty not to rely on others in society if we can possibly help it. That’s just basic social responsibility.

It was an uneeded punch down wasn't it though? No one has mentioned benefits, or working for that matter. If you would have said it was better than being a landlord I would have agreed.

"Social responsibility" isn't about going to work for a shitty boss that is profiting off of your labour. You can sign on and contribute in ways that are much more effective and with much bigger impact than going to work.

I don't really have a problem with Moody but their post here was a bit short sighted wasn't it? Generally people don't like to see individual and usually skint artists get ripped off. I don't know if that's what has happened here or not, and I definitely don't feel it was Moody's intention to do so but I understand the reaction. If they were purposely targeting people who can't protect their work then that would be out of order.

I wonder if you'd have the same reaction if these were Fred Perry knockoffs. Personally I'd have no problem with that. Would you consider that to be better than signing on?

I think there are big businesses doing this all the time. I have a lot less time for them than for someone who just got enthusiastic and made a few jackets to sell to friends. I doubt moody thought he was doing anything wrong unlike big business who know exactly what they do when they rip off some artists work and make a mint out of it.
I doubt moody is making a mint.... I could be wrong...but I doubt it.

I think there are big businesses doing this all the time. I have a lot less time for them than for someone who just got enthusiastic and made a few jackets to sell to friends. I doubt moody thought he was doing anything wrong unlike big business who know exactly what they do when they rip off some artists work and make a mint out of it.
I doubt moody is making a mint.... I could be wrong...but I doubt it.

Pretty much this.

It was an uneeded punch down wasn't it though? No one has mentioned benefits, or working for that matter. If you would have said it was better than being a landlord I would have agreed.

"Social responsibility" isn't about going to work for a shitty boss that is profiting off of your labour. You can sign on and contribute in ways that are much more effective and with much bigger impact than going to work.

I don't really have a problem with Moody but their post here was a bit short sighted wasn't it? Generally people don't like to see individual and usually skint artists get ripped off. I don't know if that's what has happened here or not, and I definitely don't feel it was Moody's intention to do so but I understand the reaction. If they were purposely targeting people who can't protect their work then that would be out of order.

I wonder if you'd have the same reaction if these were Fred Perry knockoffs. Personally I'd have no problem with that. Would you consider that to be better than signing on?
I think it's extremely unlikely Edie would ever say that...

I just would like to point out that there are many very brilliant artists who are on the dole and some have been on it intermittently since the 2006 crash.
Artists generally don't make a lot of money unless extremely well connected to top galleries.
A small few hit a vein and everything flows for them.
Most dont.

I assume these work in the same way as music libraries. Almost all are free to download and use, but if they are used commercially you have to pay up.
I'm not sure downloading other peoples images onto other peoples jackets is 'designing' as such, but it can be a bit of fun if not a commercial venture. I'm always doing my own one off T-Shirts these days (though I do use my own images).
Where do you get your one offs done? Are the t shirts decent quality?

If the images / art used were over 150 years old you could get away with it and not be infringing copyright.
But ... what you're using is not over 150yrs old.

So I design stuff with my own art...just for myself and I make gifts for family and friends. Occasionally someone in Australia or the UK might actually buy one of my designs. I made €25 one year after expensessnd production costs were deducted. Just mugs, t -shirts, coasters, cards .. all on Redbubble....

But if I wanted I could use art like this..View attachment 234851

Because its nearly 200 years old.

Or I could use View attachment 234852

But using art by someone who is still alive or less that 150 yrs old is considered a copyright breach unless they've given permission for it to be shared or used in any way. Someone's art is theirs and just because they share it online doesn't mean its free automatically.

Having said that...I'd be proper chuffed if someone used art of mine on a jacket. 😁
The copyright expiry period in the UK isn't as clear as 150 years, it can be life of creator plus 70 years for some items. Artistic, literary and musical items all have different expiry periods.

You need to get outside your bubble a little more often mate. Cos for the vast majority of people in this country going to work, supporting your own family, and paying taxes is seen as being socially responsible and the right thing to do if at all possible. It really is only a few on the loony left who think signing on is a valid lifestyle choice. Like I say, I’ve got no problem with those signing on if they need to. But don’t give me this “contribute in other ways” crap like it’s a choice, it’s demeaning to those folk who do wanna work but can’t.

I think it's extremely unlikely Edie would ever say that...
I’ve no idea what this means but as your a bit of a creepy jack in the box whenever my name comes up I’m gonna assume it’s you having another pop at me and call you a weirdo.

I think maybe it's an oversight/misunderstanding on moody 's part regarding the licensing.

Maybe if he were to approach the artist(s) concerned, explain and perhaps suggest some sort of deal, everyone is a winner.

His jackets get made and sold, the artist also gets money, plus, the artist might have some good ideas for further projects where moody's entrepreneurial edge could benefit them all. :)

You need to get outside your bubble a little more often mate. Cos for the vast majority of people in this country going to work, supporting your own family, and paying taxes is seen as being socially responsible and the right thing to do if at all possible. It really is only a few on the loony left who think signing on is a valid lifestyle choice. Like I say, I’ve got no problem with those signing on if they need to. But don’t give me this “contribute in other ways” crap like it’s a choice, it’s demeaning to those folk who do wanna work but can’t.

Haha little bubble. Cause the world you live in is so real right? There are people who do everything they can to survive and for those around them. They might not work in a formalised wage industry, but they do work.
I'm not talking about lifestyles here, or people that choose to live a certain way as a political statement. Stuff your morals of what work is, and what work is valid.

Where do you get your one offs done? Are the t shirts decent quality?
I do mine at the t-shirt studio. T-Shirt Printing | Personalised Hoodies | Personalised Gifts
You can choose the quality of t-shirt. I tend to only go for one or two colours and do them in photoshop layers as if they were going to be screen printed. They know what to do, and if I have a white layer on a black t-shirt they do that first and then print the next one on top. My daughter does designs for her friends, and I'll just do a cup or a hat or whatever a bonus birthday or Christmas gifts.
Prices are reasonable and so is customer service.

Haha little bubble. Cause the world you live in is so real right? There are people who do everything they can to survive and for those around them. They might not work in a formalised wage industry, but they do work.
I'm not talking about lifestyles here, or people that choose to live a certain way as a political statement. Stuff your morals of what work is, and what work is valid.
Who are these people and what kind of work do they do? Maybe I’m just misunderstanding.
"loony left" :D :facepalm:
I threw that in for fun :D

I really hope you're kidding here. Using other people's art to make money is a shit way to behave, and yup, he didn't pay for the designs. Even if he had, this is literally printing someone else's art on someone else's jacket. It's like those sites at the seaside where you could get your faces printed on a t-shirt.

And he won't be making any money via this anyway. Even though he said he had designed this, which annoys me because it's a fucking far-out definition of "design", actual artists don't make much money from this.

Most artists who put their stuff online, the stuff they actually made, also don't make any liveable income off it. People using their designs does not help.

Back
Top Bottom