Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Waxed Jackets. WTF?

I'm from the North though. I don't need 'modern layering'. I bought it simply because it was aesthetically pleasing to my eye. Plus, what alternatives do middle aged blokes have? Superdry? North Face?
North face are good..the triclimate ones. Three jackets in one. Put em all together for winter.
I had one and lost it.

I'm not a massive gardener either truth be told.
But the barbour hangs by the back door waiting for me to become worthy of it

I have one that looks the same as not-bono-ever 's that i bought for next to nothing from a second hand market stall and intended to re-wax and do outdoors allotment kind of stuff with the kids when they were younger, but it just hung in the garage for years to be rescued just the other day covered in mould. Never got an allotment either. I might post a before and after if I do re-wax it, it cleaned up easily but does smell a bit.

I eye up new ones that I really like and can't make a decision so I don't have another one. Barbour or cool urban Scandi raincoat? It's like the fucking toaster again.

I use my Barbour jacket - & matching trousers - as m/c kit ... I bought them {second hand} in the late 1970s or early 1980s !

It's had several spells of being worn for on-bike commuting but it is surprisingly good condition, largely as I have never come off the bike while wearing it. Actually, touch wood, I've not landed on the road.
The pop-on liner gets washed, the inside wiped down - never tried fabric de-odouriser, that's an idea ! - and gets refinished every so often when / where I suspect it might be tempted to let water in.

It has a characteristic smell, not unpleasant, and gets aired out in the garden in suitable weather.
Getting it dry again after doing a journey of almost 100 miles in a biblical style downpour was a challenge in the small shared flat I lived in at the time !

Oh, one of our previous dogs - a chunky lab - had a waxed cotton coat for his last few years, as he was into long walks in any weather !
Ben {the current dog} just isn't big enough to wear it comfortably, so sadly, it now needs some refurbishment.

I eye up new ones that I really like and can't make a decision so I don't have another one. Barbour or cool urban Scandi raincoat? It's like the fucking toaster again.

Best rain gear I've ever had was/ is a raincoat by Rains. It fits over my North Face long puffa (which is rubbish in rain and 25 yrs old i think) and is the best thing for being outdoors in winter. I look 2 stone heavier but who cares.

Best rain gear I've ever had was/ is a raincoat by Rains. It fits over my North Face long puffa (which is rubbish in rain and 25 yrs old i think) and is the best thing for being outdoors in winter. I look 2 stone heavier but who cares.

I was looking at Rains the other day too. I really like the long jacket. But then what colour?

I'm from the North though. I don't need 'modern layering'. I bought it simply because it was aesthetically pleasing to my eye. Plus, what alternatives do middle aged blokes have? Superdry? North Face?
Yes, that's quite correct. Middle aged blokes really do only have three manufacturers of coat they can wear.

You could try shopping, or is that too pansy for a big, rugged northerner that doesn't need 'modern layering'? :p :D

Last edited:
And red trousers. Don't forget the red trousers. :rolleyes:

(I've never worked out where Lincolnshire is and whether it's even a place or a figment of a sausage maker's imagination. Like Shropshire which doesn't even have sausages AFAIA.)
I like my red trousers. I like my waxy. I wear them together. I was born, and now have a holiday home, in Lincolnshire. I no longer have Hunters though.

Back
Top Bottom